The Student Room Group

how long does it take for you to die from not urinating?

how long does it take for a human to die from not urinating?
good question
Reply 2
Ask a Roman.
Reply 3
Wouldn't happen, the body won't kill itself when it can force it to happen.

Unless this is down to dehydration being so severe in which case not long.
Reply 4
Original post by Bio 7
Wouldn't happen, the body won't kill itself when it can force it to happen.

Unless this is down to dehydration being so severe in which case not long.

what If you're drinking enough but can't use the toilet?
drink water plez like even when I don’t drink any water I still pee. If you’re not peeing minimum 2 days then seek medical attention plez
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
what If you're drinking enough but can't use the toilet?

Like a prostate problem? Go to a hospital and get them to help you quickly and give you medication. You wouldn't die from this I imagine but it would cause problems and obviously needs fixed before it can cause harm.
Reply 7
One way to find out. See how long you can last, but you'll probably embarrass yourself rather than die.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
Like a prostate problem? Go to a hospital and get them to help you quickly and give you medication. You wouldn't die from this I imagine but it would cause problems and obviously needs fixed before it can cause harm.

no I am a female so I don't have a prostate problem
Reply 9
no I am a female so I don't have a prostate problem

Still go to hospital, we won’t be able to help you here.
Reply 10
Are you talking about drinking enough and can't pee or can't pee as in can't go to a toilet?
It you can't find or go to one I would go when you have one around.

If you can't pee physically then go see your GP :smile:
Original post by Elektra06
Are you talking about drinking enough and can't pee or can't pee as in can't go to a toilet?
It you can't find or go to one I would go when you have one around.

If you can't pee physically then go see your GP :smile:

can't pee even though I am drinking enough
if you are having problems with your waterworks you should see your doctor.
If your drinking at the same rate that your perspiring probably quite a long time.
If you're asking for yourself, you need to see a doctor ASAP. There could be an issue with your bowel moments or your bladder
how long does it take for a human to die from not urinating?

Urinary retention - Urinary retention occurs when someone cannot empty their bladder completely. Instead of all the urine being passed out through the urethra, some remains in the bladder.

Acute urinary retention is extremely painful and causes abdominal bloating. There may not be any noticeable symptoms with chronic urinary retention. If present, symptoms can include urinary incontinence and urinary tract infections. There can be an increased urge to wee more frequently, difficulty getting started and producing a weak or interrupted stream of urine when weeing. There may also be mild abdominal discomfort.
This is not necessarily retention. It could theoretically also be a kidney profusion issue, or any number of other renal problems.

If you have had literally no urine output for a few days then you should see a doctor ASAP.

To give you an idea of what you should be producing if you’re well in yourself and properly hydrated you can use the following formula: 0.5 ml per kg of your weight per hour. ( Obviously this doesn’t have to come out religiously once an hour every hour but over all that’s the kind of amount you should make.)

E.g if you weigh 60kg and haven’t urinated for 3 hours the next time you do you should expect around 90ml. Don’t get too carried away with micro managing this, urine output will vary through the day, it’a long term under production that is potentially problematic.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest