The Student Room Group

How to become a zoologist?

Hi I am thinking of doing a zoology degree and want to be a zoologist. But I am unsure of how to be one as there aren't any job recruitment pages open. If there are any zoologists out there please can you tell me how you became a zoologist. Also are there any other jobs that I can do with a zoology degree. I want to work with animals but don't want to be a zookeeper.

Thanks
Do you want to work more with wild or domestic animals?
I'm applying for a zoology degree, and hope to work in wildlife conservation, but there are many different options out there.
Original post by Kinyonga
Do you want to work more with wild or domestic animals?
I'm applying for a zoology degree, and hope to work in wildlife conservation, but there are many different options out there.

I want to work with wild animals. Wildlife conservation does sound like a good place to work however is there any salary or is it voluntary.
Original post by TSR_User2001
I want to work with wild animals. Wildlife conservation does sound like a good place to work however is there any salary or is it voluntary.

Certainly not voluntary, no. Here're the first couple of websites which come up when you type in "wildlife conservation job" -
https://www.conservationjobboard.com/category/wildlife-jobs
https://www.environmentjob.co.uk/jobs/34-conservation-wildlife

I suggest you look up some organisations, such as the RSPB or WWF. Some of the jobs are for more boring (IMO), admin-related stuff, and some of it's work actually in the field. I've seen examples such as protecting a species of bird during nesting time, tagging animals, being a park warden... There's also stuff like tour guide to consider, whether in the UK, a cruise ship in the Arctic, or a van on the savannah.
Certainly not voluntary, no. Here're the first couple of websites which come up when you type in "wildlife conservation job" -
https://www.conservationjobboard.com/category/wildlife-jobs
https://www.environmentjob.co.uk/jobs/34-conservation-wildlife

I suggest you look up some organisations, such as the RSPB or WWF. Some of the jobs are for more boring (IMO), admin-related stuff, and some of it's work actually in the field. I've seen examples such as protecting a species of bird during nesting time, tagging animals, being a park warden... There's also stuff like tour guide to consider, whether in the UK, a cruise ship in the Arctic, or a van on the savannah.

Thanks but I want to do study and research jobs like a zoologist. However I can't find any zoologist job recruitment pages. Do you know any zoologists
Thanks but I want to do study and research jobs like a zoologist. However I can't find any zoologist job recruitment pages. Do you know any zoologists

I think you need to be more specific than just typing in "zoology jobs". What area of zoology are you interested in? Do you want to study animal behaviour, evolution, genetics...?
I think you need to be more specific than just typing in "zoology jobs". What area of zoology are you interested in? Do you want to study animal behaviour, evolution, genetics...?

I don't know yet. I want to be able to interact and see animals in captivity or in the wild. I think animal behaviour research is more concise
I don't know yet. I want to be able to interact and see animals in captivity or in the wild. I think animal behaviour research is more concise

I'm not sure of a specific research-based job, although doubtless there are some out there. Perhaps someone else can help?
I'm not sure of a specific research-based job, although doubtless there are some out there. Perhaps someone else can help?

Ok thanks. Just wondering where do you want to work. As in location (UK, Africa...)
Ok thanks. Just wondering where do you want to work. As in location (UK, Africa...)

Honestly I love all the wild places our planet has, so would be happy working pretty much anywhere. But I do have a preference of where I want to live, which is Kenya (lived there for a few years, absolutely love the place, the people, the animals), so working there would be easier from that point of view.
How about you?
Honestly I love all the wild places our planet has, so would be happy working pretty much anywhere. But I do have a preference of where I want to live, which is Kenya (lived there for a few years, absolutely love the place, the people, the animals), so working there would be easier from that point of view.
How about you?

I come from India but not willing to live there. I would much prefer to work in a zoo but doing research or studying animals. But not certain
I come from India but not willing to live there. I would much prefer to work in a zoo but doing research or studying animals. But not certain

Oh that's cool. My grandfather was born in India - I've only been once, when I was five, but I'm probably going to be going back this year so I'm really excited :smile: I love England, but don't think I'd want to base in such a western country.
Oh that's cool. My grandfather was born in India - I've only been once, when I was five, but I'm probably going to be going back this year so I'm really excited :smile: I love England, but don't think I'd want to base in such a western country.

Ok thats cool. I would love to be based in a zoo in USA. My first choice however is a veterinary degree (if I haven't mentioned already) but being a vet is competitive thats why I have this zoology option as a backup incase. What did you get in ur GCSEs btw
Ok thats cool. I would love to be based in a zoo in USA. My first choice however is a veterinary degree (if I haven't mentioned already) but being a vet is competitive thats why I have this zoology option as a backup incase. What did you get in ur GCSEs btw

Ah, I see. I considered being a vet, but I don't think I could deal with having to put animals down. Might still get a qualification, later on in life, perhaps as a wildlife vet.
I didn't do GCSEs. I was in the French system at that point and as their equivalent is not obligatory, and I had just arrived from the English system, my parents didn't want me to do it. But now I don't have any qualification in maths, so I have to do a GCSE this year haha.
Ah, I see. I considered being a vet, but I don't think I could deal with having to put animals down. Might still get a qualification, later on in life, perhaps as a wildlife vet.
I didn't do GCSEs. I was in the French system at that point and as their equivalent is not obligatory, and I had just arrived from the English system, my parents didn't want me to do it. But now I don't have any qualification in maths, so I have to do a GCSE this year haha.

ok thats cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending