The Student Room Group

Has the hijab lost its meaning?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samiharifayat
I'm a muslim and I wear a hijab.

I've come across muslim women via the internet (especially youtube and instagram) who wear a hijab, but appear to not understand the purpose of it. Same with some of my muslim friends.

I wouldn't say I am a very religious person, but I am aware that wearing A LOT of make-up and being so conscious of one's own facial appearance completely diminishes the point of wearing a hijab.

The hijab is meant to be a symbol of modesty, but now it seems to be "trendy". I have no problem with people who do simply wear a scarf around their head as a fashion statement, but when it is for religious reasons..

that's where people are getting it so wrong.

What are your views on the hijab and what it stands for?
If you agree or disagree with my points, I would love to hear feedback regardless of your religious status. :smile:

i do agree that the hijab is supposed to cover your however, the fact that you said "completely diminishes the point of wearing a hijab" like was it really necessary to say that there isn't a point in wearing a hijab at least those YouTubers or whatever have chosen to wear it yes ok they may not wear it in the correct manner but at least they're wearing it and when people make remarks about how "oh you might as well not wear a scarf" or "what's the point" it makes them not want to wear it and it's just being really negative. lots of girls wear makeup so what. And if you have an issue with your "friends" wearing too much makeup you can be a good islamic sister and talk to them about it if you really cared.
yeah I understand, it takes a lot of guts taking off a hijab permanently after wearing it for a long time. i feel like muslim girls need to realise before they decide to put it on, why they are doing it. it's definitely not properly emphasised. And that's where the issue lies. People simply think its a garment showing pride to identify oneself as a muslim. While that is true, there is so much more.

Wearing a hijab is actually pretty immodest.
In 2005 I have done 9 months long ESOL class (English for foreigners). I was in a class of 14. I was the only man there. And a female teacher from Iran. There were 12 Muslim women in a different level of cover, 4 didn't wear any cover at all. I didn't know they were Muslim until they mentioned it. 2 wear some veil now and then, mostly as an accessory. One from Bangladesh began the course being 7 months pregnant and left 3 months pregnant again. We spoke about hijabs quite a lot. The most fanatical one had a serious issue with one of those wearing hijab as an accessory. But in general, they did agree that it is not necessary, it's just an unnecessary symbol.
Original post by BFG9000
In 2005 I have done 9 months long ESOL class (English for foreigners). I was in a class of 14. I was the only man there. And a female teacher from Iran. There were 12 Muslim women in a different level of cover, 4 didn't wear any cover at all. I didn't know they were Muslim until they mentioned it. 2 wear some veil now and then, mostly as an accessory. One from Bangladesh began the course being 7 months pregnant and left 3 months pregnant again. We spoke about hijabs quite a lot. The most fanatical one had a serious issue with one of those wearing hijab as an accessory. But in general, they did agree that it is not necessary, it's just an unnecessary symbol.

They have the jinn
Original post by Rectumfall
They have the jinn

how do you know?
Reply 45
Hello everyone,

This forum is very interesting and I've always been interested in this topic. Obv just to better myself as a muslim. I started wearing the hijab about 4 years ago and I'm attached to my hijab. I have never wanted to take it off in public and I even wear it at home lol (only because I'm too lazy to take it off after every prayer). But I do admit, I don't wear it appropriately. I think it is because I feel insecure with the way I wear my hijab, however I feel insecure without a hijab. I cover my hair, ears and neck, but my hair is in a doughnut bun, to give my head a bit of layer (camel hump D: i know) and I do wear lose clothing, but wouldn't consider it to be too lose (eg - wear leggings but make my top half until my bottom very lose).

I already am aware that I do not wear it properly, but my reason behind wearing a hijab was 'do it today, cause what if there is no tommorow'. Before, I used to wear the hijab I always used to think about it but never considered because of the area I was bought up in (very few ethnic minorities), thus I felt very insecure then. But one day I just decided to wear the hijab, without thinking anything of it and never took it off ever since. Even before wearing the hijab I was very into my religion, still used to wear lose and covered clothing, do daily prayers, read the quran etc, but I felt like wearing the hijab was the last step. I always think of it like, atleast I have the courage to wear the hijab and I'm glad I started wearing it now. Even when I started wearing the hijab, I started gaining respect from non-mahrams and they lower their gaze (even non-muslims) which I really liked. My life has changed for better when I started wearing the hijab. Maybe wearing one is just so powerful, I don't consider it to just be a cloth on my head.

But I agree with the last sister that claimed its all about your inner self - wearing a hijab means more than covering yourself. It's all about how you are as a person and what would please allah, and how your following islam. Not everyone is perfect, if you wear the hijab its not always going to be perfect either. I'm so inspired by those who cover themselves top to bottom, with a clean soul and are trying their best for the hereafter. You have to be beautiful on the inside before you think about your outer apperance. What do you think about my hijab story?
Anyone else thinking of Dina Tokio?
Original post by noorfq26
i do agree that the hijab is supposed to cover your however, the fact that you said "completely diminishes the point of wearing a hijab" like was it really necessary to say that there isn't a point in wearing a hijab at least those YouTubers or whatever have chosen to wear it yes ok they may not wear it in the correct manner but at least they're wearing it and when people make remarks about how "oh you might as well not wear a scarf" or "what's the point" it makes them not want to wear it and it's just being really negative. lots of girls wear makeup so what. And if you have an issue with your "friends" wearing too much makeup you can be a good islamic sister and talk to them about it if you really cared.

the hijab shouldn't be used as a fashion statement is what I'm trying to say, cos it feels like it's been used in that way considering people are ignorant to the responsibility that comes with a hijab
Original post by S-man10
Wearing a hijab is actually pretty immodest.

how so?
I wear it to show people i'm muslim mainly
Original post by BFG9000

yeah i know quite a lot of muslim girls who don't even wear a hijab, and i have no problem with that. the thing that bothers me is that the hijab is just being used as an accessory rather than a symbolic garment showing modesty.
Original post by HumbleBee_x

haha yeah i had her in mind
I wear it to show people i'm muslim mainly

yeah same, that's one of the purposes of a hijab along with modesty :smile:

I've come across muslim women via the internet (especially youtube and instagram) who wear a hijab, but appear to not understand the purpose of it. Same with some of my muslim friends.

I wouldn't say I am a very religious person, but I am aware that wearing A LOT of make-up and being so conscious of one's own facial appearance completely diminishes the point of wearing a hijab.

The hijab is meant to be a symbol of modesty, but now it seems to be "trendy". I have no problem with people who do simply wear a scarf around their head as a fashion statement, but when it is for religious reasons..

If you agree or disagree with my points, I would love to hear feedback regardless of your religious status. :smile:

Hm, if you dont mind could you tell me why you wear a hijab? It seems more of a traditional thing rather than religious and something that girls are not necessarily pressured into doing, but do it because they feel like they 'have' to.
Original post by anti__x
Hello everyone,

This forum is very interesting and I've always been interested in this topic. Obv just to better myself as a muslim. I started wearing the hijab about 4 years ago and I'm attached to my hijab. I have never wanted to take it off in public and I even wear it at home lol (only because I'm too lazy to take it off after every prayer). But I do admit, I don't wear it appropriately. I think it is because I feel insecure with the way I wear my hijab, however I feel insecure without a hijab. I cover my hair, ears and neck, but my hair is in a doughnut bun, to give my head a bit of layer (camel hump D: i know) and I do wear lose clothing, but wouldn't consider it to be too lose (eg - wear leggings but make my top half until my bottom very lose).

I already am aware that I do not wear it properly, but my reason behind wearing a hijab was 'do it today, cause what if there is no tommorow'. Before, I used to wear the hijab I always used to think about it but never considered because of the area I was bought up in (very few ethnic minorities), thus I felt very insecure then. But one day I just decided to wear the hijab, without thinking anything of it and never took it off ever since. Even before wearing the hijab I was very into my religion, still used to wear lose and covered clothing, do daily prayers, read the quran etc, but I felt like wearing the hijab was the last step. I always think of it like, atleast I have the courage to wear the hijab and I'm glad I started wearing it now. Even when I started wearing the hijab, I started gaining respect from non-mahrams and they lower their gaze (even non-muslims) which I really liked. My life has changed for better when I started wearing the hijab. Maybe wearing one is just so powerful, I don't consider it to just be a cloth on my head.

But I agree with the last sister that claimed its all about your inner self - wearing a hijab means more than covering yourself. It's all about how you are as a person and what would please allah, and how your following islam. Not everyone is perfect, if you wear the hijab its not always going to be perfect either. I'm so inspired by those who cover themselves top to bottom, with a clean soul and are trying their best for the hereafter. You have to be beautiful on the inside before you think about your outer apperance. What do you think about my hijab story?

thank you for your reply, it's inspiring to hear that there are muslim girls like you who do understand the hijab's purpose and significance - i thoroughly enjoyed reading your story in wearing the hijab. May Allah reward you for that. And I agree, ever since I wore the hijab I felt more powerful in the sense that people would be more respectful and focus on what really matters, my inner beauty (personality). What's on the inside tends to get overlooked by people's appearance, and that frustrates me. The hijab is so much more than a piece of clothing, and it makes me happy that you feel the same way.
Original post by englishnotlit
Hm, if you dont mind could you tell me why you wear a hijab? It seems more of a traditional thing rather than religious and something that girls are not necessarily pressured into doing, but do it because they feel like they 'have' to.

Well, i started wearing it at the age of 13 tbh my parents didnt want me to wear it, nor think/worry about it at such a young age. I wanted to anyway, i didnt really know the meaning of "hijab" the value of it and how it came about from our lord. I wore purely becsause i was so satisfied with wrapping it on my head and the material and colours you can get lol. Now, i'm quite old and i've learned a whole lot more behind why i wear it which has acctually made me proud to wear it. I also realised its not just about the covering the hair but other parts etc. So for me it was an experiance where i gradually learned more about my faith, nothing got to do with pressure or traditions. But its stated in the quran that a woman should wear the hijab at some point in her life, its compulsory.
Original post by englishnotlit

I don't mind. I know there are some places where people are pressured into wearing a hijab, and that's completely wrong because it's up to the person making the choice on whether they want to wear it or not.

I decided that I wanted to wear the hijab. There are some parts of my family where women didn't wear the hijab, and they weren't looked down for that. Then there are other parts, where they felt like it was necessary. But they don't wear it faithfully (they just wrap a scarf around their head now and then). Therefore, it was really up to me whether I wanted to wear one when the time came, or not. Personally, I was intrigued by the concept and symbolism of the hijab and wanted to take pride in the religion I was brought up in and so I started wearing one on the day I became a teenager.
Reply 57

I know of dina tokio, but I've never watched her.
Reply 58
thank you for your reply, it's inspiring to hear that there are muslim girls like you who do understand the hijab's purpose and significance - i thoroughly enjoyed reading your story in wearing the hijab. May Allah reward you for that. And I agree, ever since I wore the hijab I felt more powerful in the sense that people would be more respectful and focus on what really matters, my inner beauty (personality). What's on the inside tends to get overlooked by people's appearance, and that frustrates me. The hijab is so much more than a piece of clothing, and it makes me happy that you feel the same way.

I'm so happy to hear that from another sister, so thank you. It builds your courage even more and I hope girls love islam more and more everyday in sha allah.
Reply 59

Can I ask why you wear the hijab?

I see the reason why girls/women wear are for a number of reasons:-

1. It is an out ward sign of your religion

2. You hope by doing it you will get into paradise

3. The Quran commands you to? Could you provide specific references for this apart from being modest and because Mohammed's wives did, you have to?

4. You like the fact that men think you are special and you can avoid harassment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending