The Student Room Group

Turning 25 during first year... independent student?

Hi,

I am currently in my first year studying at university and turning 25 in January. I am having a bit of confusion over maintenance loan.

Does this mean I will be receiving the full maintenance loan for my second and third year as I will be an 'independent student'?

Thanks
Original post by rubyparkerx
Hi,

I am currently in my first year studying at university and turning 25 in January. I am having a bit of confusion over maintenance loan.

Does this mean I will be receiving the full maintenance loan for my second and third year as I will be an 'independent student'?

Thanks

Hi Ruby,

You must be referring to the higher amount of Maintenance Loan that is assessed based on your household income. Is that cirrect? Our general guideline is as follows:

Students who are over the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are automatically classed as independent. This allows them to have their application based on their own household income rather their sponsor(s).

Students who are under the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are classed as dependent. These students are required to have their sponsor(s) provide their financial details for the requested tax year in order for their application to be income assessed.

So you can provide us with your sponsors/parents income details for this year to apply for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan and as you correctly mentioned you can apply for the higher amount of Maintenance Loan for your second and third year of study without submitting your parents/sponsors income information.

Please let us know if there is anything further we can help with.

Thanks,
Shahrzad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending