The Student Room Group

Which University????

Literally just want some opinions- which university out of the following would you personally go to?

University of Leeds
-Classical Literature and Philosophy

University of Lincoln
-Classical Studies

University of Edinburgh
-Classics and English Literature

University of Manchester
-English Literature and History

University of Nottingham
-Classics and English
Reply 1
Original post by Evelynlikestea
Literally just want some opinions- which university out of the following would you personally go to?

University of Leeds
-Classical Literature and Philosophy

University of Lincoln
-Classical Studies

University of Edinburgh
-Classics and English Literature

University of Manchester
-English Literature and History

University of Nottingham
-Classics and English

Personally, I'd say Edinburgh is the most highly respected on your list as it has a very good international reputation which the other four lack.
Personally I would say Edinburgh, looks really nice and is probably the highest regarded , although you should probably take a close look at the courses available as they will likely vary at least to some extent
Original post by Chemnitz
Personally, I'd say Edinburgh is the most highly respected on your list as it has a very good international reputation which the other four lack.

I want to go to a uni that's good all around, including student life and accommodation, not just for international reputation.
Original post by PPPPe2019
Personally I would say Edinburgh, looks really nice and is probably the highest regarded , although you should probably take a close look at the courses available as they will likely vary at least to some extent

Yes I've looked at all the courses in depth as they're what I've applied for
Your best shot at getting an insight into what it’s really like is asking some current students from each of the unis. Good luck
Do you have offers for all of these universities? Which course do you actually want to do - "English Literature and History" does not equate to "Classics", or even necessarily "Classical Studies" (which in turn isn't the same as classics, the key difference being not studying the classical languages).

If you're interested in a broad range of ancient and medieval languages, the Nottingham course may be appealing since they have strengths in medieval studies and old English as well as it being classics course of course(which will typically have study of the languages included). This gives you quite a range of periods to study history/culture/literature and options to study related languages to Latin (old/middle English and old Norse), and linguistics options to support this.

The Edinburgh course will probably include the same classical language study as the Nottingham one, and may have options for other ancient or medieval languages (such as Celtic languages). The ancient universities tend to have a wider range of options for such courses as it's in their "tradition". Additionally, being an ancient Scottish university, their course structure is much more flexible than most other degrees and will allow you to pursue other interests, possibly very different ones, in the early part of the course.

Obviously if you have an interest in philosophy or modern history as well as potentially ancient history (depending on the structure of the course) then the obvious options are Leeds or Manchester, respectively, as they're the only courses that explicitly offer it (although the Manchester course has nothing to do with classics/classical studies other than potential options within the programme). That said, ancient history and/or philosophy are common components or options of classics or classical studies courses (but you may cover a broader range, and notably modern history, in those courses) so if it still the ancient options that are of interest, any of the classics/classical studies courses may appeal.
If you aren't interested in learning the classical languages or modern history/wider philosophy options, then the Lincoln course may suit. However it's quite possible you may be able to craft such a course structure from several of the other options.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Do you have offers for all of these universities? Which course do you actually want to do - "English Literature and History" does not equate to "Classics", or even necessarily "Classical Studies" (which in turn isn't the same as classics, the key difference being not studying the classical languages).

If you're interested in a broad range of ancient and medieval languages, the Nottingham course may be appealing since they have strengths in medieval studies and old English as well as it being classics course of course(which will typically have study of the languages included). This gives you quite a range of periods to study history/culture/literature and options to study related languages to Latin (old/middle English and old Norse).

The Edinburgh course will probably include the same classical language study as the Nottingham one, and may have options for other ancient or medieval languages (such as Celtic languages). The ancient universities tend to have a wider range of options for such courses as it's in their "tradition". Additionally, being an ancient Scottish university, their course structure is much more flexible than most other degrees and will allow you to pursue other interests, possibly very different ones, in the early part of the course.

Obviously if you have an interest in philosophy or modern history as well as potentially ancient history (depending on the structure of the course) then the obvious options are Leeds or Manchester, respectively, as they're the only courses that explicitly offer it. That said, ancient history and/or philosophy are common components or options of classics or classical studies courses (but you may cover a broader range, and notably modern history, in those courses).

If you aren't interested in learning the classical languages or modern history/wider philosophy options, then the Lincoln course may suit. However it's quite possible you may be able to craft such a course structure from several of the other options.

I've looked at all the courses, I know the course content, that isn't what I'm asking.
Original post by Evelynlikestea
I've looked at all the courses, I know the course content, that isn't what I'm asking.

Have you? They're completely different. Someone who knows what they want to study won't be asking which of those to go to, because half of them are irrelevant to a given interest and thus can be immediately ruled out.

If you only care about chasing prestige and don't care one jot what you're studying then go to Edinburgh, as it's the most "prestigious" (a dubious qualifier at best, and meaningless at worst) of the options. It's also easier to move between courses there due to the flexible structure (and/or try and pick "easy" options to fluff up your classification).
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you? They're completely different. Someone who knows what they want to study won't be asking which of those to go to, because half of them are irrelevant to a given interest and thus can be immediately ruled out.

If you only care about chasing prestige and don't care one jot what you're studying then go to Edinburgh, as it's the most "prestigious" (a dubious qualifier at best, and meaningless at worst) of the options. It's also easier to move between courses there due to the flexible structure (and/or try and pick "easy" options to fluff up your classification).

Yes I have, thanks very much. I'm asking which university people would go to in THEIR opinion and reasoning for that, whether it be for the city itself, the accommodation, the student life e.c.t.

I don't think anywhere in this thread I've mentioned 'chasing prestige' so that comment is completely irrelevant- I chose Edinburgh for the course and the city not for the 'prestige'. If I cared about that, I'd go to Oxford or Cambridge.

I'm asking opinions based on my choices, NOT what the course content is or to be questioned into my understanding of the courses.

Thanks
Original post by PPPPe2019
Your best shot at getting an insight into what it’s really like is asking some current students from each of the unis. Good luck

I was hoping some of the students from these uni's would drop onto this thread and perhaps give their experiences actually, though I've realised in hindsight I'm probably in the wrong place for that.
I think that "chasing prestige" is actually quite sensible in today's extremely competitive job market. If you have the grades to go to one of the more prestigious Universities, why not do so? It would be nice if employers weren't prejudiced in favour of certain Universities, but in reality, many of them are - so why take the risk?

For that reason, I would strike Lincoln off the list unless you are worried about achieving the higher grades that I assume the other four Universites on your list are asking for, and want to put them as your Insurance choice.
Going by reputation I’d pick Edinburgh (they’re my first choice if I get an offer for Evolutionary Biology) and if you don’t mind doing the extra year for a Scottish degree or can get second year entry it will be great just to say you’ve been there. They also offer the widest range of optional modules I’ve seen from any university which appeals to me. That being said Lincoln has a really nice campus integrated into the city but also surrounded by nature and I love how they’d done that.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'd pick Edinburgh
Personally I'm currently at Edinburgh and these are my opinions:
Student Life- very good, particularly if you are into the drinking culture. There is a lot of that- many socials for societies revolve around it. Also are more chilled societies for those not into it. I personally love it here
Accomodation- Yeah it's good. Some of it can be kinda far away from the uni though but most aren't. It's probably similar to all student accomodation though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending