The Student Room Group

UCL and Bath I dont understand

I havent got the offer/rejection from these two universities yet and according to Bath, they'll only get back to me after 15/1 and results will be out by 10/1, will they receive our results and decide whether they wanna give us an offer or is it still purely based on personal statement and the application itself?
Universities have until the 31st of March to make offers, and then you have until the 1st of May to accept up to two offers (a firm and an insurance).

For students studying A-levels, these will normally be conditional offers dependent on you later achieving given results in your summer exams (sometimes they might have other conditions, such as Maths courses requiring STEP). After the A-level results day (15th of August), your offer(s) will either become unconditional if you meet them, or you will have failed to meet the offer. You can contact the university/universities on results day if you missed your offer by a small margin to see if they will still accept you; some universities/courses are more flexible on this than others.

As such the offer will be based on everything in your UCAS application; personal statement, results to date in GCSEs etc, predicted grades, academic reference and so on. But an offer is not an acceptance necessarily; unless it is an unconditional offer, you still need to achieve some given result to be accepted overall.

...at least that's my understanding of it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Universities have until the 31st of March to make offers, and then you have until the 1st of May to accept up to two offers (a firm and an insurance).

For students studying A-levels, these will normally be conditional offers dependent on you later achieving given results in your summer exams (sometimes they might have other conditions, such as Maths courses requiring STEP). After the A-level results day (15th of August), your offer(s) will either become unconditional if you meet them, or you will have failed to meet the offer. You can contact the university/universities on results day if you missed your offer by a small margin to see if they will still accept you; some universities/courses are more flexible on this than others.

As such the offer will be based on everything in your UCAS application; personal statement, results to date in GCSEs etc, predicted grades, academic reference and so on. But an offer is not an acceptance necessarily; unless it is an unconditional offer, you still need to achieve some given result to be accepted overall.

...at least that's my understanding of it.

meaning my AS results will be sent off to all of the universities and these two might to predict my A levels results and decide whether to give me an offer?
Original post by hermione watson
meaning my AS results will be sent off to all of the universities and these two might to predict my A levels results and decide whether to give me an offer?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here...your teacher/academic reference sends your A-level predictions with your UCAS application, along with their reference. If you have taken AS exams already, you need to have entered these into your UCAS application, and universities may take account of these and your GCSE results (some do, some don't, and those that do to vary extents; it might also vary depending on course).

You haven't said what course you're applying to, so I have no idea to what extent GCSE or AS grades may be used by those universities. I believe UCL does consider GCSEs in assessing medicine applications; other courses, it might not (I doubt they're a major factor for maths, for example).
Universities have to give equal consideration to all who apply before 15 Jan. This is probably what Bath are telling you. They will consider your application alongside late applicants and advise you then.
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities have to give equal consideration to all who apply before 15 Jan. This is probably what Bath are telling you. They will consider your application alongside late applicants and advise you then.

yes i understand but my AS results will be out by 10/1, will they be receiving my AS results and use it as a factor whether to give me an offer?
Original post by hermione watson
yes i understand but my AS results will be out by 10/1, will they be receiving my AS results and use it as a factor whether to give me an offer?

They will receive them. They might take them into account. It’s at their discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending