The Student Room Group

Do you have a role model?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
:hugs:

You inspire me too.

Our stories, our breakthroughs, our journey is what makes us who we are - if we gift our stories, we help others take their brave steps. We're all human.

Well some of us are lions and some of us are guinea pigs but semantics :mmm:

Original post by Rock Fan
Of course I am the role model everyone should look too :colone: :ninja:

I know you are being joking but I admire your thread creation and how pleasant you are to me in the early hours :hugs:
In my personal life it would have to be my parent, they have put up with so much crap and abuse throughout their life it's amazing they are still going.
Original post by CoolCavy

Well some of us are lions and some of us are guinea pigs but semantics :mmm:

I know you are being joking but I admire your thread creation and how pleasant you are to me in the early hours :hugs:

Aha no worries, your name suits you well you are cool :hugs:
Original post by She-Ra
Do you have a role model? Does someone inspire you?

These days there are are a lot of every day people who act as influencers and share products from the brands they've sponsored on social media. They're followed in huge numbers because they're relatable.... right? So does that make them the new role models?

I'm reading Michelle Obama's autobiography - she has so much integrity - I haven't finished it yet, but so far her values shine through and it's something that resonates with me. She's certainly a role model that I look up too.

It doesn't have to be someone in the limelight, I have friends and colleagues who I look up too. They model behaviours that I really admire.

Who inspires you and why? :moon:

A polish friend of mine, respect him a lot because to me he was cool, calm, strong and smart. I respected that about him.
Reply 44
My doctoral supervisor is a hero (and very impressive academically) but I absolutely do not want to be like him, for he is utterly mad :laugh:
Cardboard tube really helps when you need to roll something up but it just won't cooperate. They are really good roll models.

This is probably a bit pedantic, but I don't think I really have any particular role models. There are a lot of people, actions, organisations etc that inspire me but I don't really look up to any specific people. I guess maybe it's along the lines of not putting all my eggs in one basket or maybe I'm just being really fussy with the term role model. I feel like there are a lof of people in this world who do good things, but
a) none of them are perfect and some people who do good (or impressive) things may not even be good people (or people I would want to be like personally) and
b) I don't want to be another person. I want to be me. There are so many things that can inspire, amaze and motivate me and I have my own personality and desires in life. I don't think I could really look up to or want to eminate just one person or even a handful.

Take Donald Trump for example (not looking to get into anything, just giving my thoughts), I don't agree with a whole lot of stuff he's done but I've got to admire that he managed to get into the Whitehouse and that he's managed to get such a following despite what I think it a lot of controversial views. That takes a lot of charizma, drive, determination, and all sorts of other words. I may not like what he's done or that he's done it, but I am impressed by it all the same. He is not at all what I would consider a role model, but he has done some impressive things.

There's also a lot of people who have done things or have something about them that I actually respect and like, but I don't know them or their story enough to actually see them as a role model or in some cases I just don't really care enough or personally feel a connection to anything else about them.
There's teachers, family, friends, acquaintances, you tubers, celebrities, film or TV characters etc who have all inspired, motivated or impressed me in some way. They aren't things that I particarly hold onto bit osme of them have probably helped shape me into who I am.

I think something that I have a lot of respect for at the moment is people who share some of the more personal parts of their lives to help spread awareness or just show people they aren't alone. There are people who blog or vlog or just generally share parts of their lives with chronic illnesses or health issues and a lot of them are frankly not amazing at that whole "entertainment" position. Be it because they have a terrible camera, they are shy, they can't write very well or whatever else they aren't always these naturally drawing people. But they are there sharing their story, likely through a fair bit of embarrassment or raw emotions, likely getting some backlash. All to give a better look into the live of somebody who's unwell.

I've personally taken a lot of benefit from some of those people (in fact one of them I a big reason behind one of my diagnosis because I would not have thought of it or known how to approach it otherwise) so there's some appreciation there and I just think that weather I really care about what's being shared or not it does take guts to share your life like that.

That's just one of many possible examples and that's kinda what I'm trying to get at here. Giving that one example almost feels like it's going an injustice to the medical staff who work over Christmas, the teachers who really try to see and support their students as people, the people who risk their lives to go down caves and rescue others, the people who give their time for something potentially boring or stressful because they see value in it, the people who create art that can change lives and the people who maybe go unnoticed but are doing their best at lives and achieving things big or small.
I guess I just don't feel I could put a lable on just one person or group when there's so much inspiration and wonder in the world.

Oh god I'm realising how cheesy anf sappy that must sound. If there were trees made of cheese this would be their blood. Oh well. :P
Reply 46
Original post by She-Ra
Do you think some people copycat their role models then? That's a really interesting point.

Not full-on copy (usually), but to me, a role model is someone you attempt to be similar to in some way - whether it's actions, thoughts, end product, big or little things, etc. To some people, I guess that would include 'copying' aspects of the target person. Whereas a person who simply has an 'idol' wouldn't try to be like them, just admire them.
i think i have loads of people who i admire and look up to but as a role model, probably Maya Angelou, Emma Watson, Alexis Moncada, Amani Al-Khatahtbeh

yeah
Original post by LeapingLucy
Her instagram stories are amazing! She used it to document "Congress camp" (the induction/orientation for a new congressperson). It was so interesting to see how the transition to a new government works behind the scenes.

I seriously think one day she will be America's first Hispanic president.
oof, i'm not too sure if i have any role models but can certainly appreciate certain people's talents and traits.
one of my 'role models' would be jon bellion- he's a (musical) artist and i have no aspirations to go into the music industry when i'm older but i can definitely admire his talents and qualities- his songs i've found all incredible in terms of sound, tone and words- each one's like a little story to me. one of the most creative and talented music artists imo as well as very down to earth (maybe i'm a little biased:lol:) and can always admire someone if they're truly passionate in what they do- it's inspiring to me and certain traits like that do make me try to change my perspective on life a little and behave differently.
I like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King. They are a couple of my role models. I don't agree with everything they did but I look up to them for standing up to abhorrent but socially accepted norms held by the majority of people of their time. It's not easy to be in a minority and stand up to a draconian majority. You need to be very brave. That bravery ultimately cost them their lives. I particularly look up to Malcolm for his eloquence and his life changes. Its not easy for people to make changes in their lives, to stop habits, to change and become a better person. Malcolm did all these things. He went from being a gangster and a thug and a drug abuser and criminal and prisoner to a teetotaller, a thinker, a philosopher, a leader and great inspiration for change to many.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/August-Landmesser-Almanya-1936.jpg
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by joshdarnit
if i'm to answer this honestly then yes, i have a few. Feel free to judge lol.

- buddha
- jacksepticeye (youtuber)
- captain america, the flash, spider-man

topofdamorningtoyaladdies
Original post by FloralHybrid
topofdamorningtoyaladdies

Look ma! We got another Irishman!
Not necesasrily a role model, but I have great admiration for SOFIA VERGARA <3
4chan has been my role model for almost 13 years now
Original post by She-Ra

These days there are are a lot of every day people who act as influencers and share products from the brands they've sponsored on social media. They're followed in huge numbers because they're relatable.... right? So does that make them the new role models?

I'm reading Michelle Obama's autobiography - she has so much integrity - I haven't finished it yet, but so far her values shine through and it's something that resonates with me. She's certainly a role model that I look up too.

It doesn't have to be someone in the limelight, I have friends and colleagues who I look up too. They model behaviours that I really admire.

to be honest my biggest role model is my mother, without her i would have noting. shes been through so much and come out a better person which just inspires me to do the same
Original post by livvieee
to be honest my biggest role model is my mother, without her i would have noting. shes been through so much and come out a better person which just inspires me to do the same

That's really sweet, she'd be over the moon to hear that
Reply 57
yeah Shawn Mendes
Original post by TommyDH
That's really sweet, she'd be over the moon to hear that
thank you :0
Original post by She-Ra

Ip Man! If you've seen the films, I think you can understand what makes him a good role model.

Quick Reply

Latest