The Student Room Group

Do I still have to apply via UCAS if I take a break in study until Sep 2019/20?

Hi all,

I decided to 'drop-out' from my 2018/19 Uni course in December at @Sheffield Hallam University. I was studying BA Business Economics but it wasn't for me. I spoke to someone at the University about withdrawing, and I had to fill these forms out to 'leave'. She recommended that I take a 'break-in study' until the next University year (until September) so they keep me on their records, and I believe she said I wouldn't have to apply via UCAS again if I wish to return. I think she mentioned that someone will be in contact during May/June asking if I wish to study there for the 2019/20 year.

So, I've now decided that I want to study BA Business Studies at the same University, but I'm wondering how I should go about this process. I'm not sure if I still need to apply via UCAS (despite the advisor at the University saying someone will be in contact. I just don't want to do what she said, then when it comes to the time it turns out I can't study for the 2019/20 academic year.

Also, I believe the deadline for UCAS was in January? I'm not sure if this is only for students applying via college or sixth form. Does having a UCAS account from 2018/19 make a difference with the process of applying?

If I don't have to apply again via UCAS, how do I go about applying through SFE if I haven't applied for a course through UCAS?
I actually had an offer to study BA Business Studies for 2018/19, I'm not sure if that's relevant at all for a place in the 2019/20 year.

I'm just wanting some clearance on the steps I should take to study in September 2019/20, I don't want to fully rely on what the advisor told me at the University for it to not be true.

If anyone can help that will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
I would contact the university directly and ask if it will be possible for you to change course before you return in September. You should probably do this as soon as possible.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
I would contact the university directly and ask if it will be possible for you to change course before you return in September. You should probably do this as soon as possible.

Thanks I'll be sure to do that. Just wondering how things would be in terms of SFE, too

EDIT: I'm assuming they'll contact SFE and change the course?
Original post by Savaged
Thanks I'll be sure to do that. Just wondering how things would be in terms of SFE, too

Student Finance England will cover 4 years of finance - 3 normal years plus a "gift" year in case, as in your case, the first course you try doesn't work out for you.

So you have 3 years of funding eligibility left - presuming that Business Studies at Sheffield Hallam is a three year course, you won't have any problems.
Reply 4
Original post by LeapingLucy
Student Finance England will cover 4 years of finance - 3 normal years plus a "gift" year in case, as in your case, the first course you try doesn't work out for you.

So you have 3 years of funding eligibility left - presuming that Business Studies at Sheffield Hallam is a three year course, you won't have any problems.

Yea it's a 3-year course so I guess I'd be safe. Would that still apply even though I 'dropped-out' of my course this year?
Original post by Savaged
Yea it's a 3-year course so I guess I'd be safe. Would that still apply even though I 'dropped-out' of my course this year?

Yes - you are stillentitled to 4 years of funding.
Original post by Savaged
Hi all,

I decided to 'drop-out' from my 2018/19 Uni course in December at @Sheffield Hallam University. I was studying BA Business Economics but it wasn't for me. I spoke to someone at the University about withdrawing, and I had to fill these forms out to 'leave'. She recommended that I take a 'break-in study' until the next University year (until September) so they keep me on their records, and I believe she said I wouldn't have to apply via UCAS again if I wish to return. I think she mentioned that someone will be in contact during May/June asking if I wish to study there for the 2019/20 year.
So, I've now decided that I want to study BA Business Studies at the same University, but I'm wondering how I should go about this process. I'm not sure if I still need to apply via UCAS (despite the advisor at the University saying someone will be in contact. I just don't want to do what she said, then when it comes to the time it turns out I can't study for the 2019/20 academic year.

Also, I believe the deadline for UCAS was in January? I'm not sure if this is only for students applying via college or sixth form. Does having a UCAS account from 2018/19 make a difference with the process of applying?

If I don't have to apply again via UCAS, how do I go about applying through SFE if I haven't applied for a course through UCAS?
I actually had an offer to study BA Business Studies for 2018/19, I'm not sure if that's relevant at all for a place in the 2019/20 year.

I'm just wanting some clearance on the steps I should take to study in September 2019/20, I don't want to fully rely on what the advisor told me at the University for it to not be true.

If anyone can help that will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Hi @Savaged

Well done on making your decision, this isn't an easy thing to do!

I've spoken to admissions for you about this and they said:

"Hi

They will need to contact the Hallam Helpdesk for their course area (SHIP 0114 225 5256/2882 or e-mail [email protected]) and speak to the designated Student Support about switching courses and returning to study.

They would not require to go through UCAS and would just request a course change through the SBS Faculty internal transfer process for the Sept 2019 intake.

We would recommend they contact SFE directly regarding re-applying for funding.

Thanks

Rick"

I hope that clears it up for you, let me know if you have anymore questions!
Bridget
Reply 7
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Savaged

Well done on making your decision, this isn't an easy thing to do!

I've spoken to admissions for you about this and they said:

"Hi

They will need to contact the Hallam Helpdesk for their course area (SHIP 0114 225 5256/2882 or e-mail [email protected]) and speak to the designated Student Support about switching courses and returning to study.

They would not require to go through UCAS and would just request a course change through the SBS Faculty internal transfer process for the Sept 2019 intake.

We would recommend they contact SFE directly regarding re-applying for funding.

Thanks

Rick"

I hope that clears it up for you, let me know if you have anymore questions!
Bridget

Sorry for the late reply @Sheffield Hallam University, I don't check this as much as I should! I'll be sure to contact the SHIP at some point next week. Will I receive some form of confirmation that I'll be attending the course I want to in the 2019/20 academic year? I know that I got this confirmation last year via UCAS, but since my circumstances are different this time around I just want to be sure my place will be confirmed - I don't want to wait months down the line to find out I'm not actually able to go onto the course.

What steps/checks would you advise me to do (in my circumstances) in preperation for the 2019/20 year?

Hope you can help :smile:
Original post by Savaged
Sorry for the late reply @Sheffield Hallam University, I don't check this as much as I should! I'll be sure to contact the SHIP at some point next week. Will I receive some form of confirmation that I'll be attending the course I want to in the 2019/20 academic year? I know that I got this confirmation last year via UCAS, but since my circumstances are different this time around I just want to be sure my place will be confirmed - I don't want to wait months down the line to find out I'm not actually able to go onto the course.

What steps/checks would you advise me to do (in my circumstances) in preperation for the 2019/20 year?

Hope you can help :smile:

Hi @Savaged

Once you have spoken to Student Support and the change of course has been processed Student Support will confirm this with you.

Thanks,
Helen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending