The Student Room Group

How do I pick my firm choice university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by FutureDoc01
But the sheer volume of knowledge that students have to know compared to the old spec is huge leading to lower grade boundaries which reflect just how hard they are. An example would be AQA a level biology which last year students needed just 53% for an A

Boundaries change every year, and for every subject. AQA Chem 2018 was 66% for an A.

I do agree that Y13 students do have a higher workload now than with modular A-levels, but that's mostly because they also need to revise Y12 content more thoroughly than before.

PS. It's helpful to quote the poster you are replying to so they get a notification.
Original post by Doonesbury
Boundaries change every year, and for every subject. AQA Chem 2018 was 66% for an A.

I do agree that Y13 students do have a higher workload now than with modular A-levels, but that's mostly because they also need to revise Y12 content more thoroughly than before.

PS. It's helpful to quote the poster you are replying to so they get a notification.

I dont have the data but I would assume grade boundaries now are lower than during the time of modular exams suggesting that they truly are harder. Also every person Ive talked who did modular exams has thanked their stars that they arent doing a levels now
Original post by Nnerojan7
I'd argue that GCSEs are not a very good indicator of ability, especially for top students.

Of course there are some students who underachieved in GCSEs but then excelled at A level. However, Universities receive so many applications that they have to find a way to differentiate between applicants. Although personal statements help they are all to some extent homogenous.
I'd argue that GCSEs are not a very good indicator of ability, especially for top students.

That was the point of the change to 9-1, although personally I don’t think it’s been done very well. We should focus on fixing GCSEs, not reverting the changes done to A2.
Yes but surely AS exams are a much better indicator and in comparison, GCSEs offer a very poor indication of how well a student does at A level.

Yeah you could argue that but by moving to linear a levels that option has been taken away so unis have had to rely more heavily on gcses
Is the social life aspect of universities really that significant considering the fact that you will most certainly be spending years at the institution and therefore will find a way to socialize?

Well that depends on the person. You must remember different people are going to uni with aims of getting different things. Some will devote all energy into their degree some not. Ofcourse some people will be content with making friends with people on the course and halls. But others will want a more prevalent party culture
I'm not sure if I'm wrong but isn't that a dangerous idea to propose, with 80k in debt on the line and partying being a priority?

Ofcourse getting a degree should always be a priority. But you'll spend atleast 3 years at Uni and you'll most likely be 18 when attending uni. I think you can appreciate why students would perhaps want a party scene at uni.
But for it to be a deciding factor

your right it shouldn't be a deciding factor but the overall social/university life of a uni should play a role in your decision making
Original post by notdyls
That was the point of the change to 9-1, although personally I don’t think it’s been done very well. We should focus on fixing GCSEs, not reverting the changes done to A2.

Are you a 2019 uni applicant? Have you chosen your firm? What did you think of the article?
Are you a 2019 uni applicant? Have you chosen your firm? What did you think of the article?

yeah i am. I chose my firm already, but the points you mentioned in the article are basically the same ones that I used to make my choice, I totally agree that there's more to choosing a uni than its position on the league tables.
How might this affect me if I've got relatively poor GCSEs?
Original post by Nerothehero123

At this point you would've already received your offer. But you could potentially yourself use your gcse results in conjunction with other factors to gauge where a realistic destination would be for you.
Reply 32
Original post by Nerothehero123

It doesn't at all if you have your offers.
Do you already have offers @Nerothehero123? If not, you might want to ask your question on a separate thread?
This thread went a bit off topic. Have a read, let me know what you think and feel free to ask any questions
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/advice/how-do-i-choose-my-firm-choice-university
Something I picked up from another thread: watch videos about the unis you’re looking at. You can only see so much on an open day, and YouTube often has a good selection of videos from students at the uni.
Original post by notdyls
Something I picked up from another thread: watch videos about the unis you’re looking at. You can only see so much on an open day, and YouTube often has a good selection of videos from students at the uni.

That's a shout. But every uni seems perfect on those videos meaning you still probably get a fair representation unless there the 'day in a life' videos made independently by students.
Reply 37
Well the whole point of this thread is feedback and discussion about the article i wrote...
Original post by Doonesbury
That's a shout. But every uni seems perfect on those videos meaning you still probably get a fair representation unless there the 'day in a life' videos made independently by students.

You can also find ones made by students themselves. Just remember that you might not be seeing everything about the university if you watch the ones on the unis own channel, they’re still good to get an idea of the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending