The Student Room Group

UCAS reference: Uni tutor or old school teacher? (HELP PLZ)

I am in the middle of my UCAS application to switch uni and start over first year, for my reference should I ask my uni tutor or an old school teacher? I feel as though the uni tutor would not give me a good reference as we only see him twice a month and a few times hes had to cancel. He doesn't really know much about me personally and the grades I got for January exams were bad, which is what I guess he would go off of. On the other hand I could ask an old school teacher who I got on really well with who taught me all the way through school and sixth form, and I believe he would provide a good reference. The only downside I think is that unis may want a reference from my tutor because he is more recent. Is it worth asking my tutor even though it may be bad?
Original post by john_iqbal786
I am in the middle of my UCAS application to switch uni and start over first year, for my reference should I ask my uni tutor or an old school teacher? I feel as though the uni tutor would not give me a good reference as we only see him twice a month and a few times hes had to cancel. He doesn't really know much about me personally and the grades I got for January exams were bad, which is what I guess he would go off of. On the other hand I could ask an old school teacher who I got on really well with who taught me all the way through school and sixth form, and I believe he would provide a good reference. The only downside I think is that unis may want a reference from my tutor because he is more recent. Is it worth asking my tutor even though it may be bad?

Is the transfer course related or completely different from your current one. If you were moving to something similar, then they may want someone who knows your current work as well as current transcript.

If its unrelated and you are going off just your A levels then use your teacher if they are willing.
I believe that people normally use a uni tutor in your situation since they are more recent - even if they don't really know you they won't give a "bad" reference, just a bland one.

Having said that, my son was in your position and he chose to ask an old teacher. This was perfectly acceptable as he got 5 offers from good unis.

Edited to say: he moved to an unrelated course.
It is a related course, but the only thing my tutor will go off is my Jan exams which were quite bad. That's why I was thinking he would not give a good reference. How important would it be to other unis that the reference is from a uni tutor instead of my a level teacher?

Original post by 999tigger
Is the transfer course related or completely different from your current one. If you were moving to something similar, then they may want someone who knows your current work as well as current transcript.

If its unrelated and you are going off just your A levels then use your teacher if they are willing.

Original post by harrysbar
I believe that people normally use a uni tutor in your situation since they are more recent - even if they don't really know you they won't give a "bad" reference, just a bland one.

Having said that, my son was in your position and he chose to ask an old teacher. This was perfectly acceptable as he got 5 offers from good unis.

Edited to say: he moved to an unrelated course.
It is a related course, but the only thing my tutor will go off is my Jan exams which were quite bad. That's why I was thinking he would not give a good reference. How important would it be to other unis that the reference is from a uni tutor instead of my a level teacher?

I can't speak for @999tigger but my opinion is that they won't mind since I know that my son asked his old teacher and none of his 5 unis had a problem with that. The main thing they will go on when deciding whether or not to offer you a place is likely to be your A level grades.

Your situation is slightly different since you say the course is related, so it would be worth phoning Admissions at a couple of the unis that you are considering, and asking their opinion on it.
Original post by harrysbar
I can't speak for @999tigger but my opinion is that they won't mind since I know that my son asked his old teacher and none of his 5 unis had a problem with that. The main thing they will go on when deciding whether or not to offer you a place is likely to be your A level grades.

Your situation is slightly different since you say the course is related, so it would be worth phoning Admissions at a couple of the unis that you are considering, and asking their opinion on it.

I think I would just have a word with admissions to see if there was any preference. They could explain they hardly know their tutor. They also seem to be relying on A levels, which ofc the teacher knows better. If admissions don't have an issue then use the teacher.

If admissions do have an issue with it, then find the lecturer you have the most rapport with and ask them to supply the reference. They should be ok with the teacher, but its up to the individual uni and department they are applying to. If they talk to them, then they will know where they stand. That's how I would probably deal with it.
Unfortunately, I have not gotten to know any of lecturers well at all. We have so many students in my class that I doubt any of the lecturers would recognise me. I am going to speak to the uni admissions teams when they are open tomorrow, in the meantime would it be wise asking my uni tutor for a reference even if I may not use it? Or could I ask him for his opinion on whether he feels comfortable enough to provide me with a reference that he feels would be accurate since he doesn't know me well.
Original post by 999tigger
I think I would just have a word with admissions to see if there was any preference. They could explain they hardly know their tutor. They also seem to be relying on A levels, which ofc the teacher knows better. If admissions don't have an issue then use the teacher.

If admissions do have an issue with it, then find the lecturer you have the most rapport with and ask them to supply the reference. They should be ok with the teacher, but its up to the individual uni and department they are applying to. If they talk to them, then they will know where they stand. That's how I would probably deal with it.
Are you applying for uni in the same way anyone normally applies for uni first time. Or is this some sort of actual transfer that involves your current uni?

If it is a completely new application DEFINITELY use your old school teacher. I did this and I am starting medicine in September
It is a new application applying to first year at a different university. So it isn't a transfer. I know you have to state that you studied at your current university for 1 year but would I have to put my January exam results at this uni in my UCAS application? Did you put your in?

EDIT: The reason I'm asking this is because my old teacher wouldn't be able to talk on my bad January results, whereas a reference from my tutor may be better if they could predict I will improve in the June exams. But the risk is the reference could not be very good as they don't know me well
Original post by radiatorman
Are you applying for uni in the same way anyone normally applies for uni first time. Or is this some sort of actual transfer that involves your current uni?

If it is a completely new application DEFINITELY use your old school teacher. I did this and I am starting medicine in September
(edited 5 years ago)
It is a new application applying to first year at a different university. So it isn't a transfer. I know you have to state that you studied at your current university for 1 year but would I have to put my January exam results at this uni in my UCAS application? Did you put your in?

You have to declare all educators and qualifications. If your exams were for a complete university module then that’s undergrad credit and therefore a qualification that should be declared. If you leave it off many universities will ask for a transcript of marks after you apply (especially as your A level grades are below the standard offer for the new course).

Speak to your tutor about them providing a reference and see what they say. It’s likely to be quicker than going back to your old school (your sixth form teachers will be busy with exam prep) and again it’s something that might be requested anyway if you apply with a school reference so you are saving yourself any hold ups later on.
What course are you applying for?
And do you meet the a level requirements?
The exams I had done OK on (55-60%) were completed along with coursework to make full units. However there is one that I failed (25%) which was only 20% of my module, the rest of the module is to be taken in June.

If I were to show them my exam results of the full modules but leave out the one I failed would they count that as withholding information and reject me?

Original post by PQ
You have to declare all educators and qualifications. If your exams were for a complete university module then that’s undergrad credit and therefore a qualification that should be declared. If you leave it off many universities will ask for a transcript of marks after you apply (especially as your A level grades are below the standard offer for the new course).

Speak to your tutor about them providing a reference and see what they say. It’s likely to be quicker than going back to your old school (your sixth form teachers will be busy with exam prep) and again it’s something that might be requested anyway if you apply with a school reference so you are saving yourself any hold ups later on.
The exams I had done OK on (55-60%) were completed along with coursework to make full units. However there is one that I failed (25%) which was only 20% of my module, the rest of the module is to be taken in June.

If I were to show them my exam results of the full modules but leave out the one I failed would they count that as withholding information and reject me?

You don’t list individual exam marks. You list your modules and their marks (if complete) or pending (if incomplete). Your transcript would normally only show module marks not the marks for components within each module.
So the exam I got 25% in will not show up since the module has not yet been completed, instead it will show up as pending? If I contact the unis and they say they do not care whether a reference if from a tutor or a level teacher, then would you still recommend getting my reference from my uni tutor? Even though the a level teacher may provide a better one since we had quite a good relationship (This A level teacher has been my teacher throughout all my years at secondary and sixth form, but has only taught me in physics and may not be able to comment on my other two subjects. He also is just a regular teacher and not the head of any department or anything)
Original post by PQ
You don’t list individual exam marks. You list your modules and their marks (if complete) or pending (if incomplete). Your transcript would normally only show module marks not the marks for components within each module.
So the exam I got 25% in will not show up since the module has not yet been completed, instead it will show up as pending? If I contact the unis and they say they do not care whether a reference if from a tutor or a level teacher, then would you still recommend getting my reference from my uni tutor? Even though the a level teacher may provide a better one since we had quite a good relationship (This A level teacher has been my teacher throughout all my years at secondary and sixth form, but has only taught me in physics and may not be able to comment on my other two subjects. He also is just a regular teacher and not the head of any department or anything)

Talk to your tutor and the universities you want to apply to tomorrow and then make a decision. I think you’re underestimating the ability of your tutor to provide a good reference
Well just met with my tutor and he has told me he won't write my reference as he feels he hasn't got to know me well enough in these 6months at uni...
Original post by PQ
Talk to your tutor and the universities you want to apply to tomorrow and then make a decision. I think you’re underestimating the ability of your tutor to provide a good reference
Well just met with my tutor and he has told me he won't write my reference as he feels he hasn't got to know me well enough in these 6months at uni...

And there's your answer then.

At least your question is answered - next step is to ask your old school teacher (it doesn't matter if they're just a regular teacher, my son used his old form tutor)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending