The Student Room Group

How to explain to my family that I don't have an eating disorder.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
"Emergency mode" or "starvation mode" really isn't a thing, you know. Or not in the way people explain it, at least. Think about it. If it was, everyone with anorexia, or children in Africa, would be fat. Your body is a machine. Metabolism may work more efficiently if calorie intake is healthy, however it can not and does not hold onto fat if it's not getting enough nutrition - that's like saying a car holds onto fuel if it's nearly empty. It just doesn't work like that. Fat loss may be a little more efficient if the body is getting a healthy calorie intake, but tbh the difference really is negligible at best. Read up on it, proper, scientific stuff, and see what you think. It's a huge myth, trust me.

It is often a stage that comes before extreme weight loss. People that eat too little are tend to store more fat then people who eat 'normally'. The store fat and look more fat to themselves therefore start eating even less, and here they enter the ED loop.

I've been considered anorexic by others all my life because I'm underweight.... almost every place I go people are lecturing me about these things. I've studied it a bit too.... I am extremely underweight but still have a bit of stomach fat... it's like the only place I store fat (which is pretty uncommon for females).

I know it is not the best help I could give, but I feel it is better than claiming that one have an ED only due to a certain, pretty logical mindset.
"Emergency mode" or "starvation mode" really isn't a thing, you know. Or not in the way people explain it, at least. Think about it. If it was, everyone with anorexia, or children in Africa, would be fat. Your body is a machine. Metabolism may work more efficiently if calorie intake is healthy, however it can not and does not hold onto fat if it's not getting enough nutrition - that's like saying a car holds onto fuel if it's nearly empty. It just doesn't work like that. Fat loss may be a little more efficient if the body is getting a healthy calorie intake, but tbh the difference really is negligible at best. Read up on it, proper, scientific stuff, and see what you think. It's a huge myth, trust me.

People who are starving (including anorexics and children in Africa) are at increased risk of getting fatty liver disease - so although they are thin on the outside, their lipid metabolism is abnormal and unhealthy. Furthermore, studies looking at changes in body fat composition in anorexics after weight restoration have shown that they get greater deposition in the trunk/abdomen rather than the peripheries (i.e. unhealthy fat) in the short term. So no, "starvation mode" is not a myth and I would urge you to do some reading yourself.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kathy89
In that case not eating would not only not help but even may cause even more fat storage in the places you don't want because your body is not getting enough fat and sugar and enters an 'emergency' mode when it stores as much fat as possible to use it later when you basically starving yourself.

The best this for you is sport activity and gaining muscle weight instead of fat weight. Speak to your parents about joining a group or a gym with a professional trainer, in addition talk with a naturopath or a dietitian about a better diet for you, it should help more.

Makes more sense why my lower abdomen is getting more fat in it and other places just look skinny.
@TheRealSquiddy You seem to know alot about exercise so what kind of work out should I do to tone my body? I can't find any easy work out to do. All the ones I've seen so far are too hard for me there is literally nothing I can do/maintain even for a few seconds without my muscles shaking. It's this supposed to happen with beginners?
Sorry, but you weigh 7st. That is very low, unless you are about 4ft tall. I think you need to listen to your parents and your GP and understand that you might, actually, have a problem. Nobody who weighs 7st should be actively trying to lose weight. I think I was that weight before I left primary school. Sorry but you have to be honest and truthful with yourself. Unless you are 5'2" or smaller, you are classed as underweight, and should actually be trying to gain rather than lose.

5'2'' isn't that far from 5'4'' tbh I'm probably not as 'severely underweight' as everyone is making me feel bad about.
Original post by Kathy89
It is often a stage that comes before extreme weight loss. People that eat too little are tend to store more fat then people who eat 'normally'. The store fat and look more fat to themselves therefore start eating even less, and here they enter the ED loop.

I've been considered anorexic by others all my life because I'm underweight.... almost every place I go people are lecturing me about these things. I've studied it a bit too.... I am extremely underweight but still have a bit of stomach fat... it's like the only place I store fat (which is pretty uncommon for females).

I know it is not the best help I could give, but I feel it is better than claiming that one have an ED only due to a certain, pretty logical mindset.

Stomach fat is uncommon in females? I've always had stomach fat :frown:

How underweight are you? Are you trying to gain or lose more weight?
Original post by Anonymous
5'2'' isn't that far from 5'4'' tbh I'm probably not as 'severely underweight' as everyone is making me feel bad about.

Your BMI is 16.5 - this is low and you are at risk of getting osteoporosis and other health problems. Are you having periods?
Stomach fat is uncommon in females? I've always had stomach fat :frown:

How underweight are you? Are you trying to gain or lose more weight?
females usually store fat in their breasts, butt,legs and arms, less common in their stomach.

I'm 164cm and weigh 43kg now. I'm trying to gain weight.
Original post by Kathy89
females usually store fat in their breasts, butt,legs and arms, less common in their stomach.

I'm 164cm and weigh 43kg now. I'm trying to gain weight.

That doesn't seem to be the case for me..
You weigh lower than me! How is that possible if you're trying to gain weight?
Original post by black tea
Your BMI is 16.5 - this is low and you are at risk of getting osteoporosis and other health problems. Are you having periods?

I don't feel any problems occurring in my body
Yes
That doesn't seem to be the case for me..
You weigh lower than me! How is that possible if you're trying to gain weight?

my lowest was 39.
My mom had the same issue until she got pregnant at 30.
Original post by Kathy89
my lowest was 39.

You gals must have a pretty fast metabolism or something...
OP, I get how you're feeling at the moment from my own experiences. At the moment, I can imagine that you see this as just losing a little bit of weight, that it's fine, that there's no need to be concerned, and that you don't have anorexia. However, I suspect that may not be the case. If I may, I'd like to share my own story with you, especially since my lowest weight was similar to yours as is my height. I too was dieting for ages and lost sight of what was healthy. I was determined to lose weight, cutting my calories, exercising, abusing laxatives - you name it, I tried it to lose weight. And lose weight I did. I was in denial for ages about my anorexia and I ignored it, until one day I was triggered to eat by people interfering. I then began binging, that turned into bulimia earlier this year which I've now got over, but I'm starting to revert back to anorexic tendencies together with orthorexic tendencies this time as well. There is a point to this story though, well two. First of all, you should begin to come to terms with the fact that your current weight loss is not healthy. That cannot come solely from others telling you this, but you need to recognise it yourself. Until you do, there is little point seeking recovery via a health professional. I'm not saying you should continue with your anorexic behaviour, but you need to seek recovery in your own time and without others telling you. Secondly, when you're ready to make that step, make sure you tell your GP. I tried my own attempt at recovery without help and look where it's got me - my eating disorder is out of control to an extent and I really don't care. I wish I had sought professional help, but now I don't want to until I've lost the weight I gained from binging. Don't be like me, get that help when you're ready and live your life. I'm always happy to answer any questions you have and support you on here: just quote me.
I'm 5'5 and fluctaute between 38-41kg. I have numerous health problems and I have been this weight for 5 years despite eating 1600 calories + everyday. that is the difference. I may weigh less than you but I have always been this way. Losing 5 kilograms (which i must add is 10% of your body weight) is not natural nor healthy.

Eating 800-1000 cal is not enough for anyone. You cannot possibly eat that much without restricting. Although you may think you are just eating less and that's why you're losing weight; its simply not the case. Your body will start craving more food and I bet it already does but you're ignoring your body.

Please listen to your body. Disordered eating; it doesn't need a name is awful and I know people who have died from it.

Stay strong and please try to increase your intake. xxxxx
girl omg I'm currently 39 and i literally cannot gain. It's so annoying because literally everyone comments on how skinny I am my entire life and I've been bullied so much :frown:
Original post by Kathy89
my lowest was 39.
girl omg I'm currently 39 and i literally cannot gain. It's so annoying because literally everyone comments on how skinny I am my entire life and I've been bullied so much :frown:
Me too. but I am gaining slowly but surely.
what are you doing to gain? I've tried to eat more nut butters and incorporated more protein bars. I don't work out but I've had a growth spurt as well so I look even lankier
Original post by Kathy89
Me too. but I am gaining slowly but surely.
what are you doing to gain? I've tried to eat more nut butters and incorporated more protein bars. I don't work out but I've had a growth spurt as well so I look even lankier

Workout and proper nutrition.
Original post by black tea
People who are starving (including anorexics and children in Africa) are at increased risk of getting fatty liver disease - so although they are thin on the outside, their lipid metabolism is abnormal and unhealthy. Furthermore, studies looking at changes in body fat composition in anorexics after weight restoration have shown that they get greater deposition in the trunk/abdomen rather than the peripheries (i.e. unhealthy fat) in the short term. So no, "starvation mode" is not a myth and I would urge you to do some reading yourself.

That's not exactly how she worded it though, is it.

Quick Reply

Latest