The Student Room Group

Too late to change university?

I've accepted an unconditional offer to study psychology at Sussex this September but I'm starting to worry that I've made the wrong choice.

It's so far away from the rest of my family and I've heard more and more bad reviews that are making me rethink my choice!

If I decided I wanted to go somewhere else how would I do it? Would I have to go through clearing instead?

Thank you!
Original post by megan.rosea
I've accepted an unconditional offer to study psychology at Sussex this September but I'm starting to worry that I've made the wrong choice.

It's so far away from the rest of my family and I've heard more and more bad reviews that are making me rethink my choice!

If I decided I wanted to go somewhere else how would I do it? Would I have to go through clearing instead?

Thank you!

Why did you get an unconditional, do you already have your exam results? I always thought Sussex was pretty decent for Psychology but every uni has people that don't like it for some reason or another. I wouldn't listen to a few bad reviews really, since there will be lots of other people who love Sussex. However, if the issue is more that you regret choosing a uni so far away from home, it may still be possible to change it. You would need to decline all your current offers and then you would be free to apply to new ones via UCAS Extra and then Clearing. However, I wouldn't do anything too hasty. Have a look to see which unis still have Psychology vacancies, and see if any of them are on a par with Sussex reputation wise, but closer to home. If there are any that appeal to you a lot more, you could phone their Admissions to have a chat about the possibility of applying there. But as I say, don't do anything hasty that you could regret as Sussex is a very good uni, and you would probably soon get used to the idea that you are not close to home.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I also have an offer to study Psychology at Sussex this September, and it's 4 hours away from home for me, so I understand how you feel. I would ignore the bad reviews, because there are so many good ones as well, and remember why you chose the university in the first place. So if you do end up going to Sussex, I'll be here if you need a friend :smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
Why did you get an unconditional, do you already have your exam results? I always thought Sussex was pretty decent for Psychology but every uni has people that don't like it for some reason or another. I wouldn't listen to a few bad reviews really, since there will be lots of other people who love Sussex. However, if the issue is more that you regret choosing a uni so far away from home, it may still be possible to change it. You would need to decline all your current offers and then you would be free to apply to new ones via UCAS Extra and then Clearing. However, I wouldn't do anything too hasty. Have a look to see which unis still have Psychology vacancies, and see if any of them are on a par with Sussex reputation wise, but closer to home. If there are any that appeal to you a lot more, you could phone their Admissions to have a chat about the possibility of applying there. But as I say, don't do anything hasty that you could regret as Sussex is a very good uni, and you would probably soon get used to the idea that you are not close to home.

Yes, I did my exams 2 years ago so I've already got my results. Thanks for the info- I'm going to make sure I do some research before making any rushed decisions and try to focus on the positives a bit more!

Original post by lydia-st
I also have an offer to study Psychology at Sussex this September, and it's 4 hours away from home for me, so I understand how you feel. I would ignore the bad reviews, because there are so many good ones as well, and remember why you chose the university in the first place. So if you do end up going to Sussex, I'll be here if you need a friend :smile:.

Thank you :smile: it's good to know I'm not the only one worried about moving away! I think I've been panicking about that more than anything but people keep telling me loads of people are in the same boat.
Reply 4
Original post by megan.rosea

Thank you!

Hi, Megan. If you're certain that you don't want to study psychology at Sussex, then please please please read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018120&p=84147178#post84147178 for guidance on what to do. You can now self-release into clearing with an unconditional offer but this is something you shouldn't take lightly. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending