The Student Room Group

Predicted grades and applications

Currently in year 12 and moving into year 13. Completed my internal examinations and managed to get an A in psychology, a B in biology and a C in chemistry. I'm looking to apply for optometry if possible, and have been looking at universities such as Bradford, Aston, Cardiff etc. I have a feeling that my predicted grades will again be ABC or is there any chance of ABB? Will a university even consider giving me an offer with grades ABC?

Appreciate any sort of input, cheers
Hey! Your school will usually up the predicted grades a little, I know at the end of year 12 my head of sixthform said if we told him what predicted grades we needed, he'd see what we could do (so if our grades should be ABC but we needed an ABB he'd make it an ABB because you are likely to improve in the next year!) wouldn't be unrealisric ofc (wont predict AAA if you got CCC) but yeah your school who do the predictions will probably up it to an ABB if you ask
Reply 2
oh what if you got AAD can you still ask the head of sixth form to predict you A* A* A?
Original post by Oscarwetnwilde
Hey! Your school will usually up the predicted grades a little, I know at the end of year 12 my head of sixthform said if we told him what predicted grades we needed, he'd see what we could do (so if our grades should be ABC but we needed an ABB he'd make it an ABB because you are likely to improve in the next year!) wouldn't be unrealisric ofc (wont predict AAA if you got CCC) but yeah your school who do the predictions will probably up it to an ABB if you ask
Reply 3
Cheers for that, I was also wondering whether they take into consideration yearly performance. I'll be honest, put my hands up and say I've been getting D's, E's with the odd C in tests. I've heard my school tend to do this.

In the unfortunate case of being predicted ABC, what are my chances of receiving offers? Are there any students who have been through a similar situation with a similar course?

Cheers once again
I can't tell if this was sarcastic or not... but No, imagine they'd predict AAB at most
Original post by HamzaD
oh what if you got AAD can you still ask the head of sixth form to predict you A* A* A?
Reply 5
wait what? no this is serious, I mean if I'm applying for English and my English + History teachers have given me predicted grades of A*s but my maths teachers is refusing to predict me an A. what should I do?
I can't tell if this was sarcastic or not... but No, imagine they'd predict AAB at most
Your school will probably take your yearly perfomance into consideration, but if you got ABC in mocks or something and you make it clear you want to improve and want to get the ABB im sure they would predict it for you!

Depends what uni, some unis only look at UCAS points, and ABC would be a prediction of 120 ucas points. However, school/college do usually predict a little bit higher than what your mocks say as like i said you will probably improve over the year so you shouldnt need to worry!
Original post by Has._i
Cheers for that, I was also wondering whether they take into consideration yearly performance. I'll be honest, put my hands up and say I've been getting D's, E's with the odd C in tests. I've heard my school tend to do this.

In the unfortunate case of being predicted ABC, what are my chances of receiving offers? Are there any students who have been through a similar situation with a similar course?

Cheers once again
Reply 7
Thanks for the reassurance
Depends how it works at your school/college. In year 12, my head of house said how he basically has final say on predicted grades, in which case in that situation I would talk to him. So if you have someone like a head of sixth form to talk to, I would recommend that. What is your maths teacher predicting for you?
Original post by HamzaD
wait what? no this is serious, I mean if I'm applying for English and my English + History teachers have given me predicted grades of A*s but my maths teachers is refusing to predict me an A. what should I do?
Sorry i misread your post at first, i assume you mean he is predicting you a D. Hopefuly someone will be able to bump that up to a C or D if you show youre trying to improve and have the ability to achieve a B at the end of it all
Original post by HamzaD
Good luck! If you do get predicted ABC and it doesnt get you anywhere, look into the clearing process, as this will be more based on your actual grades i believe? if not, clearing is a good way to go either way if you dont get any offers from unis!
Original post by Has._i
Thanks for the reassurance
Reply 11
Will definitely look into it, thanks!
Reply 12
no he hasn't predicted me a D yet, but I think a C. I really want to negotiate with him so I am allowed to do another mock paper for maths, which will hopefully give him proof I'm capable of getting a good grade. I'm applying to Cambridge which is why I need that A to meet the predicted grades requirement.
Sorry i misread your post at first, i assume you mean he is predicting you a D. Hopefuly someone will be able to bump that up to a C or D if you show youre trying to improve and have the ability to achieve a B at the end of it all
Reply 13
I know someone who applied to an AAB course with ABB predicted and got an offer. A fairly competitive course too - it's not in clearing.
Reply 14
Original post by Sinnoh
I know someone who applied to an AAB course with ABB predicted and got an offer. A fairly competitive course too - it's not in clearing.

which university?
Reply 15
Original post by leahnj
which university?

York, for Chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending