The Student Room Group

Changing firm choice UCAS

I have been confirmed for my firm choice on UCAS and now I feel like I have made a mistake and would like to go with my insurance choice instead. I have read online i still have time to change up until 29th July and that is i just ring up my insurance choice and explain the situation they may still be able to help... or will i have to go with my firm now which I really just don’t want to go that uni at all anymore due to certain circumstances that have come up. HELLLLPPPPPP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cmcloughlin2000
I have been confirmed for my firm choice on UCAS and now I feel like I have made a mistake and would like to go with my insurance choice instead. I have read online i still have time to change up until 29th July and that is i just ring up my insurance choice and explain the situation they may still be able to help... or will i have to go with my firm now which I really just don’t want to go that uni at all anymore due to certain circumstances that have come up. HELLLLPPPPPP!

you have to ring up your firm and insurance to tell them you've changed your mind explaining exactly what you want to do and let ucas know too.
Reply 2
Ok thank you, I’m going to call my insurance on Monday as admissions was closed for the weekend. If my insurance allow me to change, will I have to call UCAS then or will the uni?
Original post by claireestelle
you have to ring up your firm and insurance to tell them you've changed your mind explaining exactly what you want to do and let ucas know too.
Reply 3
Ok thank you, I’m going to call my insurance on Monday as admissions was closed for the weekend. If my insurance allow me to change, will I have to call UCAS then or will the uni?

You need to phone your current firm and insurance to check if they're both happy with the change before contacting UCAS who will sort the change on UCAS Track. :smile:

Is your firm choice unconditional on Track?
I know you're planning to sort this on Monday, so should have plenty of time, but FYI the deadline for reply swaps is 23rd July, not 29th- see here:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
If your firm choice is unconditional then you might not be able to do a reply swap as your insurance will no longer be valid. You might need to use “decline my place” and apply to your insurance choice via clearing if they’re still happy to honour your offer.
Unlikely that you can do a straight swap. Instead, you should be able to upgrade your Insurance to Firm, but you will lose the facility to have an Insurance.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Unlikely that you can do a straight swap. Instead, you should be able to upgrade your Insurance to Firm, but you will lose the facility to have an Insurance.

If the firm is still conditional then a straight swap is simple and easy (3 phone calls).

If the firm is unconditional then OP will need to use clearing.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Is your firm choice unconditional on Track?

Only recently has it been made unconditional as I met the requirements but I don’t want to I go to the that uni at all anymore. I have made the requirements for my insurance as well.... so is it too late now 😰 would they have given my place away now?
Only recently has it been made unconditional as I met the requirements but I don’t want to I go to the that uni at all anymore. I have made the requirements for my insurance as well.... so is it too late now 😰 would they have given my place away now?

It will almost certainly be fine. Ring your insurance on Monday and ask if they will take you as firm choice via clearing.

Get them to confirm any agreement in writing before you decline your firm choice on Track.
As in by email? I’m so scared now like I really just don’t want to go with my firm anymore. Like my firm was only made unconditional when my exam results went through to them which was after the late deadline for UCAS so I’m hoping they will be happy to take me but the course in that uni isn’t up on clearing so is it too late? I need some hope ! As in by writing do u mean by email because if I ring Monday a letter most likely won’t come to me til after 23rd July as I live in Ireland not the U.K......
Original post by PQ
It will almost certainly be fine. Ring your insurance on Monday and ask if they will take you as firm choice via clearing.

Get them to confirm any agreement in writing before you decline your firm choice on Track.
As in by email? I’m so scared now like I really just don’t want to go with my firm anymore. Like my firm was only made unconditional when my exam results went through to them which was after the late deadline for UCAS so I’m hoping they will be happy to take me but the course in that uni isn’t up on clearing so is it too late? I need some hope ! As in by writing do u mean by email because if I ring Monday a letter most likely won’t come to me til after 23rd July as I live in Ireland not the U.K......

Yep by email

Don’t worry. If you explain the situation they’ll almost always be happy to honour your offer. Just because the course isn’t advertised in clearing doesn’t mean that they can’t arrange for you to swap back to them via clearing. Universities have the option to open courses to applications without advertising them as open on the course search.
Ok, thank you so much for your help and reassurance. Hopefully they will be happy to honour my offer again. You have eased my mind so much that there may be hope.😄
Original post by PQ
Yep by email

Don’t worry. If you explain the situation they’ll almost always be happy to honour your offer. Just because the course isn’t advertised in clearing doesn’t mean that they can’t arrange for you to swap back to them via clearing. Universities have the option to open courses to applications without advertising them as open on the course search.
Not the case, in our household recently.
Original post by PQ
If the firm is still conditional then a straight swap is simple and easy (3 phone calls).

If the firm is unconditional then OP will need to use clearing.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Not the case, in our household recently.

Then you were misinformed by someone at one of the universities. A straight swap of firm and insurance when both offers are conditional is easy and common. See https://www.ucas.com/file/118071/download?token=RM_z67C6 section 4.8

Our office processed 3 of these last week alone and larger universities will be dealing with dozens.
Original post by PQ
Then you were misinformed by someone at one of the universities. A straight swap of firm and insurance when both offers are conditional is easy and common. See https://www.ucas.com/file/118071/download?token=RM_z67C6 section 4.8

Our office processed 3 of these last week alone and larger universities will be dealing with dozens.

Do you know if the 23rd being the end date to make any changes is relevant with clearing? Just for me to get the place in my insurance they said they would offer it to me through clearing
Do you know if the 23rd being the end date to make any changes is relevant with clearing? Just for me to get the place in my insurance they said they would offer it to me through clearing

Is your firm choice unconditional?
Yes it was made uncomfortable a few weeks ago but I rang up my insurance offer and they said they still have my place and are happy to take me. UCAS said I would need to get it offered through clearing. Would this need to be done before tomorrow (23rd)
Original post by PQ
Is your firm choice unconditional?
*unconditional

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending