The Student Room Group

HMRC told me to do an unemployed tax claim in september when im actually employed

So long story short. I worked at a place for two weeks then left. I was on emergency tax code. Half my salary went into tax. to get the tax back I need to ask for details of my current employer. Turns out im not even registered on HMRC as an employer/ idont receive payslips either. They told me to write a letter in saying this and tell them that my current employer doesn't have details etc. I called in today to ask questions and the woman said In September I can just do an unemployed tax claim but isn't that lying and illegal as I am technically employed its just not registered under HMRC. I don't want to get in trouble for lying etc.
was she encouraging me to do something illegal or what?
Original post by curious312
So long story short. I worked at a place for two weeks then left. I was on emergency tax code. Half my salary went into tax. to get the tax back I need to ask for details of my current employer. Turns out im not even registered on HMRC as an employer/ idont receive payslips either. They told me to write a letter in saying this and tell them that my current employer doesn't have details etc. I called in today to ask questions and the woman said In September I can just do an unemployed tax claim but isn't that lying and illegal as I am technically employed its just not registered under HMRC. I don't want to get in trouble for lying etc.
was she encouraging me to do something illegal or what?

your current work is paying you cash in hand then?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
your current work is paying you cash in hand then?

nope I receive it directly into my bank account
nope I receive it directly into my bank account

but no payslip at all to show that they're paying tax on that? i don't think hmrc were encouraging you to do something illegal but i do think your employer could be by not giving you a payslip
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
but no payslip at all to show that they're paying tax on that? i don't think hmrc were encouraging you to do something illegal but i do think your employer could be by not giving you a payslip

i dont pay any tax for the job as im a student. So its fine if i do unemployed tax claim?
i dont pay any tax for the job as im a student. So its fine if i do unemployed tax claim?

you should possibly still be paying National insurance and your employer too.
Reply 6
Have you received a P800 form that says you've overpaid tax? Because that would be the usual approach, I think - and then you can just get it sent straight to a bank account.

Being a student doesn't have any implications on your tax. The only reason you won't pay income tax (and may well still pay employee's NI contributions) is that you don't earn enough to meet the threshold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending