The Student Room Group

How to introduce yourself to your flatmates

I move to my university halls tomorrow and I've had no luck in finding my flatmates on social media so I'm going to be meeting them for the first time tomorrow.

How do I introduce myself to them when I move in as I'm proper nervous
Original post by Anonymous
I move to my university halls tomorrow and I've had no luck in finding my flatmates on social media so I'm going to be meeting them for the first time tomorrow.

Hey!

It's completely normal to feel nervous, but it's also pretty likely that they feel the exact same! Just say hey, tell them your name and what you are studying!

Since you will be living together for the year its good to get any awkwardness out the way early, maybe propose spending some time together one evening to get to know each other!

Try not to worry and good luck!!

Mia:smile:

Get used to asking and being asked 'what's your name where are you from and what are you studying'? over and over for the next 6 weeks :lol:

It is going to be okay - most people are going to be feeling nervous and they'll be happy you've said hello! :smile:
Smile, say hi, your name, what course ur doing, where your from. Generally just show interest in people (even if you don’t care). Everyone is nervous and on the same boat and sometimes no-one is willing to take that first step and speak.
Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey!

It's completely normal to feel nervous, but it's also pretty likely that they feel the exact same! Just say hey, tell them your name and what you are studying!

Since you will be living together for the year its good to get any awkwardness out the way early, maybe propose spending some time together one evening to get to know each other!

Try not to worry and good luck!!

Mia:smile:

Thank you! X
Reply 5
Original post by DJWatson
Smile, say hi, your name, what course ur doing, where your from. Generally just show interest in people (even if you don’t care). Everyone is nervous and on the same boat and sometimes no-one is willing to take that first step and speak.

Will do!
Just say hi. No one will dislike you if you say hi, they might actually be waiting for someone to talk to them. Talk about what you're studying, where they're from and if you're studying at the same campus ask if they want to an event or just look around. Trust me, everyone is nervous but it's normal if you don't find people you click with straight away!
Thank you! X

No problem at all,

Let us know if there is anything else we can offer advice with. :shakehand:
Reply 8

Offer them a sip of lean
Original post by Lwajura
Offer them a sip of lean

lean is for poor people i only offer the best of the best haribo starmix
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
No problem at all,

Let us know if there is anything else we can offer advice with. :shakehand:

None of my flatmates aren't really into drinking, and I am.

Its freshers week and they would rather stay in and id rather go out but I've got no one to go with.

It just feels like I'm missing out on some fun
Original post by Lwajura
Offer them a sip of lean

Lean and bop
None of my flatmates aren't really into drinking, and I am.

Its freshers week and they would rather stay in and id rather go out but I've got no one to go with.

It just feels like I'm missing out on some fun

Hi again

If you are wanting to go out then maybe you could meet some people in other flats in the building. Alternatively, you can join a society during freshers fair to make more friends.

I would add that university is a long time so 'missing out' on freshers week isn't really that important in the long run as you will have plenty of opportunities to go out.

Hope this helps
Dom :h:
Well, I’d like to be greeted by someone with lots of chocolate biscuits 🍪 to share.
Original post by Welshvisitor
Well, I’d like to be greeted by someone with lots of chocolate biscuits 🍪 to share.

What if they have specific dietary requirements?

Won't it seem a bit strange giving food to them when you first meet?

Can I buy my flatmates a box of chocolates each?
Hey,

In all honesty - everyone feels the same way. You have nothing to worry about, especially when you come to realise they're all nervous and probably think of these same things. Let it happen organically and naturally, when you go into the kitchen, say hey, introduce yourself.

Really as simple as that!

Joshua :smile:
What if they have specific dietary requirements?

Won't it seem a bit strange giving food to them when you first meet?

Can I buy my flatmates a box of chocolates each?

Then they won’t accept but will likely appreciate the offer. If your already eating them it’s just a polite and though thing to do.
Buying them a box of chocolates is too much 🍫 and yes, odd.
Original post by Welshvisitor
Buying them a box of chocolates is too much 🍫 and yes, odd.

Ok I won't then, I'll do something more casual
Alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending