The Student Room Group

Changing course once started uni

So I’ve just started uni and I’m realising the course I chose isn’t for me. I’ve flagged this up with them and they’ve given me peoples contact details to sort it out. The only thing is I’ve got to do like skills tests and have an interview to get onto the new course. I’m scheduled for the interview in two weeks and of course I would’ve started lectures then. I’m just rlly scared about missing a lot tbh and getting told information that I don’t necessarily need to know. Just asking for any advice from people who have changed courses once they’ve started uni and if it was easy to adapt?

For me I’m changing from MChem to Bsc Chem with QTS for anyone wondering
Original post by cath_slater
So I’ve just started uni and I’m realising the course I chose isn’t for me. I’ve flagged this up with them and they’ve given me peoples contact details to sort it out. The only thing is I’ve got to do like skills tests and have an interview to get onto the new course. I’m scheduled for the interview in two weeks and of course I would’ve started lectures then. I’m just rlly scared about missing a lot tbh and getting told information that I don’t necessarily need to know. Just asking for any advice from people who have changed courses once they’ve started uni and if it was easy to adapt?

I can't really advise you on the specific question you're asking.

But those two degrees are quite different. With QTS means you'll be having to do placements in schools and perhaps some of your modules will be education-based? Which means they'll be theoretical and more of essays rather than reports of experiments and etc. So if you're comfortable with that then go ahead.

If you're 100% you want to be a teacher, then change course. If you're not, I wouldn't recommend it because future employers might get dubious over your degree title.
Reply 2
Not got any advice about the course, but I am currently doing a Primary Teaching course so had to do the QTS skills tests (I’m guessing these are what you need to do). The skills tests are very difficult and require a lot of revision leading up to them (as in months). But have a look on the website (search QTS skills tests) and try a practice paper on each and see how you get on. If the course really isn’t for you and you think the new course would make you happier, then go for it, just don’t underestimate the skills tests as I know people who have taken quite a few times to pass.
Original post by cath_slater

I assume it would be possible for you to switch to a BSc in Chemistry at the end of the first (or even second) year? Depending on the optional modules, it may be possible for you to take one or two Chemistry in Education (or similar) modules in years 2 and/or 3 which wouldn't be open to you on the MChem. A BSc in Chemistry followed by a PGCE or on-the-job QTS would give you the qualification you'd need as a teacher.

In fact, if you get a 1st in your BSc, you would qualify for a very substantial bursary (£20,000 in Wales; I'm not sure what it is in England) during your Secondary Chemistry PGCE year.

Any course which has QTS needs you to have an interview and skills tests in Literacy and Numeracy. If you 100% positive that you are going to switch to new programme, see if you can make time to attend the QTS specific lectures as soon as possible. I wouldn't miss Chemistry classes and pracs to do that, though, until the course change goes through.
Original post by Sun365
Not got any advice about the course, but I am currently doing a Primary Teaching course so had to do the QTS skills tests (I’m guessing these are what you need to do). The skills tests are very difficult and require a lot of revision leading up to them (as in months). But have a look on the website (search QTS skills tests) and try a practice paper on each and see how you get on. If the course really isn’t for you and you think the new course would make you happier, then go for it, just don’t underestimate the skills tests as I know people who have taken quite a few times to pass.

Hiya thank you for replying! Yeah I need to do them. I’ve done a couple of practice papers and found them okay (I did a level maths so I’m more used to numbers I guess). If you don’t mind can I just ask you about how you booked them? Ive had a look at availability and the centres are pretty far away from me so would need to do them both on the same day. Would I be able to say book one for 3 and then the other for 4? Dw if you don’t know, just wondering what other people did

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending