The Student Room Group

Vegans

I just realised that most vegans try to imitate meat based foods but obviously “veganise” it. Shouldn’t that be... impermissible in this man-made religion (or diet).

Scroll to see replies

it is very healthy to be a vegetarian, without or preferably *with* fish & eggs,

however with a vegan diet (mimicry or not) scientists have very recently noticed that some essential intestinal flora diversity are reduced by a vegan diet, the developing science of microbiome/microbiota analysis shows that much of your immune inflammation response as an organism is based inside your gut, and the more varied your intestinal flora - the better!

hence "veganism" as a fashion/life choice , should surely be tempered with an understanding of not just vitamin B12, but also the long term implications of actually reducing beneficial flora - I'm pretty sure that vegetarianism will increase healthy microbiome/microbiota, whilst it was a surprise to me that a vegan diet reduces the beneficial strands

......more research needed
Original post by LuigiMario
it is very healthy to be a vegetarian, without or preferably *with* fish & eggs,

however with a vegan diet (mimicry or not) scientists have very recently noticed that some essential intestinal flora diversity are reduced by a vegan diet, the developing science of microbiome/microbiota analysis shows that much of your immune inflammation response as an organism is based inside your gut, and the more varied your intestinal flora - the better!

hence "veganism" as a fashion/life choice , should surely be tempered with an understanding of not just vitamin B12, but also the long term implications of actually reducing beneficial flora - I'm pretty sure that vegetarianism will increase healthy microbiome/microbiota, whilst it was a surprise to me that a vegan diet reduces the beneficial strands

A vegetarian eating fish isn’t a vegetarian as fish are still animals
They're a pescatarian!
Original post by Anonymous
They're a pescatarian!

Yes, but not vegetarian
Exactly! If you eat eggs, you're not a vegan. If you eat fish, you're not a vegetarian and you should probably go and learn some basic biology.
Reply 6

Understood but adding eggs and fish will not give you (or loads of) vitamin A,B6,B12 etc.. because they don’t exist in a vegan diet
my brother raised all his children as strict vegan, that's almost a crime - as it was done before they could understand the implications - informed consent was not given - however , they are great kids - after many years of vit B12 (and a few others) supplements/injections.

I understand many vegan arguments, and I did buy The Smiths "Meat is Murder" album, but the microbiota reduction data above is very very new research, and worrying
Reply 8
After many comments, my question is still not answered lol!
I just realised that most vegans try to imitate meat based foods but obviously “veganise” it. Shouldn’t that be... impermissible in this man-made religion (or diet).

Not necessarily. Many vegans might actually like the taste of meat, but don’t eat it for ethical reasons. And so if you can get something that tastes like meat, but isn’t then it’s a win win.

Generally speaking it's related to ease imo - for instance, I'm veggie, but my partner is not, and being able to make a meal where we're both having the same thing just veggied for me is a lot easier and nicer than having to cook completely different meals! :tongue:

Sources or it never happened.

Your question didn't really make sense. Why should eating vegan meat substitutes be impermissible?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Sources or it never happened.

Source: sitting next to the UK representative (who was chair) at an EU immunology conference in Milan earlier in 2019. clarification: This was on the EasyJet flight back from Milan, as I wasn't at that conference. I just chatted to an amazing Professor of microbiology (at Nottingham University) and senior Unilever scientist, hence it is 'private communication' - but at least it isn't Wikipedia!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not necessarily. Many vegans might actually like the taste of meat, but don’t eat it for ethical reasons. And so if you can get something that tastes like meat, but isn’t then it’s a win win.

But what if you’ve been a vegan since young.
Vegans can’t eat meat products tho. I think vegans are great and have nothing against them but why put yourself in all that pain and eat something that isn’t even meat lool. Plus it has no nutritional value as the real meat in some cases.
Vegans can’t eat meat products tho. I think vegans are great and have nothing against them but why put yourself in all that pain and eat something that isn’t even meat lool. Plus it has no nutritional value as the real meat in some cases.

A meat imitation product isn't a meat product though. Well, as I already explained, they may eat the meat imitation product for its taste and texture, without feeling guilty that they're eating a real animal. It may not have the nutritional value of meat, but it'll still have plant-based nutritional value nonetheless.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Your question didn't really make sense. Why should eating vegan meat substitutes be impermissible?

That wasn’t the main question. I don’t why why it should be impermissible but like why crave the things that are meant to be “bad” for you or the world? I’m just curious, not hating. Applaud vegans for doing something to help the world lol.
I totally agree with your insights. I cannot understand why they tend to eat vegetable "burgers, sausages and steaks". It's a meat stuff. We don't make meat apples or carrots. What is vegetable is vegetable, what is meat is meat.

A lot of processed vegetarian meat substitutes such as Quorn have most of the protein and filling value of the meat equivalent without the downside of the calories, saturated fat intake, salt and additional fibre intake. This alone is a good enough reason for anybody to eat them; not just vegetarians and vegans. Most of my “meat” products are now Quorn equivalents but I do miss a good steak equivalent
Source: sitting next to the UK representative (who was chair) at an EU immunology conference in Milan earlier in 2019. clarification: This was on the EasyJet flight back from Milan, as I wasn't at that conference. I just chatted to an amazing Professor of microbiology (at Nottingham University) and senior Unilever scientist, hence it is 'private communication' - but at least it isn't Wikipedia!

Cool so it never happened. Thanks for clarifying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending