The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements for Uni

So this summer just gone, I sat my A-Levels and achieved BCC. I decided to take a gap year instead of going straight to university so I could get a job in the meantime and gather some money to go towards my studies so I could apply for uni this autumn.

I want to study a media course, however this one particular university I would like to go to, Cardiff Uni wants you to have grades equivalent to ABB to BBB. I don’t have those grades, but I was wondering if I should apply on UCAS for it anyway and see if they would offer me a place?

Now that I know my A-Level results I’m not sure if the decision process for me is any different now than if I was still sitting my A-Levels and only had predicted grades.

I have other universities in mind that I’d like to apply to as well but Cardiff is definitely one of the universities I want to go to most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Most 'A grade' Universities will not consider a grade gap like this - this is not a 'near miss', you are well below their entry requirements. You haven't bothered to resit your A levels, and its likely you will get a straight rejection.

The usual advice is to spread your 5 choices like this :
1 just above your grades (ie. one grade)
2 or 3 at your grades
2 or 2 just below your grades

So - you have a choice. Apply to other Unis, or resit your A levels.
Original post by nikki1706
So this summer just gone, I sat my A-Levels and achieved BCC. I decided to take a gap year instead of going straight to university so I could get a job in the meantime and gather some money to go towards my studies so I could apply for uni this autumn.

I want to study a media course, however this one particular university I would like to go to, Cardiff Uni wants you to have grades equivalent to ABB to BBB. I don’t have those grades, but I was wondering if I should apply on UCAS for it anyway and see if they would offer me a place?

Now that I know my A-Level results I’m not sure if the decision process for me is any different now than if I was still sitting my A-Levels and only had predicted grades.

I have other universities in mind that I’d like to apply to as well but Cardiff is definitely one of the universities I want to go to most.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It seems a bit unlikely but you have nothing to lose by emailing their Admissions to ask whether they would consider an applicant with achieved grades of BCC
Something else to consider is, people applying for a "range" of grades, usually haven't yet achieved them - universities realise sometimes applicants exceed their predicted grades, and may set them the standard offer (which is higher than their predicted grades) to see if they will achieve it. However, for post-qualification candidates, they will (normally, unless you are sitting some new qualifications or need to take STEP or something) get an unconditional offer on your achieved grades, or an immediate rejection.

In your case, you have already achieved those grades, so you have outright failed to meet the requirements (and there is no possibility you might exceed that). It's very likely you would be rejected from any university you don't meet the criteria for already. As above, to be considered for Cardiff I think the only option in this case is to resit your A-levels, or sit a new qualification (or qualifications - which may be A-levels in new subjects). In that case you would then be applying again for a conditional offer, which you may be more likely to be given.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending