The Student Room Group

Struggling to be considered a Home student despite living in the UK since Aug '14

I relocated to the UK from Italy (I'm Italian with Italian passport) with my family in August 12 when I was 12.
I'm currently studying at LSBU after graduating from an IB school in London. I applied for tuition fees only loan and despite having lived in the UK for 5 years I do not have enough evidence to prove my residency in the UK as the SFE are not happy with my school declaration of attendance with years and from and to dates. I also sent my GP registration letter.
As I was 12 when I moved to the Uk everything was in my parents names (bills, letters, bank accounts). My family never asked for benefits in my name as their income was too high.
Is it possible that I won't be considered a Home student despite having always lived in the UK for the past 5 years because at that time I did not have anything in my name, apart from school enrolment and GP registration? I did not have a Young Person account and started having it in 2017 when I was 15 (sent them statements).
Being Italian, we did not need to have a residence card or whatever, we did not need visa or other things in my name. They don't accept my parents bills, statement VAT return, HMRC letters even if I depended on them.
How can a 12 years old have something in their name?
If someone from the SFE can help me would be very appreciated. Online and over the phone, they just list the evidence they accept, which I just have partially and don't consider other things in my name. Thanks
Hi,

Did you move to the UK for the purposes of education?

You will need to send evidence to show you have lived in the UK for 5 years. Usually we can accept letters from your school if these are signed, on headed paper and confirm your dates of attendance. Is this what you sent us?

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi,

Did you move to the UK for the purposes of education?

You will need to send evidence to show you have lived in the UK for 5 years. Usually we can accept letters from your school if these are signed, on headed paper and confirm your dates of attendance. Is this what you sent us?

Thanks, Tégan

As I've never had letters from my school sent home during my studies as everything was through their online system called Managebac, last month I asked the school to send me home a letter in my name, on their headed paper and signed by the principal, confirming my attendance since August 2014, with years attended and my home address (two different ones as I moved house once) during those school years.
SFE said this is not enough and to send more evidence.
I also sent original GP registration letter (2014) and Young persons account printed by my branch but since 2017 as I did not have one before in my name and today they asked me more evidence.
Tomorrow I'm sending other statements from my current bank account, but opened in 2018 and NHS records access copies since 2014, showing appointments, UCC accesses, referrals, etc.
In the end I've nothing else proving my residency in my name as I was too young to have things in my name and being Italian, we did not need residency card or visas, so I cannot prove when we arrived besides what I provided before. My parents have everything in their name since 2014, but SFE said this is not being accepted as they need my name on it. Can a full birth certificate showing my parents names prove my link to them, so their bills can be considered as my proof as I was under 18?
I also applied with my family for the EU stalled status after 5 years of permanent residency, but waiting for it as the Home office is overloaded for too many requests.
Thanks
Original post by Pattyesandy
As I've never had letters from my school sent home during my studies as everything was through their online system called Managebac, last month I asked the school to send me home a letter in my name, on their headed paper and signed by the principal, confirming my attendance since August 2014, with years attended and my home address (two different ones as I moved house once) during those school years.
SFE said this is not enough and to send more evidence.
I also sent original GP registration letter (2014) and Young persons account printed by my branch but since 2017 as I did not have one before in my name and today they asked me more evidence.
Tomorrow I'm sending other statements from my current bank account, but opened in 2018 and NHS records access copies since 2014, showing appointments, UCC accesses, referrals, etc.
In the end I've nothing else proving my residency in my name as I was too young to have things in my name and being Italian, we did not need residency card or visas, so I cannot prove when we arrived besides what I provided before. My parents have everything in their name since 2014, but SFE said this is not being accepted as they need my name on it. Can a full birth certificate showing my parents names prove my link to them, so their bills can be considered as my proof as I was under 18?
I also applied with my family for the EU stalled status after 5 years of permanent residency, but waiting for it as the Home office is overloaded for too many requests.
Thanks

Hi there,

We would recommend that you send us a private message on either Facebook or Twitter and we can look further into this for you.

Alternatively you can give us a call on 0300 100 0607, our phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm and between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

We would recommend that you send us a private message on either Facebook or Twitter and we can look further into this for you.

Alternatively you can give us a call on 0300 100 0607, our phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm and between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks, Ashley.

I am in constant connection through Messenger since September, they keep saying they will look into the matter and to wait, then they send me the letter home asking for more evidence and that I have to stick to the proofs they accept (which for an under 18 person are not mandatory to have to be a UK resident). I'll try over the phone also, the problem is that they always say they need to look into it and will let me know in some days. I'll try again over the phone.
What I cannot understand is why they are asking for something which is not compulsory to have when you are under 18, like bank account and benefits. Moving here when I was 12 everything was in my parents name, I can prove I'm their child with a full birth certificate, the same procedure that is requested to have settled status if you're under 21. I cannot understand why SFE won't accept that. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending