The Student Room Group

A realistic journey:will I get into medicine and meet my dreams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
The road to medicine is a long one, never without a few hiccups. I can remember my son getting a b at as level for example.

Your a levels will never be as hard as now, as you get used to the transition

I hope so. Only 240 days until they are over and I can sleep!
Original post by lunariumxo
you can do this , good luck

Are you doing a levels too?
Reply 62
Original post by DGeorge13
Chemistry 1-22 and halfway through 23
Biology 1-14 and also 19
Maths 1-16, most of 17, 18,22,,24

For maths do you do edexcel? So which chapters did your class finish in Pure Maths, Stats and Mechanics?
damn your grades are amazing! tag me please :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by mpaprika

I've been seeing 'tag me' many places. What does it mean ?
Original post by Exdoz
For maths do you do edexcel? So which chapters did your class finish in Pure Maths, Stats and Mechanics?

Aqa - we use the cgp book but we don’t go in order

Done
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Exdoz

I think it means the people on the list get notifications when you post
Honest answer? Maybe not.
Original post by Exdoz

when you do @ ''person's username'' they get a notification each time you post :smile:
Original post by cheerIeader
Honest answer? Maybe not.

Fully aware of the stats hence the question your statement is what I personally think
Reply 71
when you do @ ''person's username'' they get a notification each time you post :smile:

That would take a long time to @ everyone who asks you. I guess they write your name on a 'document' so they can copy and past it each time?
The schedules:

I’m also in year 13 and need to make a revision schedule ASAP!! can I ask what resources you use in general and for practise questions for bio chem and maths.
Original post by annoymous_
I’m also in year 13 and need to make a revision schedule ASAP!! can I ask what resources you use in general and for practise questions for bio chem and maths.

You may not want to as I’m currently not doing great as alluded to but I do have some advice...

My schedule is on the first page of this thread.
Resources I use generally:
Biology: textbook, my summary notes, my summarised versions of my summaries
Chemistry: textbook, machemguy, chemrevise and Doc Brown also my college PowerPoints and schedules as well as lesson materials
Maths: tl maths videos (Jack Brown), exam solutions, college PowerPoints and also both the cgp book and old spec elmwood textbooks

Exam questions:
biology and chemistry: physics and maths tutor, maths made easy, the textbooks in the end of chapter bits
Maths: my teacher has this 35 page document split into all the content with exam qs by topic from all boards and exam qs are there as well as integral resources and Jack Brown videos by topic as well as all of the exam papers - MADAS IYGB papers are great although I’m not sure how they justify increasing the difficulty twofold between r and s or somewhere around there
Reply 74
You may not want to as I’m currently not doing great as alluded to but I do have some advice...

My schedule is on the first page of this thread.
Resources I use generally:
Biology: textbook, my summary notes, my summarised versions of my summaries
Chemistry: textbook, machemguy, chemrevise and Doc Brown also my college PowerPoints and schedules as well as lesson materials
Maths: tl maths videos (Jack Brown), exam solutions, college PowerPoints and also both the cgp book and old spec elmwood textbooks

Exam questions:
biology and chemistry: physics and maths tutor, maths made easy, the textbooks in the end of chapter bits
Maths: my teacher has this 35 page document split into all the content with exam qs by topic from all boards and exam qs are there as well as integral resources and Jack Brown videos by topic as well as all of the exam papers - MADAS IYGB papers are great although I’m not sure how they justify increasing the difficulty twofold between r and s or somewhere around there

For Bio, I saw another person use summary notes too. What is it? Do you literally just summarise what you learnt in class on sheets of paper, and then store it away? How do you make summary notes- I tend to write complex notes to the little minuet detail of everything in bio, then i work from that- so obviously I don't rely on summarisation. Do you think summarising is good? I am just always worried that I need to know every single small detail in Bio incase it comes up as a simple AO1 question in the exam. Hence, I tend to want to have a solid knowledge on everything. What do you think?
Original post by Exdoz
For Bio, I saw another person use summary notes too. What is it? Do you literally just summarise what you learnt in class on sheets of paper, and then store it away? How do you make summary notes- I tend to write complex notes to the little minuet detail of everything in bio, then i work from that- so obviously I don't rely on summarisation. Do you think summarising is good? I am just always worried that I need to know every single small detail in Bio incase it comes up as a simple AO1 question in the exam. Hence, I tend to want to have a solid knowledge on everything. What do you think?

I think it’s just reducing the info to learn. My summary notes aren’t that summarised as I’m similar to you!
We get worksheets for every topic with exam qs at the back and tasks and questions from the PowerPoints which we have to finish and then I begin summarising :
1: notes from all the textbooks and ppts and sheets per lesson with keywords defined stores in my file
2: basically the same notes but also with a revision guide typed up on the computer in a small font which I store in my glasswork file - I make prompt sheets on these and then go through the qs and check against my notes
3: random homework summaries and flash cards for my teacher that I never use as I’m worried they’re not detailed enough! At the end of the topic.

I think if you’re good at summarising they’re fine but would likely say I’m somewhere between full on summaries and minutiae detail. I want solid knowledge too but feel exam qs are more important ?
@Exdoz
For example: the summary
A79B4B84-40BF-4E0D-B936-DED3C3E45A51.jpg.jpeg
Then the prompt sheet
B84E22F9-274C-4259-BC19-2F068666514C.jpg.jpeg
Then the recap
CD3868EB-C6D5-40A6-BB20-BD8AB54DB4C6.jpg.jpeg
This is chapter 11 aqa on photosynthesis (ignore if the prompt sheet says 12 as it was the first I could find) and I’ve got the 2 textbooks and revision guide from around 15 pages in each textbook and 5/6 in the guide to two sheets a4 - also please excuse my atrocious handwriting
Fully aware of the stats hence the question your statement is what I personally think

I think you have had a really tough week and have not been helped by the responses of your teachers. Tbh interview technique can be learned and also a bit of self belief will work wonders. You really want to be a good doctor. Go in there thinking I am the best person for this slot and believe it. With Biology its a.memorisation game. Get your parents to practice interviews with you. They just need to ask open ended questions and encourage you to refine your responses to find more confident. Is there a chemistry teacher you could go over your paper with.
Reply 78
@Exdoz
For example: the summary
A79B4B84-40BF-4E0D-B936-DED3C3E45A51.jpg.jpeg
Then the prompt sheet
B84E22F9-274C-4259-BC19-2F068666514C.jpg.jpeg
Then the recap
CD3868EB-C6D5-40A6-BB20-BD8AB54DB4C6.jpg.jpeg
This is chapter 11 aqa on photosynthesis (ignore if the prompt sheet says 12 as it was the first I could find) and I’ve got the 2 textbooks and revision guide from around 15 pages in each textbook and 5/6 in the guide to two sheets a4 - also please excuse my atrocious handwriting

So basically you use 2 textbooks and a revision guide to form your notes. And in total, for photosynthesis, there are 15 pages in each book and 5 in the guide (so a total of 35 pages on photosynthesis), which you narrowed down to 2 sheets of A4. So is this what summarisation is? And do you think this method is the best of all- so you reckon condensing into like 20 flashcards is not good? Also, is your method quick- like how long does it take to make ti and go over it? And when you come back to it, do you just read off it, or you somehow actively recall it? I only use flashcards because it's great for active recall, but it takes a long time to write.
Original post by Scotney
I think you have had a really tough week and have not been helped by the responses of your teachers. Tbh interview technique can be learned and also a bit of self belief will work wonders. You really want to be a good doctor. Go in there thinking I am the best person for this slot and believe it. With Biology its a.memorisation game. Get your parents to practice interviews with you. They just need to ask open ended questions and encourage you to refine your responses to find more confident. Is there a chemistry teacher you could go over your paper with.

Thanks for being so kind. I think interviews it’s just practice so hopefully that will help and I know the self confidence would be good so I’m trying to work on that. With biology I think it’s a mix of the topics we were doing and the fact I need to do some more practice but also I was really distracted this week as I was aware it was going to be tough and just let it get the better of me and it made it so much worse - half term has been a good chance to refocus to be honest. I think we’ll be going over the chemistry on Monday and everyone I know found it really hard - I know I need to see where I went wrong and improve but what annoys me the most is the teachers giving hundreds of past paper questions to practise for the test which didn’t resemble the paper in the slightest but it will nonetheless provide a great opportunity for development

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending