The Student Room Group

Should I go uni now or next year?

I’m in a big dilemma so I passed two of AS levels and have failed one so in A2 I was forced to pick up another AS level alongside my two a levels.
I either can go to uni this year but I would go to a uni that I don’t like with (two a levels and a AS) or wait for another year to complete another a level and then go to uni with my three a levels?
What shall I do?
There’s pros and cons of both for example if I don’t go uni next year my friends will go without me and if I go this year I get to go with my age group. And if I go next year I get to work out what I want to study and could save money for uni!
Someone help me decide!!!
If I was you, I would go next year so I can get more better grades and go to a uni I like. You can still be friends with your friends in the end it’s just that you will make new friends :smile: there’s a variety of ages at uni so don’t worry about being different due to your age. Saving money will help you for rainy days and you don’t have worry too much about budgeting. It’s much better finding out what you like then going into something at a uni you don’t like with decent grades and a potential degree you might not like.
Reply 2
I couldn’t agree more you have made my decision a little easier, thank you so much!
Original post by PetitePanda
If I was you, I would go next year so I can get more better grades and go to a uni I like. You can still be friends with your friends in the end it’s just that you will make new friends :smile: there’s a variety of ages at uni so don’t worry about being different due to your age. Saving money will help you for rainy days and you don’t have worry too much about budgeting. It’s much better finding out what you like then going into something at a uni you don’t like with decent grades and a potential degree you might not like.
Original post by Sayyy
I couldn’t agree more you have made my decision a little easier, thank you so much!

No problem, I’m glad it’s helped your decision. You have a lot of time before you have to decide so good luck on making a choice :smile:
Original post by Sayyy
I’m in a big dilemma so I passed two of AS levels and have failed one so in A2 I was forced to pick up another AS level alongside my two a levels.
I either can go to uni this year but I would go to a uni that I don’t like with (two a levels and a AS) or wait for another year to complete another a level and then go to uni with my three a levels?
What shall I do?
There’s pros and cons of both for example if I don’t go uni next year my friends will go without me and if I go this year I get to go with my age group. And if I go next year I get to work out what I want to study and could save money for uni!

Just be careful tho, from some of my research some universities will only accept 3 a levels that have been taken in the same year so you might want to enquire at the university you want to go to whether they would allow you to have 3 a levels from 2 different years if that makes sense
Original post by Sayyy
What shall I do?

Honestly, going to uni at 19 will make no difference to your life in the long run. You're far more likely to enjoy uni if you're at a uni you like and feel happy at- 2 A-levels + 2 AS-levels won't necessarily give you a huge choice of unis and courses.

Next year might not be the most fun if all your friends are off at uni- but as you say you can work and save and maybe travel a bit. Once you get to uni it will honestly stop mattering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending