The Student Room Group

“Children of single mothers are ill raised, aggressive and ignorant”

According to our lovely PM Boris Johnson

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-boris-johnson-articles-women-women-journalist-spectator-labour-a9221036.html%3famp

Quote from the article:

“In a column written for The Spectator, the Tory leader said it was “outrageous that married couples should pay for ‘the single mothers’ desire to procreate independently of men. And he suggested it was “feeble” for a man to be unable or unwilling to “take control of his woman”, arguing Britain needed to “restore women’s desire to be married”
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, he is a racist, sexist brat. So I'm not at all surprised that he came out with more rubbish, since that seems to be all that he can do.
what a ****
Original post by aliyaoreo
Well, he is a racist, sexist brat. So I'm not at all surprised that he came out with more rubbish, since that seems to be all that he can do.

Original post by Glaz
what a ****

Yep, pretty much, just wanted to get it out there so that all the Tory voters on here know what kind of a person they’re truely voting for
How on earth can people vote for this person o.0
Boris Johnson, divorced once and now in the process of getting divorced again.
Reply 6
The slight detail your all ignoring is that this was written in 1995. He has not said anything similar to my knowledge recently.

10-15 years ago I held several homophobic and racist views whereas by about 2012 I was pretty liberal. People's opinions change somewhat.

Boris has many flaws but I don't believe his 24 year old views on single mothers should be one of them.

Though he is correct that the damage done to the nuclear family has been dreadful for society and should be encouraged.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
How on earth can people vote for this person o.0

Because normal people appreciate that just because you said something once 25 years ago that it didn't necessarily mean you still believe that same thing years later?

25 years ago I said that all I ever wanted to do was eat jelly and become a fireman. Guess what? I eat other foods now and I'm not in the fire service...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
The slight detail your all ignoring is that this was written in 1995. He has not said anything similar to my knowledge recently.

10-15 years ago I held several homophobic and racist views whereas by about 2012 I was pretty liberal. People's opinions change somewhat.

Boris has many flaws but I don't believe his 24 year old views on single mothers should be one of them.

Though he is correct that the damage done to the nuclear family has been dreadful for society and should be encouraged.

I’ve yet to see any evidence he has changed his views; if you can provide as such it would be good
Original post by Drewski
Because normal people appreciate that just because you said something once 25 years ago that it didn't necessarily mean you still believe that same thing years later?

25 years ago I said that all I ever wanted to do was eat jelly and become a fireman. Guess what? I eat other foods now and I'm not in the fire service...

Proof that he has changed his views?
Prove that he still has the same view.
Im not surprised he's said such a thing tbh, he really doesn't help himself.
Sadly, I imagine many Tory voters agree and this will only go towards consolidating his position.

If there is one thing that can boost your popularity it is to appeal to people's ignorant prejudices by vilifying the perceived unworthy poor.
Original post by Drewski
Prove that he still has the same view.

He seemed to still hold the same view by 2007 at least and has yet to make any statement to rectify what he has said

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2007/05/the-pursuit-of-happiness/

“The colossal expansion in the numbers of female graduates is in many ways a marvellous thing; but it has boosted the well-documented process of assortative mating, by which middle-class graduates marry middle-class graduates and thereby entrench their economic advantages, pooling their graduate incomes to push up house prices and increase the barriers to entry for the rest. The result is that in families on lower incomes the women have absolutely no choice but to work, often with adverse consequences for family life and society as a whole in that unloved and undisciplined children are more likely to become hoodies, NEETS, and mug you on the street corner.”

In this he also seemed to blame women for rising house prices
Original post by ByEeek
Sadly, I imagine many Tory voters agree and this will only go towards consolidating his position.

If there is one thing that can boost your popularity it is to appeal to people's ignorant prejudices by vilifying the perceived unworthy poor.

One can live in hope that not all Tory voters agree with this but humanity seems to have an endless capacity to disappoint
The thing that'll really piss you off though is that the bold bit is right.

Kids from single parent households do tend to, on average, be more likely to become that type of kid.

Do all? Of course not.
But is it a politically accurate statement? Accurate enough that numbers will back him up.
Yes they are,having a single parent is very bad for children
Original post by ByEeek

It was a normal historical view to be fair. Attlee's view of unmarried mothers was that they were feckless and in modern parlance essentially sluts. They were actually essentially excluded from the benefits system.

That's actually a fair view when put like that although I would add that the states enforcement of progressive liberalism combined with the legal culture has also substantially weakened discipline and resulted in 'violent youths'.
So what's his excuse for being as the title?
Original post by Drewski
The thing that'll really piss you off though is that the bold bit is right.

Kids from single parent households do tend to, on average, be more likely to become that type of kid.

Do all? Of course not.
But is it a politically accurate statement? Accurate enough that numbers will back him up.

In politics accurancy counts for nothing as Trump has shown to great effect. Corbyn is promising to solve everything but will not get in because he is unconvincing. Boris could promise to make us all millionaires and some people would believe him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending