The Student Room Group

Dislocated effing knee - help? How long till I can be normal again?

Scroll to see replies

Muffer
I don't mind exercise, really! I'm just worried it'll cut into my precious revision time!

Are you sure it'll be just once a week? Thanks for allowing me to pester you, really xx

Not sure if it'll be once a week even! I'm recovering from surgery so have to attend a physio class. If I remember rightly, post-injury you're usually in every fortnight or so? xx
Reply 21
Danielle89
For the first week I was walking about fine, except for the first few days when I was knocked out with the morphine they'd given me at the hospital. It was out for a good hour because they had to get me off the train which involved taking off a table-top and squeezing me down the aisle of the train with me viciously sucking at the gas and air they gave me.

When I had the cast on I didnt even use the crutches most of the time and I was out drinking and clubbing lol. I also lived up 4 flights of stairs in a building with no lift so at least I lost some weight climbing up and down them...

Im glad they put me in the cast to be honest, because if not it'd be much more likely to dislocate again, and the more that happens, the more likely it is to develop arthritis in the knee at a later age

Thanks, I'll talk to my GP about all this now. I really don't want a great bloody clunky cast but at the same time, I never EVER want this to happen again, so maybe I'll have to grin and bear it!

Did you prop it up with anything or did you just do anything with it? I'm just wondering if I have to be like serious over-careful here.
Muffer

Did you prop it up with anything or did you just do anything with it? I'm just wondering if I have to be like serious over-careful here.

ever since mine started dislocating ive always been very careful, even now i still wear a bandage to bed as mine happened twice when i was turning over in bed
Reply 23
tinktinktinkerbell
ever since mine started dislocating ive always been very careful, even now i still wear a bandage to bed as mine happened twice when i was turning over in bed

Gah. I really hope I don't get the tendency. That sounds just annoying. What sort of bandage is that - an Ace one?
Muffer
Gah. I really hope I don't get the tendency. That sounds just annoying. What sort of bandage is that - an Ace one?

dont know what make it is, ive worn it so much the names rubbed off

just googled ace bandages and it doesnt look like the one ive got, i got mine years ago
Reply 25
tinktinktinkerbell
dont know what make it is, ive worn it so much the names rubbed off

just googled ace bandages and it doesnt look like the one ive got, i got mine years ago

Thanks anyway x

By the way which drugs did you take when it hurt? Ibuprofen?llllllllllllllllll
Muffer
Thanks anyway x

By the way which drugs did you take when it hurt? Ibuprofen?llllllllllllllllll

yeah, thats good for taking the swelling down and i take co-codamol aswell
Reply 27
Muffer
I do, I'm mad about tennis. But it's the EXAMS that are bothering me - I'm always all over the place, bouncing over to friend's place to do revision, going to this studio place to ask a professional for help, and of course going into college.

It's hell, just hell.

Ok, sucks to be you I guess
its been 4 weeks after patellar dislocation! and now also i can’t walk properly. im having the plaster onn!! so atlest how much time it should take? its a lateral patellar dislocation
Did it ever happen again after it????
ti_gogna)its been 4 weeks after patellar dislocation! and now also i can’t walk properly. im having the plaster onn!! so atlest how much time it should take? its a lateral patellar dislocation ur knee was stiffed
How about trying what you think is a dislocated knee being told petty much its all in your head (I have clinical anxiety by the way) and told there is nothing wrong, no crutches strap or anything told to walk on it, then for over a year and still carrying on constant pain and popping sensation presumably it dislocating again and again, Now that is hell
Reply 32
took about 3 or 4 months for the swelling to go down in mine, but tbh my knee was never the same again after that

If I sit in a tight space like a coach for many hours it will get stiff and hurt so much I can barely walk. and it creaks when i sit down and bend it.

other than that it's ok.

I did not go to hospital or go on crutches or anything. After I dislocated it and was spralled out on the floor not knowing wtf was going, instinctively for some reason I just reached over and popped my knee back in place.

Like something from one of those action movies

strangly though I can't remember it hurting when popping it back in
Understand totally x Did the same when falling outta shower, stupid husband watching tv downstairsHad to dry myself tried to stand up but knee like jelly fell again! Knee went back in but couldn't stand. 3 hours later a ambulance arrived, hospital took X-ray put huge brace on no tablets or pain relieving said I would be phoned next day o right two!! Three days I'm still waiting can't bend my leg or stand without brace and crutches my husbands tuts every time I as for something I'm fed Up so fed up!! Fun isn't it!! xx
I dislocated my full kneecap 2 days ago. Took them 2 and a half hours to send an ambulance and get me off of the train. When I got to the hospital they left me for an hour before partially popping it back in and then they couldn't get it any further. Went for an x-ray and it went back itself. I was f*****g screaming the place down! Given a brace and a set of crutches, told I would have a phone call by Thursday (which is today) from orthopaedics and I have still had nothing. Never told me how long I had to wear the brace or use the crutches, told me bloody nothing. Never even told me to avoid stairs which is a joke considering there's stairs everywhere just to get in to my house alone, they don't care about giving you the information that you need, they just care about getting you out as fast as possible tbh. I'm only on day 2 of recovery and I want to claw my eyes out because of the pain and discomfort as well as the fact my right knee is starting to weaken because there is so much pressure being put on it to keep me going.
Original post by Darijayde
I dislocated my full kneecap 2 days ago. Took them 2 and a half hours to send an ambulance and get me off of the train. When I got to the hospital they left me for an hour before partially popping it back in and then they couldn't get it any further. Went for an x-ray and it went back itself. I was f*****g screaming the place down! Given a brace and a set of crutches, told I would have a phone call by Thursday (which is today) from orthopaedics and I have still had nothing. Never told me how long I had to wear the brace or use the crutches, told me bloody nothing. Never even told me to avoid stairs which is a joke considering there's stairs everywhere just to get in to my house alone, they don't care about giving you the information that you need, they just care about getting you out as fast as possible tbh. I'm only on day 2 of recovery and I want to claw my eyes out because of the pain and discomfort as well as the fact my right knee is starting to weaken because there is so much pressure being put on it to keep me going.

See your GP for painkillers and call the hospital tomorrow to chase up the orthopaedic appointment. Hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply

Latest