The Student Room Group

Shops refusing to sell 24 year old student Lemsip cold and flu medicine?

Having to take time off uni due to flu is the worst during deadlines.. i had my PASSPORT IDENTIFICATION with me, proving I am 24. Poundland refused to sell me one single packet of Lemsip, they looked at my ID, they said only people over 25 can buy Lemsip and refused to sell it to me.. Has anyone else been a victim of this ridiculousness? I’m 24! Online it states you have to be 16!
Reply 1
Original post by allowitmate
Having to take time off uni due to flu is the worst during deadlines.. i had my PASSPORT IDENTIFICATION with me, proving I am 24. Poundland refused to sell me one single packet of Lemsip, they looked at my ID, they said only people over 25 can buy Lemsip and refused to sell it to me.. Has anyone else been a victim of this ridiculousness? I’m 24! Online it states you have to be 16!

Poundland staff can be some of the stupidest around

I'm in my 30's, and once a new lady working there asked me for ID when I tried to buy painkillers. I look young for my age but not to the extent where someone would think I was under 16. So I asked her, do you really think i'm 15?
and you know what she said?
"I'm not being funny but there are some people who can grow facial hair you know" [referencing my facial hair]

In the end another member of staff became involved and told the woman to sell me it.
Sounds like the staff have misunderstood the whole 'challenge 25' thing, I can't imagine their training is that great.
Reply 3
Original post by ANM775
Poundland staff can be some of the stupidest around

It's not about being stupid. They just do not care.
Budget stores are budget for a reason. They pay their employees poorly so in return they do not attract employees that care.
Reply 4

i'm in my mid twenties and i can't even buy a scratch card without my id, so........ it's probably your babyface.
Original post by adam271
It's not about being stupid. They just do not care.
Budget stores are budget for a reason. They pay their employees poorly so in return they do not attract employees that care.

Bingo, there's a reason Lemsip costs £3-4 anywhere else.
Reply 6

Try either going back and asking to talk to a manager if you have the same issue or going to another shop like tesco or a pharmacy.
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
i'm in my mid twenties and i can't even buy a scratch card without my id, so........ it's probably your babyface.

I showed the woman my passport showing I’m 24.. she said Lemsip isn’t for people under 25
Your first mistake was going to Poundland lmaoooo
Reply 9
I showed the woman my passport showing I’m 24.. she said Lemsip isn’t for people under 25

she was probably new or something. some stores will ask you to produce your id if you look under the age of 25, no matter what the restricted item is. she obviously misunderstood the policy.

I'm pretty sure she made this up... You can buy paracetamol from the age of 16. I would have asked to speak to the manager.
Yeah, as others have said it sounds like she's ****ed up a challenge 25 policy. You're legally allowed to buy that sorta thing from 16 and up.
I find out about the world's most unique problems on here I swear

Sounds like they're missing a few brain cells
You can't expect much from someone at Poundland.
At least you were served by someone who isn’t necessarily expected to know anything about medicines, and was probably just being (albeit incorrectly) overcautious.

About a year ago I walked into a Pharmacy and asked for a box of Ibuprofen. The girl serving me asked if I was taking any other medications to which I replied that I had already taken some Paracetamol, and she immediately said that I couldn’t take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together! 😂 how she got a job selling drugs in a Pharmacy is beyond me

Just go to a Pharamcy or a supermarkeet - Ive had problems like this before in Pounland, Seems theyre very poorly trained staff
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
At least you were served by someone who isn’t necessarily expected to know anything about medicines, and was probably just being (albeit incorrectly) overcautious.

About a year ago I walked into a Pharmacy and asked for a box of Ibuprofen. The girl serving me asked if I was taking any other medications to which I replied that I had already taken some Paracetamol, and she immediately said that I couldn’t take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together! 😂 how she got a job selling drugs in a Pharmacy is beyond me

This is worrying that she doesnt know you can. I suppose that is being cautious if shes doesnt actually know, but she works for a Pharmacy so should know?

Did you ask to see the manager?
It was ok to ask you under challenge 25 but they obviously failed to understand that it is a challenge and once you have shown id that you are 16 you can but OTC medicine containing paracetamol.

Take it up with customer service.
https://www.acs.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/acs-advice-age-restricted-sales-aw5-31.10.16-v3-hr-spreads.pdf
Reply 19
Also, i'm not being sexist but i've never ever had an issue with a male when trying to buy products, if someone kicks up a big fuss it's always a female

anyone else find this?

Quick Reply

Latest