The Student Room Group

Unhappy with Social Life

Okay so I’m probably going to sound really arrogant and pompous but I’m just trying to get honest advice so here goes:
I’m really always unhappy and don’t go anywhere because of anxiety. I have 4 close friends whom i love but I just feel like they don’t fully understand me even though they’re so special to me and do so much for me.
Basically I’m a bit of a funny person, can goof off but what I absolutely LOVE is discussions and debates about societal issues. I genuinely want to talk politics, opinions on social media influence on mental health and debate topics like that 24/7. I love reading and having ‘intelligent’ discussions like that but well.... none of my friends r like that. My college is underachieving and long story short my friends predicted grades range from CEE-BBC so they’re not very into academia. They never want to have those discussions with me and want to spend their free time unwinding and I don’t blame them but I just feel so unstimulated day by day.
Yesterday someone approached me for an interview for their psychology dissertation and i had a LOVELY debate with them that I hadn’t had in so long. I was so excited i paced round my room for an hour telling everyone about how happy i was. It kind of made me realise what I’m missing.
I have trouble making new and close friends and my school has no debating society and I don’t know how to find a platform to express my thoughts. What can i do?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I’m probably going to sound really arrogant and pompous but I’m just trying to get honest advice so here goes:
I’m really always unhappy and don’t go anywhere because of anxiety. I have 4 close friends whom i love but I just feel like they don’t fully understand me even though they’re so special to me and do so much for me.
Basically I’m a bit of a funny person, can goof off but what I absolutely LOVE is discussions and debates about societal issues. I genuinely want to talk politics, opinions on social media influence on mental health and debate topics like that 24/7. I love reading and having ‘intelligent’ discussions like that but well.... none of my friends r like that. My college is underachieving and long story short my friends predicted grades range from CEE-BBC so they’re not very into academia. They never want to have those discussions with me and want to spend their free time unwinding and I don’t blame them but I just feel so unstimulated day by day.
Yesterday someone approached me for an interview for their psychology dissertation and i had a LOVELY debate with them that I hadn’t had in so long. I was so excited i paced round my room for an hour telling everyone about how happy i was. It kind of made me realise what I’m missing.
I have trouble making new and close friends and my school has no debating society and I don’t know how to find a platform to express my thoughts. What can i do?

Wow are you my doppelganger lol.
Is there absolutely nobody in your college that you can have these discussions with? Maybe keep looking.

Fundamentally you should do what you want. As hard as it is (because I'm well aware of the peer pressure!) stick with reading and stimulating your mind even if you're made fun of/ousted/doesn't get you a lot of friends. By all means don't abandon your friends because friends are great but work on yourself and be patient; after school (are you going to university?) there are lots of avenues for people like you

In the mean time, what I used to do is look online for competitions like essays or debates. They look really good on your CV and university application. And they're interesting.

Personally what I realised is that really I know nothing at this age, so debating etc. although was a good place to learn stuff was a much slower place to learn stuff then reading. So use the time to get dat knowledge
Reply 2
Original post by frantika
Wow are you my doppelganger lol.
Is there absolutely nobody in your college that you can have these discussions with? Maybe keep looking.

Fundamentally you should do what you want. As hard as it is (because I'm well aware of the peer pressure!) stick with reading and stimulating your mind even if you're made fun of/ousted/doesn't get you a lot of friends. By all means don't abandon your friends because friends are great but work on yourself and be patient; after school (are you going to university?) there are lots of avenues for people like you

In the mean time, what I used to do is look online for competitions like essays or debates. They look really good on your CV and university application. And they're interesting.

Personally what I realised is that really I know nothing at this age, so debating etc. although was a good place to learn stuff was a much slower place to learn stuff then reading. So use the time to get dat knowledge

Well there aren’t a lot of ppl in my college with the range for those topics. Nobody really cares about that stuff. It gets sad sometimes. I keep myself stimulated by studying law and I just get excited with the hope that in Uni I’ll have seminars to debate topics. I love it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending