The Student Room Group

road to 100kg squat

6'0. 73kg bw.

aiming for a 100kg squat after my icf 5x5 programme finishes which is 3 months

currently at 75kgx1
Work on your form more than anything. You're above average height so depending on your proportions you're probably going to have to work on adjustments to find your groove (eg ankle flexibility, knee travel). You can hit 100kg with mediocre form (I have done this) but you'll soon stall and/or get injuries so best to work on this now and develop good habits.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
Work on your form more than anything. You're above average height so depending on your proportions you're probably going to have to work on adjustments to find your groove (eg ankle flexibility, knee travel). You can hit 100kg with mediocre form (I have done this) but you'll soon stall and/or get injuries so best to work on this now and develop good habits.

true, if i get an injury i'll never go back to the gym due to strict parents yk. so i'll work on it. altho i think its decent/good.
Reply 3
It's good to set a goal like 100kg, but be realistic and realize that you might not get there so quickly. When I reached 102.5 for 5 reps, it really burnt me out and I had to take a long break from squatting. My suggestion is work up to 75kg for 5 reps, then lower the weight to 60-65 so you can work on your form more (you choose whether to have 5 or even 8 reps with this weight) with 2-5 second pauses at the bottom each the rep. Then increase the weight until you reach ~90kg with proper form. If your goal is to get to 100kg even with sloppy form, you can keep increasing. I advise against that. Work on your form. Don't use belts until you reach ~150kg so you can work on tightening your core naturally. Hope this helps you brah
Another suggestion for you which will take the headache out of programming and regulating weight. Try GCZL or even GCZL LP (linear version). The best thing is it gets you working relatively close to your max so you're used to heavy weights, but also let's you work on volume which helps you nail your form. They both work together- if form is good at light weight but rubbish at heavy you'll soon find out.

By no means does form need to be perfect, you will never be perfect. That's not the aim. The aim is to get the fundamentals right whether the weight is heavy or light, and to develop proprioception.
Original post by silent ninja
Another suggestion for you which will take the headache out of programming and regulating weight. Try GCZL or even GCZL LP (linear version). The best thing is it gets you working relatively close to your max so you're used to heavy weights, but also let's you work on volume which helps you nail your form. They both work together- if form is good at light weight but rubbish at heavy you'll soon find out.

By no means does form need to be perfect, you will never be perfect. That's not the aim. The aim is to get the fundamentals right whether the weight is heavy or light, and to develop proprioception.

true. atm im running jason blaha 5x5 since im kinda a beginner(3 months in). maybe after this programme idk seems confusing 4 me aha. ye i should work on a better form than weight so i dont **** my back up and sacrifice the gym
Original post by Schutz88
It's good to set a goal like 100kg, but be realistic and realize that you might not get there so quickly. When I reached 102.5 for 5 reps, it really burnt me out and I had to take a long break from squatting. My suggestion is work up to 75kg for 5 reps, then lower the weight to 60-65 so you can work on your form more (you choose whether to have 5 or even 8 reps with this weight) with 2-5 second pauses at the bottom each the rep. Then increase the weight until you reach ~90kg with proper form. If your goal is to get to 100kg even with sloppy form, you can keep increasing. I advise against that. Work on your form. Don't use belts until you reach ~150kg so you can work on tightening your core naturally. Hope this helps you brah

dang i been using belts from 60 onwards. but im progressive overloading now starting at 50kg. increasing the weight by 2.5 every week. form is improving. i recorded myself and if i see im not going deep or any errors i do the set again.

when i get to 75 for 5 reps i'll start pause squats from 60kg? that sounds great ngl then in the future i can squat deep with heavy weights rather than rush and suffer an injury.
week 1:

1.5x50
2.5x50
3.5x50
4.5x50
5.5x50
Reply 7
Also a note for paused squats: if you feel any knee pain or otherwise, stop doing them right away. Instead just do your 10 rep max for 15-20 reps for a few days. You'll have to pause and take deep breaths between reps. That should trigger some new growth without the risk of injury. Actually better just do that instead.

This is pretty poor advice.

There's no need to arbitrarily drop back if he's making progress. If he's feeling beat up he can take it easy for a week, if not, no need to drop down.

There's also no weight where you should wear a belt. If you want one, use one. If you don't, no need. Definetely no need to wait until a threshold like 150kg.

@OP if you are making progress on ICF then just run it as written. Certainly don't add extra squatting work as 5x5 3x a week is tough enough. If you stop making progress hop on something a bit more sophisticated with a better approach to handling plateaus, such as GZCLP.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by illusionz

There's no need to arbitrarily drop back if he's making progress. If he's feeling beat up he can take it easy for a week, if not, no need to drop down.

There's also no weight where you should wear a belt. If you want one, use one. If you don't, no need. Definetely no need to wait until a threshold like 150kg.

@OP if you are making progress on ICF then just run it as written. Certainly don't add extra squatting work as 5x5 3x a week is tough enough. If you stop making progress hop on something a bit more sophisticated with a better approach to handling plateaus, such as GZCLP.

How is taking it easy different from dropping down? Or do you mean just doing maintenance work? Sure, people with great genetics + diet + sleep can keep adding 2.5 kilos every workout until they reach 100kg but for most people it's good to lower the weight and re-evaluate form. I would even drop it down and do the last set of squats AMRAP just to know for sure where my boundaries lie.

You're right though, he should generally decide on his own when to drop down, if it all. I'm just sharing what works for my legs and giving general numbers for guidance.

About the belt, it does matter. A belt, straps, knee sleeves and the like, used to assist your exercises, all have a purpose. That purpose is usually to help break plateaus and hold you from snapping yourself in half when lifting insane weight. I doubt a beginner would need them unless they have some debilitating health issues or chronic back pain.
About the belt, it does matter. A belt, straps, knee sleeves and the like, used to assist your exercises, all have a purpose. That purpose is usually to help break plateaus and hold you from snapping yourself in half when lifting insane weight. I doubt a beginner would need them unless they have some debilitating health issues or chronic back pain.

A belt is used to increase intra abdominal pressure leading to better bracing and enables increased core activation.

Sleeves help keep the knee joint warm and can help allegiate niggles.

There is no reason why a beginner should not use them if they want to. Are they needed? No. Are they ever needed? No. Can they be helpful tools? Yes.

Do you have experience with and without a belt?

Wraps are pretty pointless unless you're a powerlifter competing in a federation that allows them.

Straps are a sensible tool to stop grip being the limiting factor in various pulling lifts, particularly deadlifts or barbell shrugs. Should you exclusively use straps? Probably not but there's no great harm in always using them if you train grip in other ways.
(edited 4 years ago)
A belt is used to increase intra abdominal pressure leading to better bracing and enables increased core activation.

Sleeves help keep the knee joint warm and can help allegiate niggles.

There is no reason why a beginner should not use them if they want to. Are they needed? No. Are they ever needed? No. Can they be helpful tools? Yes.

Do you have experience with and without a belt?

Wraps are pretty pointless unless you're a powerlifter competing in a federation that allows them.

Straps are a sensible tool to stop grip being the limiting factor in various pulling lifts, particularly deadlifts or barbell shrugs. Should you exclusively use straps? Probably not but there's no great harm in always using them if you train grip in other ways.

Of course there is no harm in using straps. I use them myself when setting a PR for deads, or on a day I'm feeling weak and need to do rows, but that's about it. Honestly I was thinking of also buying some sleeves soon because I don't see why not.

I see no reason in beginners using belts. Belts will get you beyond what your body can normally deal with and that can be dangerous when you don't have enough experience in using proper form. A belt allows you to simply create outward pressure to increase stability instead of actually bracing your abdomen tightly inward. I realized this when I increased my squat kilos a lot and started getting bruise marks on my stomach. It makes a rather big difference if you train with or without a belt, and I will 100% support doing it without. Now sometimes it might be a good idea to put on a belt, especially when setting a DL PR, but otherwise it's not necessary and will even cause bruising and stomach pain if you don't know how to brace properly.

Basically, brace inward instead of outward. It only works to learn this without a belt.

When you get used to proper bracing form, put on a belt and see your gains skyrocket.
(edited 4 years ago)
Of course there is no harm in using straps. I use them myself when setting a PR for deads, or on a day I'm feeling weak and need to do rows, but that's about it. Honestly I was thinking of also buying some sleeves soon because I don't see why not.

I see no reason in beginners using belts. Belts will get you beyond what your body can normally deal with and that can be dangerous when you don't have enough experience in using proper form. A belt allows you to simply create outward pressure to increase stability instead of actually bracing your abdomen tightly inward. I realized this when I increased my squat kilos a lot and started getting bruise marks on my stomach. It makes a rather big difference if you train with or without a belt, and I will 100% support doing it without. Now sometimes it might be a good idea to put on a belt, especially when setting a DL PR, but otherwise it's not necessary and will even cause bruising and stomach pain if you don't know how to brace properly.

Basically, brace inward instead of outward. It only works to learn this without a belt.

When you get used to proper bracing form, put on a belt and see your gains skyrocket.

You are not supposed to have to push out into the belt, if you have to then its too loose.

There is nothing dangerous about using a belt. Sure, ideally you'd do beltless work too.

Bruising on your stomach is normal, I'm not sure what you think you can conclude from that.

I agree a belt is not necessary, nothing is. But there is no reason not to use one if you want to.

I'm interested, what is your lifting experience level? What belt do you own and how much do you squat?

You might find this an interesting read
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
(edited 4 years ago)
You are not supposed to have to push out into the belt, if you have to then its too loose.

There is nothing dangerous about using a belt. Sure, ideally you'd do beltless work too.

Bruising on your stomach is normal, I'm not sure what you think you can conclude from that.

I agree a belt is not necessary, nothing is. But there is no reason not to use one if you want to.

I'm interested, what is your lifting experience level? What belt do you own and how much do you squat?

You might find this an interesting read
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

Yes, you aren't supposed to push into the belt.
Bruising should be minimized if possible through using good form.
I worked up to a 120 squat with limited belt use, only to help break plateaus. It's more important that beginners focus on form and making the movement natural to them, without needing the support of a belt. This will help develop their overall core stability and strength. I feel like a belt should be used once you graduate from beginner level lifting (140-160kg squat), because at that point you're risking injury without it. Plus by then you already know the form and what technique works for you.

I guess we both agree belts are useful and important, what I'm saying is beginners would benefit from wearing them only when absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the link btw. Will have a read.
Also a note for paused squats: if you feel any knee pain or otherwise, stop doing them right away. Instead just do your 10 rep max for 15-20 reps for a few days. You'll have to pause and take deep breaths between reps. That should trigger some new growth without the risk of injury. Actually better just do that instead.

i use knee sleeves to minimise injury and not gonna use a belt since 50kg-60kg is light for me.

yep i'll hop on that when i plateu.
5x55
5x55
5x55
4x55
3x55

im only gonna increase weight by 2.5 every week rather than every session as this was ****ing solid. espec going below parallel.
squat:

5x55
5x55
5x55
5x50
5x50

heavy back(barbell rows, pull downs and lats).

bench:
5x45
5x40
5x40
5x40
5x40

and leg extensions for quads hams and a lil calves
5x55
5x55
5x55
5x55
5x50