The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year??

So I have applied to uni and have received some offers. The uni that I wanted to go to unfortunately rejected me. I am an eu student but have been living in the uk for more than 10 years. It has not been if EU students will be charged the same 9k. Should I take a gap year or accept one of my offers.
Why did they reject you, if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Why did they reject you, if you don’t mind me asking?

Other applicants had higher predicted grades. It was for computer science at warwick. My predicted grades were AAA.
Original post by dasda
Other applicants had higher predicted grades. It was for computer science at warwick. My predicted grades were AAA.

I don’t think Warwick would be in clearing for computer science so you could apply for next year if you really wanted to go to Warwick or maybe adjustment? (Not sure about the process). What do you think about your other offers like is there anything you like about them or does it not compare to Warwick?
Would you not be happy to study for 3+ years at your other choices?
Reply 5
Even if you took a gap year, there is nor guarantee that you would get into Warwick next year. I'd imagine that competition for university places is going to be high next year with the number of people likely to defer their entry until next year.
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
I don’t think Warwick would be in clearing for computer science so you could apply for next year if you really wanted to go to Warwick or maybe adjustment? (Not sure about the process). What do you think about your other offers like is there anything you like about them or does it not compare to Warwick?

If there is no funding for EU students, I would probably choose Manchester or Birmingham. I am still currently deciding which one to choose. I live in Birmingham so it would be less expensive to move out.
Reply 7
Original post by becausethenight
Would you not be happy to study for 3+ years at your other choices?

It's not that I wouldn't be happy. It is the feeling that I could have done better.
Reply 8
What I am thinking of doing is accepting an offer and if EU fees will be the same as UK fees, I will take a gap year.
Original post by dasda
If there is no funding for EU students, I would probably choose Manchester or Birmingham. I am still currently deciding which one to choose. I live in Birmingham so it would be less expensive to move out.

I suggest choosing your firm/insurance choices and use the time till results day if Manchester and Birmingham would be a uni courses that would make you stay with those choices instead of gap year. If you don’t think you’ll be satisfied with Birmingham and Manchester, you can refuse their offer on results day and look at clearing. If you don’t like anything in clearing, take a gap year and try for Warwick again. However, Warwick is competitive for computer science and you might not get in; you will need to show you used your gap year effectively and shown you have changed since your last application.
you need a CORNOA YEAR bro. Chill at home and watch the world around you burning. A year later you will emerge unscathed and well equipped to expolit the economy and secure your dream job or university or whatever
Original post by dasda
It's not that I wouldn't be happy. It is the feeling that I could have done better.

Yeah that would be frustrating. You should only pick another uni course if you feel that you can fully commit to it and ignore your regrets. As has been said, though, there's no guarantee you'll get into Warwick in 2021.
Before you decide on a gap year, think about what you could do on it.
Original post by dasda
So I have applied to uni and have received some offers. The uni that I wanted to go to unfortunately rejected me. I am an eu student b.ut have been living in the uk for more than 10 years. It has not been if EU students will be charged the same 9k. Should I take a gap year or accept one of my offers.

If you have been here for 10 years wont you qualify as UK for student finance. Try student finance England for clarification. Funding is based on where you have lived for the last 3 years not your nationality. Warwick is very competitive for Computer Science and you might not get in next year
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
If you have been here for 10 years wont you qualify as UK for student finance. Try student finance England for clarification. Funding is based on where you have lived for the last 3 years not your nationality. Warwick is very competitive for Computer Science and you might not get in next year

Thank you for your response. I understand that Warwick is very competitive but I was under-predicted by my teachers so the university did not have a good representation of what I was capable of.
Original post by dasda
Thank you for your response. I understand that Warwick is very competitive but I was under-predicted by my teachers so the university did not have a good representation of what I was capable of.

There was somebody on here a month or so ago who was rejected with predicted grades of A*A*A. Going to Warwick isnt a massive upgrade on your other choices and there is no guarantee you will get in next year. It is just something you need to think on. Loads think about gap years but that is not always the best option. Take your time and think on it. Rejection hurts but sometimes it is best to just put it to 1 side.
Reply 15
Original post by dasda
So I have applied to uni and have received some offers. The uni that I wanted to go to unfortunately rejected me. I am an EU student but have been living in the uk for more than 10 years. It has not been if EU students will be charged the same 9k. Should I take a gap year or accept one of my offers.

Lots of people are deferring this year, so you'll have a higher chance of getting either another one of your options, or a better one in clearing. Next year will be tough as you'll have two years worth of students applying, so its whether you think your results will be good enough to still get into somewhere you want to?

-- Don't want that to sound insulting! I'm going for it this year as my predicted grades are no where good enough to get me where I want to go next year if things are more competitive
Baffled that someone would think that Warwick would be “doing better” than Manchester for comp sci :eek2:
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
Baffled that someone would think that Warwick would be “doing better” than Manchester for comp sci :eek2:

Manchester does have a great reputation because the early work done by Turing but I can commute to warwick plus the median salary is pretty decent.
Original post by dasda
Manchester does have a great reputation because the early work done by Turing but I can commute to warwick plus the median salary is pretty decent.

The differences between any of the top 20 universities tends to be minimal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending