The Student Room Group

Student-teacher relationships

I’m 16 years old and I’m my 5th year at secondary school. Just over a year ago a teacher left my school that I was very close with. He used to give me a lot of advice and helped me through a lot of bad times in my life. He knew me better than anyone and I always felt safe with him. As I said it’s been over a year since he left my school and since then we’ve spoken briefly over email but not much. I have very strong feelings for him that are only deepening with time despite not being able to see him or speak to him. I miss him deeply and I’ve been thinking about reaching out once I finish school and have started university to talk about how I’ve felt because I simply don’t see myself moving on any time soon. We never said a real goodbye after all the time we’d spent together which was very upsetting.

So I just don’t know if I should reach out or not in the future :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taygirl2805
I’m 16 years old and I’m my 5th year at secondary school. Just over a year ago a teacher left my school that I was very close with. He used to give me a lot of advice and helped me through a lot of bad times in my life. He knew me better than anyone and I always felt safe with him. As I said it’s been over a year since he left my school and since then we’ve spoken briefly over email but not much. I have very strong feelings for him that are only deepening with time despite not being able to see him or speak to him. I miss him deeply and I’ve been thinking about reaching out once I finish school and have started university to talk about how I’ve felt because I simply don’t see myself moving on any time soon. We never said a real goodbye after all the time we’d spent together which was very upsetting.

It’s unlikely he feels the same way about you. Please do not message him.
Wait until you’re 18, then he’ll be allowed to reply to you
Reply 3
No, please dont.
There are so many people in the world that arent your teachers :colonhash:
Unless you want pure awkwardness, don’t.
Reply 5
Original post by Fermion.
It’s unlikely he feels the same way about you. Please do not message him.

I don’t necessarily want him in my life that way as much as I’d just like to stay in touch because I care for him, I just want to know he’s ok.
Reply 6
I very much doubt he feels the same, he probably genuinely just wanted to help you as that was his job. Its good that you had a solid relationship in an educational way but its really not a good idea to go forward beyond that.

No offense but he’d probably find it very creepy. Besides, if he is still working as a teacher elsewhere you could end up losing him his job.

If you ever see him out and about, feel free to have a pleasant chat. But do not seek the poor guy out as it’ll probably freak him out

Stay safe
Reply 7
Original post by Laurence010401
Wait until you’re 18, then he’ll be allowed to reply to you

Thank you.

Original post by LovelyMrFox
No, please dont.
There are so many people in the world that arent your teachers :colonhash:

Would it not be okay for us to be friends after I’ve left school?
Reply 8
Original post by Liluzihurt
Unless you want pure awkwardness, don’t.

He isn’t the type of person that would make things awkward, we’ve always been very professional but never awkward. I just don’t see it turning out that way.
Reply 9
Would it not be okay for us to be friends after I’ve left school?

It would honestly be kinda weird.

Its good that you are choosing to wait a few years before reaching out to the ex-teacher. You have a lot of things to think about in the coming years - A level, Univerisity choices, driving lessons etc. If - by the time you are 18 y- you are still thinking about your teacher then do reach out to him but now whilst you are 16 and still developing as an adult. Give yourself time.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
It would honestly be kinda weird.

Weird in what way?
Original post by Anonymous
Its good that you are choosing to wait a few years before reaching out to the ex-teacher. You have a lot of things to think about in the coming years - A level, Univerisity choices, driving lessons etc. If - by the time you are 18 y- you are still thinking about your teacher then do reach out to him but now whilst you are 16 and still developing as an adult. Give yourself time.

Thank you, this was very helpful.
Original post by Lexivee03
Bruh don’t even...

Why not?
I piss on my teacher desk

Ok??
I suggest you tell him about how u feel, get it over and done with. Hiding from your feeling won’t help at all. If it works out then great! But if it doesn’t you are still young and I’m sure you will find someone in the future

Bruh don’t even....
Reply 17
Weird in what way?

Because he used to be your teacher, and hes at least 10 years older than you :confused:
I suggest you tell him about how u feel, get it over and done with. Hiding from your feeling won’t help at all. If it works out then great! But if it doesn’t you are still young and I’m sure you will find someone in the future

I’m worried if I tell him that I have romantic feelings I’ll lose any chance of having a friendship. He’s very professional.
I piss on my teacher desk

I don’t recall asking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending