The Student Room Group

What is something about university that no one tells you. 🍵

Lets talk. Give the real tea and advice for potential students perhaps? And what is the difference in terms of college/school to it

Scroll to see replies

That nobody tells you anything lol. You have to find out yourself...

And you’ll find that out yourself.
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
Lets talk. Give the real tea and advice for potential students perhaps? And what is the difference in terms of college/school to it

It goes way too fast (much faster than school college).

Imo the best bit of the academic year are the 2/3 weeks immediately after uni has finished but no one has moved out yet.

It’s nothing like school, you are far more independent and have more responsibility, also the way you get taught is very different.
In terms of difference from school, everything is taught much faster because you're expected to practise what you learnt outside lectures (and they don't even set homework so you don't really know where to find the relevant questions :frown:).
Reply 4
On the flip side, you might have more money in your account than you've ever had before (it's still a loan but you tend to forget that lol)

If that ends up happening then don't feel guilty about spending a little bit of it but don't go mad, keep reminding yourself that this isn't technically your own money. I never had that 'broke uni student' experience at all because of the type of loan I had, but I still tried to save money wherever I could because I'm stingy by nature. So I'd say try to keep that mentality at uni, even if you're not technically broke at all.
Reply 5
Original post by MajorFader
That nobody tells you anything lol. You have to find out yourself...

And you’ll find that out yourself.

That's definitely true!
Original post by mnot
It goes way too fast (much faster than school college).

Imo the best bit of the academic year are the 2/3 weeks immediately after uni has finished but no one has moved out yet.

It’s nothing like school, you are far more independent and have more responsibility, also the way you get taught is very different.

How is the teaching different?
Student finance money is never enough so it's best to find a part-time job.

Get a student overdraft account for emergencies.

Class A drugs use are very common amongst students, don't be surprised when you see someone popping a line at a house party.

Relationships at uni are based on conveniences don't expect them to last long.

Google/Youtube will become your best friends some courses only provide limited resources.
How is the teaching different?

It doesn’t really compare you don’t have teachers you have lecturers, the way education is delivered is fundamentally different.

If you don't fit the social aesthetic, you will be made a pariah.
Just because you were good at A-level, means ****

Spoiler

It’s important to find a good place to use plugs. Know your plug access points!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Just because you were good at A-level, means ****

Spoiler

Ouuuch.
You have to take responsibility for your own learning.

Lectures only tell you the 'highlights' - you need to take the time and effort to look into things in more depth independently. You need to be doing at least an hour of study for every hour of lectures you have.

You'll get more out of seminars if you actually prepare/do the reading for them.

Get into the habit of starting your assignments (or at least reading for them) as soon as they are set. Don't leave them until the last minute.
1) Don't even attempt to make proper notes in lectures unless you know short-hand or are blessed with lightning speed typing or writing.
2) University brochure pictures of students are 95% staged (literally never happens what you see)
3) At uni fashion is less of a priority, practicality is more important. Dump the designer shoulder bag and get a decent sized backpack.
4) The only people you'll find in the library at 4am are either healthcare students on night-shift placements who don't want to sleep so not to screw their body clocks or those who are doing an all nighter because they have a deadline they've left to the last minute.
5) When working in the library with your laptop always make sure you A) know where the nearest plug socket is, B) your within reach of said plug socket, and C) you always shut and lock your laptop when your leave it for any period of time (even if left with friends) plagiarism could mean the end of university for you.
Circuit laundry is absolutely useless
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
1) Don't even attempt to make proper notes in lectures unless you know short-hand or are blessed with lightning speed typing or writing.
2) University brochure pictures of students are 95% staged (literally never happens what you see)
3) At uni fashion is less of a priority, practicality is more important. Dump the designer shoulder bag and get a decent sized backpack.
4) The only people you'll find in the library at 4am are either healthcare students on night-shift placements who don't want to sleep so not to screw their body clocks or those who are doing an all nighter because they have a deadline they've left to the last minute.
5) When working in the library with your laptop always make sure you A) know where the nearest plug socket is, B) your within reach of said plug socket, and C) you always shut and lock your laptop when your leave it for any period of time (even if left with friends) plagiarism could mean the end of university for you.

That bit about the backpack is key.

I always see freshers with stylish bags which are killing their shoulders.

Get a bag which can hold: notepads, laptop, lunch & a jacket. And has a decent strap.

Original post by CoolCavy
Circuit laundry is absolutely useless

Another gem OP, Laundry in halls is expensive!
Original post by mnot
Another gem OP, Laundry in halls is expensive!

Haha, can also confirm about the backpack/bags. I haven't worn a backpack since I was in year 6 but now I will only wear them and constantly wonder where they have been all my life 😂
Be picky about the people you move out with. I was good friends with two guys and a third chap wanted to join our house. We were too relaxed and let him join. He was a nightmare - high all the time and never did anything around the house; even resented paying his share of the bills. Ruined it for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending