The Student Room Group

Does eating only one big (unhealthy) meal a day make you lose weight

Its me again asking questions about how to lose wight (surprise surprise).
But as the title says, if you eat only one big meal a day (like a big bowl of pasta or something) and not eat anything else (no snacks, no other food) make you lose weight? Asking for a friend!! Jkjk

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're in a deficit, yes.
Yh its the best way imo. I try not eat till like 6pm and then have one big meal probably around 1100 calories and then thats it for the day. Lost 10kg since lockdown through that way :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gtty123
If you're in a deficit, yes.

It actually helps in losing weight?? because im scared its going to make me gain weight instead of lose since im eating unhealthy food
If it did make you lose weight, it wouldn't be in a healthy way.
If you want to lose weight, just eat healthy and get regular exercise. Binging and fasting is not good for you.
Reply 5
Original post by Hannah0505
It actually helps in losing weight?? because im scared its going to make me gain weight instead of lose since im eating unhealthy food

No, you won't gain weight if you're in a deficit, even with 'unhealthy foods'.
As the user above said, eating healthily (getting all the food groups in the right proportions), and exercising is the safest way to to lose weight (especially when you’re young)
Reply 7
Original post by remussjhj01
If it did make you lose weight, it wouldn't be in a healthy way.
If you want to lose weight, just eat healthy and get regular exercise. Binging and fasting is not good for you.

someone in my family has covid 19 and i cant get out the house, and my house is so small and i cant do any exercises that actually work or buy any equipment. also eating healthy food makes me scared ill gain weight since im eating alot of it and i end up not eating anything
Reply 8
Original post by laurawatt
As the user above said, eating healthily (getting all the food groups in the right proportions), and exercising is the safest way to to lose weight (especially when you’re young)

I'll try doing that even though its very hard for me to do so
No, Your body will simply hold onto the bad food for longer.
Original post by Anonymous
Yh its the best way imo. I try not eat till like 6pm and then have one big meal probably around 1100 calories and then thats it for the day. Lost 10kg since lockdown through that way :smile:

No, it's not the "best way". Don't make ridiculous claims. It may have worked for you, but from a health perspective, it's not healthy and beneficial (for long term).
Original post by StriderHort

Are you saying, OP wouldn't lose weight in a deficit?
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification
someone in my family has covid 19 and i cant get out the house, and my house is so small and i cant do any exercises that actually work or buy any equipment. also eating healthy food makes me scared ill gain weight since im eating alot of it and i end up not eating anything

Well they're not going to have covid forever. When they're better, start getting regular exercise (I'd say 4 times a week at least). Have 3 meals and maybe a snack in the biggest gap between meals (probably the afternoon, but could also be the morning).
It is not healthy to just have one massive meal per day.
Gaining weight is just down to more calories consumed than burned. It doesn't matter whether it is 'healthy' food or unhealthy.
On the other hand, not eating a healthy balanced diet will lead to bad skin, spots, lank hair, weak nails and all sorts of other issues. You don't need a lot of space to exercise- grab a couple of cans of beans for arm exercises, squats are done on the spot, a t towel held taut while doing vertical rowing/arm raises is very effective. Stop looking for excuses to eat poorly and start thinking of creative ways to eat well and move more.
Original post by StriderHort

what if you do it for a short period of time
Why are you so hell bent on losing weight when you don't need to?
Thanks for the clarification

Don't listen to them seriously, it IS NOT HEALTHY. It's borderline eating disorder behaviour. If you were throwing the food up it would basically be bulimia.
Your body is going through a lot and you should really aim to have a balanced diet. Would your mum not say something if you started to eat like that?
Original post by YaliaV
Your body is going through a lot and you should really aim to have a balanced diet. Would your mum not say something if you started to eat like that?

she would only care because im wasting the food she made, otherwise she wouldnt say anything

Quick Reply

Latest