The Student Room Group

Need advice, housemate doing drugs.

First of, I'm not involved with the person doing drugs and either are the rest of the household. He was a long time friend and me and my other housemate had known him for over 7 years. We moved into a house the start of September 2019 and none of the housemates, me included knew about his drugs. First he started doing weed and it's 1st year of uni... We thought it was normal.

Now, it's July and he's doing Class A drugs such as mushrooms, LSD and allegedly, cocaine. In addiction to taking drugs, he has started dealing too. Me and my other housemates are concerned of our safety and we don't know what to do.

We thought about calling the police because we, ourselves have no involvement with him and his drugs, however, he's started to put his drug related items in the communal fridge, like syringes and test reagent for LSD and we don't want to get in trouble for his addiction.

We have tried to talk to him, but he refuses to listen to us and it's to the point that no one feels safe in the house.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tell him it’s got to stop or you’ll report it to the Police. Hopefully that will waken him up.
I mean if he keeps a reagent test kit in the fridge to test LSD so he can take it privately, it really isn't that bad and you're completely overthinking it. If he decides to take class A drugs by himself, I don't think you should report him. I mean the police wouldn't do anything in such a situation anyway. There's a lot of stigma behind the types of people who might take cocaine, LSD or Ecstasy once in a while, but let's be honest, it really isn't that bad much like alcohol isn't in moderation for the recreational trade-off.

The syringes and drug dealing do draw a line though. There's a fine line between personal moderate consumption and injections/dealing. That gets into the seriously bad territory and I would have word with him on his actions. Did you sign a joint tenancy?
Reply 3
Speak to the police. The last thing you want is someone following him from wherever he's been dealing back to yours, to pick a fight over drugs or debt. If you explain about the items in the fridge, it's not going to implicate anyone else.

It's that, or you contact the landlord or letting agent.
Reply 4
I'll explain further, he's been doing weed on and off around September. Around November, he has constantly been smoking literally every waking hour of the day. It stinks up the house and no matter how much we air out the house, when we invite our friends over, they can smell it. The landlord's agent really isn't happy either, as currently, work is being done on the entire house. At first, none of us really were bothered, until he decided to continuously invite his friends over until 2am blasting music (literally until we knock on his door to tell them to leave).

There has been moments where we've knocked on his door and there wouldn't be an answer, attempt to sleep through everything and wait until the next morning to him saying, "Sorry, I was tripping. Couldn't hear you". We thought it was occasionally that he was taking LSD, but it's every couple of days when his weed high isn't strong enough for him.

Honestly, he's smoked so much in a short amount of time, that he has built an immunity to the "high" feeling of weed and he would stop smoking for like a day and get withdrawals and takes his anger out on everyone. The problem is, yes I've known him for ages and what he does in his spare time is his problem. We've all tried to talk to him, but he just doesn't get the message.

Mushrooms are another thing he's doing and he has started growing in his room... He's even said that he was planning on selling them to a dealer.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'll explain further, he's been doing weed on and off around September. Around November, he has constantly been smoking literally every waking hour of the day. It stinks up the house and no matter how much we air out the house, when we invite our friends over, they can smell it. The landlord's agent really isn't happy either, as currently, work is being done on the entire house. At first, none of us really were bothered, until he decided to continuously invite his friends over until 2am blasting music (literally until we knock on his door to tell them to leave).

There has been moments where we've knocked on his door and there wouldn't be an answer, attempt to sleep through everything and wait until the next morning to him saying, "Sorry, I was tripping. Couldn't hear you". We thought it was occasionally that he was taking LSD, but it's every couple of days when his weed high isn't strong enough for him.

Honestly, he's smoked so much in a short amount of time, that he has built an immunity to the "high" feeling of weed and he would stop smoking for like a day and get withdrawals and takes his anger out on everyone. The problem is, yes I've known him for ages and what he does in his spare time is his problem. We've all tried to talk to him, but he just doesn't get the message.

Mushrooms are another thing he's doing and he has started growing in his room... He's even said that he was planning on selling them to a dealer.

When I mean dealing, I meant selling to a dealer, but our concern is... What if he sold them to the dealer and they weren't happy with whatever, because I REALLY doubt he went somewhere else to give the stuff to the dealer... Which means, our house is going to be known as a drug den basically.
Original post by Khanthebrit
I mean if he keeps a reagent test kit in the fridge to test LSD so he can take it privately, it really isn't that bad and you're completely overthinking it. If he decides to take class A drugs by himself, I don't think you should report him. I mean the police wouldn't do anything in such a situation anyway. There's a lot of stigma behind the types of people who might take cocaine, LSD or Ecstasy once in a while, but let's be honest, it really isn't that bad much like alcohol isn't in moderation for the recreational trade-off.

The syringes and drug dealing do draw a line though. There's a fine line between personal moderate consumption and injections/dealing. That gets into the seriously bad territory and I would have word with him on his actions. Did you sign a joint tenancy?

I wouldn’t be happy with drug paraphernalia in the communal fridge, even if it was just for personal use.

You should definitely act OP because things are probably going to get worse if you don’t. I wouldn’t worry about ruining the friendship because he obviously doesn’t care about you and it sounds like he needs an intervention anyway.
Reply 7
You better speak up.

By keeping silent, you and your roommates are essentially acting as an "accessory". Meaning, someone who learns of a crime before or after it is committed and helps the criminal to conceal it (whether purposefully done or not), or aids the criminal in escaping, or simply fails to report the crime.

Should the police find a trail with your roommate, and find that it leads back to your house, then question you all and found out you all knew without saying anything previously when you had the chance, you all would be marked as "accessories".

Anyways, as you know and have stated LSD, cocaine, and mushroom is illegal in the UK and is a classed as a category A drug. You knowing this and not saying anything, plus with the length of time that it has been going on for, should your roommate ever decide to officially start selling and get caught, you all are going down with him and may potentially get charged.

BASICALLY, speak now and keep your clean slate ..or forever hold your peace and suffer the consequences if found out.
Reply 8
I'd reccommend confronting him before going to the police to be honest. Having him jailed being one hell of an escalation..
Reply 9
Original post by Yolz121
You better speak up.

By keeping silent, you and your roommates are essentially acting as an "accessory". Meaning, someone who learns of a crime before or after it is committed and helps the criminal to conceal it (whether purposefully done or not), or aids the criminal in escaping, or simply fails to report the crime.

Should the police find a trail with your roommate, and find that it leads back to your house, then question you all and found out you all knew without saying anything previously when you had the chance, you all would be marked as "accessories".

Anyways, as you know and have stated LSD, cocaine, and mushroom is illegal in the UK and is a classed as a category A drug. You knowing this and not saying anything, plus with the length of time that it has been going on for, should your roommate ever decide to officially start selling and get caught, you all are going down with him and may potentially get charged.

BASICALLY, speak now and keep your clean slate ..or forever hold your peace and suffer the consequences if found out.

There is no law that says not reporting a crime makes you an accessory..?
Reply 10
You could join him :colone:

Joking aside, tell him to knock it off or to take his drugs elsewhere. If he doesnt do anything, then Id report it to the police.
Original post by Napp
There is no law that says not reporting a crime makes you an accessory..?

No, but them knowing that the roommate is doing this and being "compliant" by staying silent would likely label them as an accessory.
Reply 12
Original post by Yolz121
No, but them knowing that the roommate is doing this and being "compliant" by staying silent would likely label them as an accessory.

Sounds more like an american law than British.
i mean, they could potentially be done for letting their home be used in a criminal enterprise but that is rather different.
You say your landlord isn’t happy, have they said they will do anything about it? There may be a clause in the contract referring to using drugs in the property which your housemate may be in breach of.

As others have said, involving the police is a huge escalation, but I wouldn’t be happy about the constant late nights or the drug paraphernalia in the communal fridge. I’ve no huge issue about recreational use of drugs, but when you live in a shared house have a bit of consideration for those who you live with. At the moment it sounds like he’s taking the piss, which is unfair on those of you who have to live around it.
Put it this way, if the residence ever got raided, you would all b arrested under suspicion anyway, at least until your interviews where you could all name him. Whilst you might not be prosecuted, the arrests for the different classes of drug, if you're telling me he has class A and B, possession and PWITS, which are different crimes, will remain on your record and will be disclosed in CRB checks will which heavily effect employers opinions of you, whether you like it or not. You may want to deal with this before a rival dealer name drops him to the Police.
Original post by YaliaV
I wouldn’t be happy with drug paraphernalia in the communal fridge, even if it was just for personal use.

You should definitely act OP because things are probably going to get worse if you don’t. I wouldn’t worry about ruining the friendship because he obviously doesn’t care about you and it sounds like he needs an intervention anyway.

Have to respectfully disagree for something as trivial as a tiny little reagent test kit that can be stored out of site safely in the fridge. In the OP's case it is a little different. Why derail perhaps what is good friendship though and have to suffer bad tensions and vibes throughout the year for something as small as a reagent test kit? Save yourself from the pain of something created by something trivial. The person in question with such a kit is being responsible by ensuring what they have is safe. In such a situation I'd say the other person is being completely unreasonable. You make life 10x harder on yourself for a problem which really isn't a problem.

Of course, in the OPs situation this isn't just that and he should certainly do something.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Khanthebrit
Have to respectfully disagree for something as trivial as a tiny little reagent test kit that can be stored out of site safely in the fridge. In the OP's case it is a little different. Why derail perhaps what is good friendship though and have to suffer bad tensions and vibes throughout the year for something as small as a reagent test kit? Save yourself from the pain of something created by something trivial. The person in question with such a kit is being responsible by ensuring what they have is safe. In such a situation I'd say the other person is being completely unreasonable.

Of course, in the OPs situation this isn't just that and he should certainly do something.

I don’t know much about drugs and they scare me, so it’s a personal thing. I wouldn’t report him for personal use, but I would be nervous about being implicated. I hope everything works out for the OP and I hope his friend receives some help.
First of, I'm not involved with the person doing drugs and either are the rest of the household. He was a long time friend and me and my other housemate had known him for over 7 years. We moved into a house the start of September 2019 and none of the housemates, me included knew about his drugs. First he started doing weed and it's 1st year of uni... We thought it was normal.

Now, it's July and he's doing Class A drugs such as mushrooms, LSD and allegedly, cocaine. In addiction to taking drugs, he has started dealing too. Me and my other housemates are concerned of our safety and we don't know what to do.

We thought about calling the police because we, ourselves have no involvement with him and his drugs, however, he's started to put his drug related items in the communal fridge, like syringes and test reagent for LSD and we don't want to get in trouble for his addiction.

We have tried to talk to him, but he refuses to listen to us and it's to the point that no one feels safe in the house.

I would say buy some narcan and just be there for him when he needs it for now.

dont be a snitch, let em do drugs n mind your own biz
Reply 19
I would say buy some narcan and just be there for him when he needs it for now.

Not sure how narcan would help with any of the drugs the op listed..?

Quick Reply

Latest