The Student Room Group

Reference issue

Hi,I am 22 and was looking to apply to uni this year via clearing. Late decision but one nonetheless that I was really wanting to do. I asked my most recent manager to provide a reference which he was happy to do, but upon using UCAS' form, he felt uncomfortable completing it due to lack of academic knowledge with regards to me.I've also contacted my school but they are closed due to Covid.I felt really f'ed off so left it until this week where A-levels gave me a surge to see if there's anything I can do.Is my only option to call my preferred uni (Only one which has the course I desire) and explain, and subsequently hope. Or would I have to Wolf of wall street and fabricate my own reference and then hope they don't contact 'them'?Thanks.
Original post by bridgesm
Hi,I am 22 and was looking to apply to uni this year via clearing. Late decision but one nonetheless that I was really wanting to do. I asked my most recent manager to provide a reference which he was happy to do, but upon using UCAS' form, he felt uncomfortable completing it due to lack of academic knowledge with regards to me.I've also contacted my school but they are closed due to Covid.I felt really f'ed off so left it until this week where A-levels gave me a surge to see if there's anything I can do.Is my only option to call my preferred uni (Only one which has the course I desire) and explain, and subsequently hope. Or would I have to Wolf of wall street and fabricate my own reference and then hope they don't contact 'them'?Thanks.

Your manager's reference would be fine as one of your references, as he could talk about any transferrable skills (timekeeping etc), but most unis also like to see an academic reference. Do you have any of your teachers' emails? You could try explaining to your uni, but probably do not put much hope into that I'm afraid :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
Your manager's reference would be fine as one of your references, as he could talk about any transferrable skills (timekeeping etc), but most unis also like to see an academic reference. Do you have any of your teachers' emails? You could try explaining to your uni, but probably do not put much hope into that I'm afraid :frown:

Hi,
Sadly I don't have any form of contact with them. And with my manager, I did try to explain that its not key and I'd supply any information he'd need, but he still rejected.
Original post by bridgesm
Hi,
Sadly I don't have any form of contact with them. And with my manager, I did try to explain that its not key and I'd supply any information he'd need, but he still rejected.

Going to tag in @PQ (sorry for the random tag!) to see if they can help more :smile:
Your school should have staff in this week - ring them up and ask if they can provide you with a reference

Alternatively do you have any family friends who are in professional occupations (teacher, lawyer, doctor, nurse, social worker etc) who would provide you with a character reference?
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
Going to tag in @PQ (sorry for the random tag!) to see if they can help more :smile:

Thanking you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending