The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Lamb is a very fatty meat.

A lot of cheese/butter in the potatoes would be unhealthy.

But I would say as a whole it's certainly not the worst thing you could be eating. Delicious too! :biggrin:
As with all thing, it can be healthy when eaten Iin moderation within a healthy diet.
It can be incorporated into a balanced diet.
Original post by Repeater
Lamb is a very fatty meat.

A lot of cheese/butter in the potatoes would be unhealthy.

But I would say as a whole it's certainly not the worst thing you could be eating. Delicious too! :biggrin:

there’s one similar called cumberland pie which is beef instead would that be better? i eat this like 3 times a week
Original post by Sksjsjsjdksj
there’s one similar called cumberland pie which is beef instead would that be better? i eat this like 3 times a week

Isn't that cottage pie with beef?
i eat it a lot and it is low carb (5.1g carbs)

Red meat and potato isn't, but is fine in moderation, if with added vegetables. In general, processed food is less healthy - often high in sugar, salt and / or fat, with numbers based on unrealistically small serving sizes. cooking your own food ensures that you know exactly what is in it.

Low carb (/ ketogenic) diets are a fad, and can be dangerous for some people. The science is to eat a calorie-controlled, balanced diet, not restrict (unprocessed) food groups. Typical advice would be to reduce added sugar and refined (simple) carbohydrates, and to increase complex carbs (e.g. wholewheat) and vegetables.
Reply 7

Oh I thought you were making it yourself. I would recommend making it rather than eating ready meals. From 500g minced lamb you can make 3 or 4 meals once padded out with veggies. It'll taste a lot better too.
Reply 8
i eat it a lot and it is low carb (5.1g carbs)

If it's a ready meal, then it's not the healthiest option.
If it's homemade then it is likely to be more healthy, but it depends if you are having it as part of a balanced diet. If your other meals are chips and sausages then that's not great, but if your other meals are salads and vegetable soups then that's much better.
Even if it's homemade, it's still not the healthiest option, especially if you have it with meat.
If you put lots of vegetables in the actual pie, and also have a side of vegetables, that would make it healthier.
You could also try making it with lentils, I do that cause I don't eat meat. It's still really good.
However, eating anything/any meal 3 times a week isn't really healthy. You do need to have a more balanced diet. Maybe try learning some new recipes?
Original post by Repeater
Oh I thought you were making it yourself. I would recommend making it rather than eating ready meals. From 500g minced lamb you can make 3 or 4 meals once padded out with veggies. It'll taste a lot better too.

Some ready meals are low in calories tho

Latest