The Student Room Group

Family won’t let me eat my dinner alone

They make me eat it with them but I don’t like it because they are too loud and just waffle on about **** and argue. I just want to eat on my own in my bedroom or in a separate room like every normal person is allowed to. Also when my dinner is ready I get shouted across the house at. I just want to eat alone.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
They make me eat it with them but I don’t like it because they are too loud and just waffle on about **** and argue. I just want to eat on my own in my bedroom or in a separate room like every normal person is allowed to. Also when my dinner is ready I get shouted across the house at. I just want to eat alone.

What do you mean by ‘argue’?

My parents make me eat with them and I understand why. It’s probably the only time we see each other together and gives us time to catch up on the day.
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
What do you mean by ‘argue’?

My parents make me eat with them and I understand why. It’s probably the only time we see each other together and gives us time to catch up on the day.

They just argue like shouting at each other.
Me and my family see each other all the time though
Make your own dinner and eat it when you want. Eating in a separate room to your family is not a normal thing to do though.
First world problems...

Ah, I see. If their arguing gets too much, I suggest you talk about it with another family member or someone you can trust. :smile:

If you don’t want to eat with them, perhaps do what black tea suggested.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Make your own dinner and eat it when you want. Eating in a separate room to your family is not a normal thing to do though.

I’m not allowed to make my own dinner
Reply 7
Eating as a family sounds like a sociable thing to so I don't think 'normal people' all get to eat in separate rooms. Is there another reason you want to eat by yourself? Are your family concerned with your weight.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Eating as a family sounds like a sociable thing to so I don't think 'normal people' all get to eat in separate rooms. Is there another reason you want to eat by yourself? Are your family concerned with your weight.

They are just annoying and maybe when you are younger it’s normal but when you are 17,18,19,20 like me it’s less common because my mates don’t eat as a family and some of them don’t even live as a family. I just don’t like doing stuff as family
Reply 9
Original post by 5hyl33n
Ah, I see. If their arguing gets too much, I suggest you talk about it with another family member or someone you can trust. :smile:

If you don’t want to eat with them, perhaps do what black tea suggested.

I’m not allowed to make my own dinner
They are just annoying and maybe when you are younger it’s normal but when you are 17,18,19,20 like me it’s less common because my mates don’t eat as a family and some of them don’t even live as a family. I just don’t like doing stuff as family

If you are that age, you are old enough to move out if you are not happy with things at home.

My parents make me eat with them as well and its real annoying cus all they do is talk and talk and talk.
are u allowed to make food urself? - if so it may be a good idea to eat when they arent around or if ur not allowed to cook food u could always try and sneak food into ur bedroom and eat there
Original post by black tea
If you are that age, you are old enough to move out if you are not happy with things at home.

I want to but don’t have enough money it’s expensive and I doubt people move out at my age unless it’s for uni or Marcus Rashford but I think he might have still lived at home at 18 because he only just was coming onto the scenes and when he made his debut I don’t even think he was getting as much as he gets now
Original post by 𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
My parents make me eat with them as well and its real annoying cus all they do is talk and talk and talk.
are u allowed to make food urself? - if so it may be a good idea to eat when they arent around or if ur not allowed to cook food u could always try and sneak food into ur bedroom and eat there

I’m not allowed to eat myself that’s what I’m on about here
I want to but don’t have enough money it’s expensive and I doubt people move out at my age unless it’s for uni or Marcus Rashford but I think he might have still lived at home at 18 because he only just was coming onto the scenes and when he made his debut I don’t even think he was getting as much as he gets now

So accept the house rules and save up money so you can move out. You are an adult and you have your meals cooked for you still - listening to your family talk is not a big price to pay.
Buying a house is expensive, are you working? Why not look for cheap apartments or something to rent, I don't really know how that housing stuff works but maybe you could live in a share house with a mate idk I heard those are cheap compared to buying a house since you split the rent and bills with others
I’m not allowed to eat myself that’s what I’m on about here

i thinkur best bet is to tell ur family how u feel tbh - I told my mum it frustrates me when I eat with my family as all they do is talk and she understood that so maybe if u tell ur family how u feel then it could help with ur situation
Reply 17

Don't most people eat at a computer or something now?
Original post by Bio 7
Don't most people eat at a computer or something now?

No
I just start doing the dishes while they are talking so that I don't have to waste hours at the dinner table, and their pretty happy with it too bc that way they don't have to do dishes and I get to leave early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending