The Student Room Group

pregnancy in Y13 - help!

hey,
so some time ago I did a pregnancy test and it turnt out positive saying I was pregnant, I saw a doctor and now I know it's 12th week so the due date is around the beginning of May.
I didn't plan pregnancy obviously, so far I have only told my boyfriend (the father) and one of my friends since we live together (I study in a different city than my family home) and she noticed something was wrong.
I already made my mind up to give birth since I don't think I would be able to do abortion, but I'm not yet sure if I will decide to actually bring the child up or give for adoption.

and here comes the problem, I kind of settled around the idea that I'm pregnant and planning to tell my parents in a few days, they'll probably be extremely angry, but that's the only option.

and so, what is bothering me now is the sixth form and final IB exams (which I'm taking) which apparently happen in May, instead of June as A levels, cause otherwise I would still have some time to recover and revise.
do you think this is manageable to do the Y13 (especially IB) being pregnant? has anyone done this and can share the experience? what are the options I can consider? I honestly have no idea and I know my parents will ask me what I'm planning to do when we sit to talk about it.

I would really be grateful for any kind of advice and help, thank you

TPWK

Scroll to see replies

Heyy ok so im a guy so idk how valid my help will be but why not contact the exam boards via teachers and stuff. That way they make take your case leniently and this may allow some ease with your exams. My friend had the same case last year so im just using what she did aha
Yeah you could get extra time or something if they know about it. Good luck with everything and I hope the baby is healthy!
Original post by TPWK0102
hey,
so some time ago I did a pregnancy test and it turnt out positive saying I was pregnant, I saw a doctor and now I know it's 12th week so the due date is around the beginning of May.
I didn't plan pregnancy obviously, so far I have only told my boyfriend (the father) and one of my friends since we live together (I study in a different city than my family home) and she noticed something was wrong.
I already made my mind up to give birth since I don't think I would be able to do abortion, but I'm not yet sure if I will decide to actually bring the child up or give for adoption.

and here comes the problem, I kind of settled around the idea that I'm pregnant and planning to tell my parents in a few days, they'll probably be extremely angry, but that's the only option.

and so, what is bothering me now is the sixth form and final IB exams (which I'm taking) which apparently happen in May, instead of June as A levels, cause otherwise I would still have some time to recover and revise.
do you think this is manageable to do the Y13 (especially IB) being pregnant? has anyone done this and can share the experience? what are the options I can consider? I honestly have no idea and I know my parents will ask me what I'm planning to do when we sit to talk about it.

TPWK

well ive never been through it haha but im sure schools will be fine about it and let you have extra time. it'll be fine im sure. congrats anyway and hopefully the baby's healthy. raising a baby is incredibly rewarding but difficult and i know from a friend of mine how amazing adoption was for her so good luck either way!
Congratulations. One of my friends managed to have a baby at the same time as doing her masters - she still managed a merit. Was doing some coursework while sat in her hospital bed being induced.

Quite dooable, just keep focused.
Reply 5
Original post by tbi_zlx
Heyy ok so im a guy so idk how valid my help will be but why not contact the exam boards via teachers and stuff. That way they make take your case leniently and this may allow some ease with your exams. My friend had the same case last year so im just using what she did aha

I don't know if that's gonna work with the IB, they aren't lenient generally, I've heard of people who had to drop out since they had some disabiity/illness and couldn't do CAS, the sports activities
but I'm gonna try when I tell my teachers, thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by SmartUnicorn
Yeah you could get extra time or something if they know about it. Good luck with everything and I hope the baby is healthy!

Original post by Anonymous
well ive never been through it haha but im sure schools will be fine about it and let you have extra time. it'll be fine im sure. congrats anyway and hopefully the baby's healthy. raising a baby is incredibly rewarding but difficult and i know from a friend of mine how amazing adoption was for her so good luck either way!

thank you so much!!
you can't even imagine how grateful I am for all those kind words!
Reply 7
Original post by Apachecow
Congratulations. One of my friends managed to have a baby at the same time as doing her masters - she still managed a merit. Was doing some coursework while sat in her hospital bed being induced.

Quite dooable, just keep focused.

wow, that's great - really reassured me, thank you!
Reply 8
also, if anyone knows this one, I'd be even more grateful, I've already applied to unis by the 15th October deadline (for medicine) and (if everything goes fine) I want to go to uni next year (or defer if that is possible), but I'm wondering, will unis know about the pregnancy, like if I don't tell them directly? it might sound stupid, but does this decrease my chances or anything?
hey,

TPWK

I hope everything goes well with your parents. My mum had me when she was 19, and at first her own mum was furious, but by the time I came along they couldn't wait to welcome me into the family, so don't worry if it takes a while! I'm sure they'll come round.

As for exams, I'm sure that you could qualify for some sort of special consideration (maybe extra time?) if you can let your sixth form know the situation.

Kudos to you for your decision, and I wish you the best of luck.
They can't discriminate because of pregnancy. The only way they would find out is if you applied for special consideration in exams
hey,

TPWK

Hi there,
Congratulations, hope you are doing well! Great decision to keep the child and not abort. With exams I honestly think it truly depends on you, I suggest revising throughout the year (at least starting from now) doing as much revision after school as possible (at least 3-4 hr after school and defo more on Saturday, give yourself a break on Sundays). Just have a plan on exactly how much you need to cover per month/per week/ per day to be on track to finish the whole content + past papers -- taking out the few weeks/ days for birth and recovery. So if you start now, I am sure you will be able to manage it, without having the need to dropout. Also, you do have the advantage this year of exams pushed back a couple of weeks later... All the best and hope everything goes well!
also, if anyone knows this one, I'd be even more grateful, I've already applied to unis by the 15th October deadline (for medicine) and (if everything goes fine) I want to go to uni next year (or defer if that is possible), but I'm wondering, will unis know about the pregnancy, like if I don't tell them directly? it might sound stupid, but does this decrease my chances or anything?

They can't discriminate,either for pregnancy or deferred entry, and they won't know unless you tell them (unless you're visibly pregnant at interview, but online interviews this year probably make that less of an issue.

Once you have an offer you will probably want to let them know either to explain a deferral and/or access support at uni.
Reply 13
Original post by ashton23
I hope everything goes well with your parents. My mum had me when she was 19, and at first her own mum was furious, but by the time I came along they couldn't wait to welcome me into the family, so don't worry if it takes a while! I'm sure they'll come round.

As for exams, I'm sure that you could qualify for some sort of special consideration (maybe extra time?) if you can let your sixth form know the situation.

Kudos to you for your decision, and I wish you the best of luck.

thank you so much!
Reply 14
Original post by Apachecow
They can't discriminate because of pregnancy. The only way they would find out is if you applied for special consideration in exams

Original post by becausethenight
They can't discriminate,either for pregnancy or deferred entry, and they won't know unless you tell them (unless you're visibly pregnant at interview, but online interviews this year probably make that less of an issue.

Once you have an offer you will probably want to let them know either to explain a deferral and/or access support at uni.

okay, that makes sense, I was just worried so much about everything, hence all those (probably stupid) questions, thank you!
hey,

TPWK

There are IB changes which I hope you are aware of?

https://www.ibo.org/globalassets/programme-information/dp/overview_of_adaptations_for_m21_session_for_the_diploma_and_career_related_programmes_final_11082020.pdf
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,
Congratulations, hope you are doing well! Great decision to keep the child and not abort. With exams I honestly think it truly depends on you, I suggest revising throughout the year (at least starting from now) doing as much revision after school as possible (at least 3-4 hr after school and defo more on Saturday, give yourself a break on Sundays). Just have a plan on exactly how much you need to cover per month/per week/ per day to be on track to finish the whole content + past papers -- taking out the few weeks/ days for birth and recovery. So if you start now, I am sure you will be able to manage it, without having the need to dropout. Also, you do have the advantage this year of exams pushed back a couple of weeks later... All the best and hope everything goes well!

thank you!
I'll try to start the revision soon in order to still perform okayish on exams despite the situation, but I've not been too well physically, due to some symptoms, but hopefully they'll get better soon (really hoping cause otherwise... :frown:)
Reply 17

yes, obviously I'm aware of, this doesn't change the fact that the exams are in may, thanks, though
yes, obviously I'm aware of, this doesn't change the fact that the exams are in may, thanks, though

There are fewer though - have you got a due date?
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
There are fewer though - have you got a due date?

it's said to be the 5th of May, so a day before my first exam which is Maths :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending