The Student Room Group

Do you think teachers want to return back to school?

Or would they want to work from home instead especially during this second wave?

Does it make sense to say to someone who is a teacher 'im sorry you're still having to go back to school but just stay safe'.

Any better way to put it?

Thanks!
Reply 1
It probably depends on the teacher. I dont think many would be thrilled.

Why not talk to them about how they're feeling about the whole thing? Saying 'just stay safe' sounds a bit insensitive imo.
I'm a teacher and I would much rather be at school than at home
Reply 3
i know most of my teachers prefer teaching in school, but i'm pretty sure teaching unions are trying to get schools closed so i imagine that your response would be appropriate!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Or would they want to work from home instead especially during this second wave?

Does it make sense to say to someone who is a teacher 'im sorry you're still having to go back to school but just stay safe'.

Any better way to put it?

Thanks!

If they have any doubts about teaching there’s a letter they can give to their head teacher and a place they can go after submitting that letter. It’s called “The Job Centre”. There they will be made to find work without any breaks or holidays and proper work for at least 50 weeks of the year not with 15 weeks paid holiday.
(Oh btw and they might not get any money when they go to the Job centre...having quit their teaching job but there will certainly be a huge “Welcome to the real world of work” )

They ought to try it. Working for a living that is.
Original post by jedygety
I'm a teacher and I would much rather be at school than at home

Glad to hear it! You have your pupils best interests a heart and commitment. Thats what makes a good teacher! We need more teachers like this.
It varies. Some teachers may resent it. Others will embrace it.
If they have any doubts about teaching there’s a letter they can give to their head teacher and a place they can go after submitting that letter. It’s called “The Job Centre”. There they will be made to find work without any breaks or holidays and proper work for at least 50 weeks of the year not with 15 weeks paid holiday.
(Oh btw and they might not get any money when they go to the Job centre...having quit their teaching job but there will certainly be a huge “Welcome to the real world of work” )

They ought to try it. Working for a living that is.

so you don't think teaching is proper work? and teachers don't work for a living?
Original post by tinygirl96
It varies. Some teachers may resent it. Others will embrace it.

And those who resent it should know where the Job centre is.
Original post by jedygety
so you don't think teaching is proper work? and teachers don't work for a living?

They get a lot of holidays and still moan. There are good teachers who appreciate what they have got and they deserve full respect and want all their pupils to do well.

Then there’s the TAs many of whom are bone idle. Half the lesson spent out of class to photocopy one page from a text book, sitting at the back of class filling their nails, texting etc. Interrupting the teacher when he or she’s speaking to the class.
Reply 10
As a teacher, my feelings are mixed on this. I think that schools not returning is a terrible idea - children need to be receiving an education and while my school's online provision was excellent, the same can't be said for every school sadly and many students lack computers/internet access exacerbating the gap between rich and poor students. I also think that if we're ever going to get the country going again, we have to start with schools. Until you get students back in school, parents will struggle to work and the economy won't get going. However, I do think more safety provisions will need to be put in place. A large number of schools have seen at least one bubble self-isolate as a result of a positive test so it's clear that current safety procedures aren't stringent enough. I'm not saying that we want a risk-free environment (no such thing exists), but that risk needs to be better managed. I'll be returning to work on Monday after half term. Am I nervous? Yeah I am, but equally it's important that my students receive the best education I can give them and so I recognise for that to happen, I have to be teaching in school. What I would say to students reading this thread is cut your teachers some slack here. The guidance changes all the time and we're going well beyond what many professions are expected to do to keep going. We're shattered essentially. Students complying with the guidance without arguing and a thank you to your teachers makes all the difference and just brightens our day. We get some of you may be scared, but equally know that we're nervous too, scared for our own families' safety, but we're putting that aside to give you the education you deserve.
They get a lot of holidays and still moan. There are good teachers who appreciate what they have got and they deserve full respect and want all their pupils to do well.

Then there’s the TAs many of whom are bone idle. Half the lesson spent out of class to photocopy one page from a text book, sitting at the back of class filling their nails, texting etc. Interrupting the teacher when he or she’s speaking to the class.

we are talking about teachers not TAs though. without the holidays teaching is not sustainable. plus, teachers still work through holidays.
Reply 12

Teach a fulltime timetable while also marking, doing lesson prep, parents evening, training, meetings, dealing with pastoral issues, making calls home etc. etc. Do that and then tell me we don't deserve the holidays we get! Wait, the holidays that aren't actually holidays because we're doing all of the above, minus the actual teaching.
Original post by A.Poet
As a teacher, my feelings are mixed on this. I think that schools not returning is a terrible idea - children need to be receiving an education and while my school's online provision was excellent, the same can't be said for every school sadly and many students lack computers/internet access exacerbating the gap between rich and poor students. I also think that if we're ever going to get the country going again, we have to start with schools. Until you get students back in school, parents will struggle to work and the economy won't get going. However, I do think more safety provisions will need to be put in place. A large number of schools have seen at least one bubble self-isolate as a result of a positive test so it's clear that current safety procedures aren't stringent enough. I'm not saying that we want a risk-free environment (no such thing exists), but that risk needs to be better managed. I'll be returning to work on Monday after half term. Am I nervous? Yeah I am, but equally it's important that my students receive the best education I can give them and so I recognise for that to happen, I have to be teaching in school. What I would say to students reading this thread is cut your teachers some slack here. The guidance changes all the time and we're going well beyond what many professions are expected to do to keep going. We're shattered essentially. Students complying with the guidance without arguing and a thank you to your teachers makes all the difference and just brightens our day. We get some of you may be scared, but equally know that we're nervous too, scared for our own families' safety, but we're putting that aside to give you the education you deserve.

Very well said!
Ofcourse it must be scary to return especially as we are now in the second wave of Covid!
And it must be scary knowing that most places are shutdown yet your work place is open, if only all students had laptops etc at home and that way teaching could be done at home like how most universities have moved onto remote learning!

That way children are getting their education and teachers are able to carry on with the job they enjoy without having to worry about safety and at the same time knowing their students are learning!
But sadly that's not possible for all schools, as not all children have access to such devices!

I really do admire teachers during this time! And as long as you stay safe and your school have provisions in place you should be okay.

Take care!
Original post by A.Poet
Teach a fulltime timetable while also marking, doing lesson prep, parents evening, training, meetings, dealing with pastoral issues, making calls home etc. etc. Do that and then tell me we don't deserve the holidays we get! Wait, the holidays that aren't actually holidays because we're doing all of the above, minus the actual teaching.

lol thanks for putting into words what I'm too tired to say (due to exhaustion from teaching!!)
Reply 15
Very well said!
Ofcourse it must be scary to return especially as we are now in the second wave of Covid!
And it must be scary knowing that most places are shutdown yet your work place is open, if only all students had laptops etc at home and that way teaching could be done at home like how most universities have moved onto remote learning!

That way children are getting their education and teachers are able to carry on with the job they enjoy without having to worry about safety and at the same time knowing their students are learning!
But sadly that's not possible for all schools, as not all children have access to such devices!

I really do admire teachers during this time! And as long as you stay safe and your school have provisions in place you should be okay.

Take care!

It feels odd more than scary I think. Last time, we were shut (barring for the children of key workers) so we were joining everyone else. Now we're not so it will feel odd. The thing is that remote teaching is even more tiring than face-to-face teaching and more hardwork so in reality, it's easier for me and my students to be in school. Plus have you tried getting a whole class to use technology at the same time? :rofl3:

I mean in my situation, my school has had several cases and two members of my family work in educational settings - we've pretty much accepted we're going to get it if we haven't had it asymptomatically already. I'd just let that sink in because that'll be the case for many other teachers - we're kinda accepting we're going to get ill :frown: That said, I've put it to the back of my mind as do my family members - no point worrying about something you have no control over.
Reply 16

I don't think it's fair to discredit anybody's job, particularly one you have never worked. Every job is a means to provide, and there are very few people who don't work hard or work with what they've got to at least make ends meet. Likewise, regardless of your opinion on workers such as TAs, it's completely unfair to categorise a whole job as not being proper, or being filled with 'bone idle' workers.
Original post by liv...
I don't think it's fair to discredit anybody's job, particularly one you have never worked. Every job is a means to provide, and there are very few people who don't work hard or work with what they've got to at least make ends meet. Likewise, regardless of your opinion on workers such as TAs, it's completely unfair to categorise a whole job as not being proper, or being filled with 'bone idle' workers.

I am certain there are good TAs even in the school I was at there were one or two polite dedicated TAs. But if was the other ones that were not so easy.
I remember my lever arch file spilled all over the corridor between lessons, my notes and paper work everywhere. The corridor was crowded. A TA came along and just walked over my papers as it was easier doing that than walking around the obstruction. It was actually a polite pupil who helped me pick the papers up.

Another day I saw a TAs bizarre scenic route between lessons. When a lesson ends TAs need to move on to their next class. On this day the next class was about 100 metres away straight down a corridor across a yard down some steps and into another building and into the class. But the route they took was far from that simple. It involved going in completely the wrong direction. Up to the top floor of the first building for a look out the window. Then a lengthy visit to the WC then another look out the window by then the next period had started. They then went back down and proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the grounds reaching their lesson 15 minutes late!

Then there were the inset days. Or coffee days as they might as well be called. Great stuff. The whispering and s******ing. Came back from break to staff room find my jacket crumpled on top of the waste bin as it was on the back of someone’s usual seat.

The older teachers are great and get along with the pupils well getting good results with lots of encouragement . They were the ones who got to school early and last to finish. You could have a good intelligent chat with them. Sadly most are nearing retirement age.
Reply 18
I am certain there are good TAs even in the school I was at there were one or two polite dedicated TAs. But if was the other ones that were not so easy.
I remember my lever arch file spilled all over the corridor between lessons, my notes and paper work everywhere. The corridor was crowded. A TA came along and just walked over my papers as it was easier doing that than walking around the obstruction. It was actually a polite pupil who helped me pick the papers up.

Another day I saw a TAs bizarre scenic route between lessons. When a lesson ends TAs need to move on to their next class. On this day the next class was about 100 metres away straight down a corridor across a yard down some steps and into another building and into the class. But the route they took was far from that simple. It involved going in completely the wrong direction. Up to the top floor of the first building for a look out the window. Then a lengthy visit to the WC then another look out the window by then the next period had started. They then went back down and proceeded to walk around the perimeter of the grounds reaching their lesson 15 minutes late!

Then there were the inset days. Or coffee days as they might as well be called. Great stuff. The whispering and s******ing. Came back from break to staff room find my jacket crumpled on top of the waste bin as it was on the back of someone’s usual seat.

The older teachers are great and get along with the pupils well getting good results with lots of encouragement . They were the ones who got to school early and last to finish. You could have a good intelligent chat with them. Sadly most are nearing retirement age.

Oh yeh i can relate definitely! I’ve had some pretty bad TAs, but i don’t agree with branding them all as useless. We’ve all been students and have likely all experienced being ‘taught’ by TAs so of course we’re critical of them, but you’re going to find people bad at all sorts of jobs, however we don’t necessarily see that as we’re not in those environments as much as we have been in schools (that’s my take on it, anyway). People try, sometimes that’s not good enough, but they do try, and so when you label a whole category of workers as being bone idle or not having a ‘proper’ job, it completely discredits the efforts of those who actually do their job and care about what they do. I do agree with you that there should probably be reconsideration in who’s being hired for jobs like TAs, but perhaps it would be less ignorant of you to avoid saying teaching is not a proper job, because proper teachers, not TAs, are almost always hard working and deserve full respect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending