The Student Room Group

Capital letters for subjects in personal statement

Hi there,

My UCAS tutor told me that I should be consistent with all the capital letters used to refer to subjects, she suggested that I should use lower case letters instead. However, at one point, I mentioned A-level Psychology, surely this one will have to be capitalised? What shall I do?
Reply 1
Original post by cat1234!
Hi there,

My UCAS tutor told me that I should be consistent with all the capital letters used to refer to subjects, she suggested that I should use lower case letters instead. However, at one point, I mentioned A-level Psychology, surely this one will have to be capitalised? What shall I do?

Yes you would be correct haha. Just keep it capitalised? Your UCAS tutor is not going to be right about everything:smile:
If its an academic subject, exam title or course, convention is that its History.
However, 'the history of..' etc is lower case.
Reply 3
Original post by Knav
Yes you would be correct haha. Just keep it capitalised? Your UCAS tutor is not going to be right about everything:smile:

So just to check for other subjects, if I don't put A-level in front, I should use lower cases for all of them?(of course except for language subjects)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If its an academic subject, exam title or course, convention is that its History.

Ah okay, so even when I mention other subjects such as Maths without A-level in front. I still need it to be capitalised?
So just to check for other subjects, if I don't put A-level in front, I should use lower cases for all of them?(of course except for language subjects)

"Whilst studying history ..." but "Within my History course".
Reply 6
"Whilst studying history ..." but "Within my History course".

If it's my study of history, it's lower case as well right?
If it's my study of history, it's lower case as well right?

Yes.
Reply 8
Yes.

Would they reject my application because I've used capital letters for all the a level subjects I'm doing?

An academic subject isn’t a proper noun (nor is a group of courses “history degrees”) :rofl:

Lots of academic staff capitalise their subjects but that’s not correct - it’s fascinating to compare editorial style guides for universities with their formal documentation like programme specs. University staff are almost universally terrible at understanding and following standard grammar rules.

Either way capitalisation of subjects isn’t going to be a deal breaker in getting an offer or not.
Would they reject my application because I've used capital letters for all the a level subjects I'm doing?

OP read
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/Style%20Guide%20HT2016.pdf And show it to your teacher and then stick with what you were doing in the first place (or rephrase your sentence so that you’re talking about your current studies instead of specifically A level x)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending