The Student Room Group

Parents annoyed because I’ve gotten my first period

Soo I’ve just gotten my first period about I would say 3 days ago? I’m turning 14 in about 2 months, I told my mum and she called me names and got annoyed at me. The next day when I came back from school she kept pestering me about it saying I would grow 6-8 more cm if I exercise every day and I know she’ll force me and get angry if I don’t do enough for her. Her and my dad complained that I’m too short and they are going to cook me some weird formula to help me get taller.

I don’t understand why they are annoyed and obsessed about talking about it because it’s my job to love myself not theres and anyways it’s my height and nobody really asked for their comments in the first place. She’s still going on about it when it’s not even that big of a deal, it’s just blood for a week or so once a month, cramps , headaches , mood swings and cleaning up. But I can deal with it. Seriously they are acting like I’m 5 years old or something.

Some people have to go through so much pain and pressure since they cannot have their period/kids and they’re doing this? Any opinions or advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also apparently 80% of your height is based on genes and my mum is like, 5’3 and I’m 5’2 and she keeps saying I did not grow because I kept eating crisps and I’m malnourished, her words hurt and they kind of annoy me seeing that I got her 80% of genes.
Any chance your parents have a different culture to British in some cultures there's a lot more stigma around periods
Reply 3
Original post by josie71202
Any chance your parents have a different culture to British in some cultures there's a lot more stigma around periods

I don’t know but they’re Hispanics.
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t know but they’re Hispanics.

it might be to do with the culture it could be otherwise but I'm not sure
Your parents are totally incorrect. The difficulty there is that they likely cannot be persuaded they're wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by Theloniouss
Your parents are totally incorrect. The difficulty there is that they likely cannot be persuaded they're wrong.

What is incorrect? :mute:
What is incorrect? :mute:

That exercise, weird cooking etc. will cause you to grow any significant amount (or that eating crisps inhibits growth).
Soo I’ve just gotten my first period about I would say 3 days ago? I’m turning 14 in about 2 months, I told my mum and she called me names and got annoyed at me. The next day when I came back from school she kept pestering me about it saying I would grow 6-8 more cm if I exercise every day and I know she’ll force me and get angry if I don’t do enough for her. Her and my dad complained that I’m too short and they are going to cook me some weird formula to help me get taller.

I don’t understand why they are annoyed and obsessed about talking about it because it’s my job to love myself not theres and anyways it’s my height and nobody really asked for their comments in the first place. She’s still going on about it when it’s not even that big of a deal, it’s just blood for a week or so once a month, cramps , headaches , mood swings and cleaning up. But I can deal with it. Seriously they are acting like I’m 5 years old or something.

Some people have to go through so much pain and pressure since they cannot have their period/kids and they’re doing this? Any opinions or advice?

Take no notice of their negativity - 13 is a completely normal age to start your period and a healthy part of reaching adulthood. Stay feisty - I guess you will need to keep questioning their judgement on things since they are so clearly wrong about this.
I think they're just scared you're growing up and they're bad at showing their emotions well lol

I'm sorry you had to deal with that
Original post by harrysbar
Take no notice of their negativity - 13 is a completely normal age to start your period and a healthy part of reaching adulthood. Stay feisty - I guess you will need to keep questioning their judgement on things since they are so clearly wrong about this.

Okay thanks.
Original post by MichaelMigs
I think they're just scared you're growing up and they're bad at showing their emotions well lol

I'm sorry you had to deal with that

Thanks.
I’m pretty sure I once read your growth plates fuse around 2 years after your first period. Also they shouldn’t be annoyed at something you can’t control?
Sounds completely weird and disturbing that they would react like this. Your body is growing and changing naturally, your period and your height are natural and normal. I'm guessing they do other weird and possibly abusive stuff too. You have rights and should contact police or social services if you feel you are suffering.
That's so weird, it's a natural thing. Most girls get periods and it's what happens when you're between the ages of like 10 and 15. It's totally normal , I don't know why your parents think you stop once you've got your period . I got mine 5 years ago and I stopped growing around two years after because that's normally when you stop growing not as soon as you start it. Also what's wrong with being short ? What you eat has nothing to do with height , I'm pretty sure , it's more genetics
Original post by gracieee16
That's so weird, it's a natural thing. Most girls get periods and it's what happens when you're between the ages of like 10 and 15. It's totally normal , I don't know why your parents think you stop once you've got your period . I got mine 5 years ago and I stopped growing around two years after because that's normally when you stop growing not as soon as you start it. Also what's wrong with being short ? What you eat has nothing to do with height , I'm pretty sure , it's more genetics

Exactly, I keep feeling them but they won’t use their ears to listen all they can do is blame it on other stuff, they’ve not even said a word about genetics.
Exactly, I keep feeling them but they won’t use their ears to listen all they can do is blame it on other stuff, they’ve not even said a word about genetics.

*telling
Original post by Interea
Wait, do your parents think you stop growing when you get your period? I've never heard that one before, I've grown 4 inches since then

Uhm I’m not sure but my mum thinks I can only grow up to 2cm which is obviously not good enough for her.

Perhaps sit down with them and stay calm and talk about it with them or your mum if it feels awkward talking about periods in front of your dad - I get embarrassed lol. You can always talk to me on PM if you need to xxx
Original post by gracieee16
Perhaps sit down with them and stay calm and talk about it with them or your mum if it feels awkward talking about periods in front of your dad - I get embarrassed lol. You can always talk to me on PM if you need to xxx

Thank you xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending