The Student Room Group

eating and sleeping well but constantly tired and unmotivated?

I sleep 6-8hours (normally 7) eat a lot but I always feel like I haven’t slept properly or only slept 5 hours. I can’t study because my eyes literally shut. I’m always lying down because I feel a bit weak. I get headaches when I stretch or get up fast.

I searched it up and it just said stuff about exceesising and eating properly but I’m doing these things? Please help (I’m 16 and a girl for context)
Hi! Even though you’re eating a lot, you could still be deficient in something, eg iron. You should go to the doctors and get them to do some tests and tell them your symptoms. For the time being, perhaps start taking a multivitamin daily, and try to get 8 hours sleep as that’s what you need. Hope this helps x
Could be lacking in vitamin D, especially if you're darker skin and your body generally requires more of it (which is difficult due to a lack of sun in the UK). Ask to be tested through GP and ask for vitamin D supplements.

Moving on, are you sleeping soundly for the entire duration or constantly waking up? And, what food are you eating? Eating plenty of fruit and veg? Sugary drinks and snacks will make you incredibly tired too.
See your GP - there could be something going on. Even if not, you'll be reassured and can then try and make lifestyle changes confident that they'll work :smile:
How’s your mental health doing?
You are not sleeping enough. You need more sleep than that at your age. Try increasing how much you sleep (I would aim for at least 8 hours, ideally 9) and if that doesn't help, it might be worth speaking to your GP to check whether you might need blood tests to exclude other causes of feeling tired.
Reply 6
Original post by lilbabypenguin
Hi! Even though you’re eating a lot, you could still be deficient in something, eg iron. You should go to the doctors and get them to do some tests and tell them your symptoms. For the time being, perhaps start taking a multivitamin daily, and try to get 8 hours sleep as that’s what you need. Hope this helps x

I do have iron deficiency and I take tablets for it! Thankyou
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
Could be lacking in vitamin D, especially if you're darker skin and your body generally requires more of it (which is difficult due to a lack of sun in the UK). Ask to be tested through GP and ask for vitamin D supplements.

Moving on, are you sleeping soundly for the entire duration or constantly waking up? And, what food are you eating? Eating plenty of fruit and veg? Sugary drinks and snacks will make you incredibly tired too.

Oh I am dark skinned. I sleep soundly yes. I will get some vit D supplements. I eat meats, veg, pasta, rice, etc. I don’t eat a lot of sugar except occasionally
Reply 8
Original post by becausethenight
See your GP - there could be something going on. Even if not, you'll be reassured and can then try and make lifestyle changes confident that they'll work :smile:

Okay I might go soon if it continues
Reply 9
Original post by Bumble18
How’s your mental health doing?

I’m not sure, I think I’m fine. I’m confident in myself and I love myself. What else is there to it? My close friend has been draining me mentally recently though
Original post by Anonymous
Oh I am dark skinned. I sleep soundly yes. I will get some vit D supplements. I eat meats, veg, pasta, rice, etc. I don’t eat a lot of sugar except occasionally

Most likely lacking vitamin D, especially considering it's winter. Get it checked with the GP and ask for supplements if low. Explain to the GP how you've been feeling, so they can do any other checks as well (like iron deficiency).

Quick Reply

Latest