The Student Room Group

What to wear to online uni interview

Hey. I know there's probably been this question asked somewhere else before but oh well-

Its for a medical school and I'm female. I haven't got anything like a blazer but I have got some smart, plain coloured blouses, and I have a couple of pairs of trousers which I could use. I do have a skirt and maybe a dress that I could wear too, but I have a biology practical and lessons straight after so I'd rather not wear these.

I'm just a bit worried because my computer webcam is pretty bad quality, and my blouses are black or dark green. I'm worried they might look like casual dress over webcam lol. Will they be okay?
pj bottoms and a shirt with a jumper over it so u can see the collar

try having better lighting too to help with the worry of camera quality !
(edited 3 years ago)
A blouse/ smart shirt is fine. You can’t really see much below the shoulders on webcam anyway, so you could literally be sitting in plain pyjamas and it would be fine (I don’t recommend doing that for an interview, but you get my drift).
Original post by brokestudent3
pj bottoms and a shirt with a jumper over it so u can see the collar

try having better lighting too to help with the worry of camera quality !

Original post by Mesopotamian.
A blouse/ smart shirt is fine. You can’t really see much below the shoulders on webcam anyway, so you could literally be sitting in plain pyjamas and it would be fine (I don’t recommend doing that for an interview, but you get my drift).

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it :smile: I think I'm just overthinking it!

As much as I wish I could wear pj bottoms, I'm doing it in my sixth form office and don't wanna get judged by the receptionists 😂
Original post by tipexmaster25
Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it :smile: I think I'm just overthinking it!

As much as I wish I could wear pj bottoms, I'm doing it in my sixth form office and don't wanna get judged by the receptionists 😂

that’s such a shame😩 at least have like smart casual then so you’re a bit comfy
Buy a new Webcam? Given all the hours of effort you've spent getting to this stage, a £50 webcam is a wise investment.

If finance is a problem, ask your school - they will 100% have funds for things like this.
Original post by bong69rip420
Buy a new Webcam? Given all the hours of effort you've spent getting to this stage, a £50 webcam is a wise investment.

If finance is a problem, ask your school - they will 100% have funds for things like this.

It's not really that much of an issue. I doubt any medical admissions staff is going to reject an applicant because they have a dodgy webcam - God knows half of lecturers and university staff don't have great WiFi themselves so they'll be more than understanding.
It's not really that much of an issue. I doubt any medical admissions staff is going to reject an applicant because they have a dodgy webcam - God knows half of lecturers and university staff don't have great WiFi themselves so they'll be more than understanding.

You want to give yourself every advantage - if you’re the only candidate grainy and pixelated, it’s far easier to build a report with other candidates who you can see and interact with easier.
Original post by bong69rip420
You want to give yourself every advantage - if you’re the only candidate grainy and pixelated, it’s far easier to build a report with other candidates who you can see and interact with easier.

I can assure you that they will not judge a candidate by the quality of their webcam so there is really no need to spend £50 on a new webcam for a one-off (or 4-off) event.
As I’ve already said, the university team probably won’t be much better off and they’ll be understanding because university teaching has moved online at least partially, so staff have already experienced every technical problem under the sun with each other and students.
Audio is more important, as long as the OP can be heard well enough and they have a stable WiFi connection, they’ll be fine.
Reply 9
I just wore a white suit when I had my hku interview online on 13/11/2020
I can assure you that they will not judge a candidate by the quality of their webcam so there is really no need to spend £50 on a new webcam for a one-off (or 4-off) event.
As I’ve already said, the university team probably won’t be much better off and they’ll be understanding because university teaching has moved online at least partially, so staff have already experienced every technical problem under the sun with each other and students.
Audio is more important, as long as the OP can be heard well enough and they have a stable WiFi connection, they’ll be fine.

Yep, would second this.
Hey. I know there's probably been this question asked somewhere else before but oh well-

Its for a medical school and I'm female. I haven't got anything like a blazer but I have got some smart, plain coloured blouses, and I have a couple of pairs of trousers which I could use. I do have a skirt and maybe a dress that I could wear too, but I have a biology practical and lessons straight after so I'd rather not wear these.

I'm just a bit worried because my computer webcam is pretty bad quality, and my blouses are black or dark green. I'm worried they might look like casual dress over webcam lol. Will they be okay?

Sharp, plain & comfortable.

You just need the outfit to look ok and blend. Ultimately they aren’t paying attention to this & you shouldn’t over think it either.

Have a look at photos/videos of staff and students at the med school. They won’t dress anything like as formally as you think. Wear what’s comfortable so you’re not fiddling with an uncomfortable collar or cold in a flimsy blouse.
they’re interested in what you say not how you look.
Original post by mnot
Sharp, plain & comfortable.

You just need the outfit to look ok and blend. Ultimately they aren’t paying attention to this & you shouldn’t over think it either.

Ok, thankyou!
Original post by PQ
Have a look at photos/videos of staff and students at the med school. They won’t dress anything like as formally as you think. Wear what’s comfortable so you’re not fiddling with an uncomfortable collar or cold in a flimsy blouse.
they’re interested in what you say not how you look.

That's a great idea, I'll do that now. Thanks for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending