The Student Room Group

Will the covid vaccine be mandatory for people going on a year abroad to Asia?

I'm doing a Japanese language course at uni. My year abroad in Japan is 2021-2022. I am not anti vaxx and it pains me that I feel this way but I really do not want to get the covid vaccine. It was developed far too quickly for me to feel comfortable and safe with getting it, and I've heard all sorts of nasty stories about side effects and death, and now it's even being said that it can affect women's fertility. Does anyone know if it will be mandatory for students going on a year abroad to Asia (specifically Japan) to get the vaccine? I want to be a mother more than anything else, so not to be dramatic but if it is mandatory and there's even the slightest chance it could affect fertility I am willing to drop out of my dream course.
I've not heard anything about the vaccine being mandatory for students hoping to study abroad, I don't think students are a priority group by any means, but it is a possibility that if you have to study abroad they will ask you to take it maybe.

But honestly, do not worry! I think your fears comes from a lack of research. I'd recommend just collecting a bunch of scientific articles about the vaccine, watching some videos, reading about all the research that went into the vaccine.
You're scared that the vaccine was produced too quickly. There's a reason for that. Usually vaccines take years to produce because after every stage they need to get more funding, which takes a lot of time. There wasn't this problem with the COVID vaccine as it was being funded by governments, businessmen, basically everyone with money who needs the economy to recover as soon as possible. Also so many scientists were working on this, and they had no trouble finding volunteers, so that's why it was so quick to produce. But don't listen to me, do research, that's the only way you'll calm your fears about this.
And regarding the side effects, it's like any other vaccine, and you're not scared about those! The side effects stories I've heard are all from people with allergies or some sort of problems that made the side effects begin, not the vaccine itself! Once again, I'd urge you to do some research, I know how scary it sounds but it's genuinely nothing to worry about! If the Queen trusts it, you can! :smile:
Original post by chloenix
And regarding the side effects, it's like any other vaccine, and you're not scared about those!

Don’t listen to this. You know you can look up a vaccine’s side effects- these are based on symptoms that people have reported after having it. This could be short term or long term. Other vaccines have been around much longer, hence we know if there are such issues, but you cannot see if there are long term effects from a trial. Also there have been no trials on pregnant women so you don’t know how it effects pregnancy. If Asia puts restrictions on travel if you have no vaccine, you should get it otherwise just wait.

edit: pregnancy or fertility
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by linedpaper
Don’t listen to this. You know you can look up a vaccine’s side effects- these are based on symptoms that people have reported after having it. This could be short term or long term. Other vaccines have been around much longer, hence we know if there are such issues, but you cannot see if there are long term effects from a trial. Also there have been no trials on pregnant women so you don’t know how it effects pregnancy. If Asia puts restrictions on travel if you have no vaccine, you should get it otherwise just wait.

Students are not on a priority list, and therefore OP has a while before she would have to take it. If she wants to look into the side effects, as I said, I would suggest you she does actual research which would undoubtedly make her feel much less worried. I was very worried about taking it before, but then I spent a day just reading every scientific article I could find and there is really nothing to worry about-and I worry about everything.
And if you read the post, OP is not pregnant, she is worried about the effect on her fertility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending