The Student Room Group

Feel like I physically can't catch up

(first year) I've been struggling with mental health problems and have fallen behind this semester already. I am more or less up to date in most of my modules, apart from one. I am about 8 lectures/4 chapters behind and catching up feels physically impossible with the amount of other work I have set. I haven't been able to do anything more than the bare minimum because of my mental health; I've done virtually no reading. I have little energy, can't concentrate, keep crying all of the time. I feel like such a failure because everyone else on my course seems to be coping well. I spoke to my personal tutor about it and they referred me to wellbeing, but didn't give much advice. Wellbeing aren't going to be able to help me with this. I feel so alone and like I'm just drowning.
Reply 1
Times are hard at the minute especially with mental health, is there anyone you can talk to about your work so that they can support you? Take things slowly everyone works at different paces so by doing lectures slowly it won't only seem like a lot, maybe you could write lists for each day so it doesn't seem too much. People also cope differently so don't ever feel like a failure you are amazing, you can do this! Online is so much harder but hopefully with the return of uni on the 8th of march this will help to support you, try not to feel overwhelmed with everything take time for yourself- self care is so important always take care of yourself do things you love, dancing to music, self care day, reading anything that calms you and takes you away from everyday life we all need a break sometimes. Also remember to talk about your feelings so you don't become overwhelmed whether with family, friends or on here make sure you let it out. If your really struggling you could speak to your doctor, there is also support online such as mind. Always remember your never alone, your are strong and you can get through his!
Original post by Anonymous
(first year) I've been struggling with mental health problems and have fallen behind this semester already. I am more or less up to date in most of my modules, apart from one. I am about 8 lectures/4 chapters behind and catching up feels physically impossible with the amount of other work I have set. I haven't been able to do anything more than the bare minimum because of my mental health; I've done virtually no reading. I have little energy, can't concentrate, keep crying all of the time. I feel like such a failure because everyone else on my course seems to be coping well. I spoke to my personal tutor about it and they referred me to wellbeing, but didn't give much advice. Wellbeing aren't going to be able to help me with this. I feel so alone and like I'm just drowning.

Hello!

I am sorry you are struggling at the moment with your module, University right now seems overwhelming and studying online is hard. It is good that you have reached out to your personal tutor, although it may feel like they haven't been able to help you, you may be able to apply for mitigating circumstances if you are struggling to hand your assignments in on time. Regarding your lectures and reading- Perhaps you can narrow this down deciding what you need for assignments and group discussions/ seminars. Also, it may help if you take your studies one step at a time as it can be a challenge to look at the amount as a whole. When I am behind on lectures and reading, I find that lists really help because then I can work on them at my own pace and tick them when completed.

I hope this helps:smile:
Gabrielle- University of Hull Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Would it help to get back in touch with your Personal Tutor?

I wonder whether what would help you would be a timetable arranged with your Tutor which enables you to catch up?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Trust me you’re not alone and you can still get through the year. I’ll be hones right now and say i’ve got something like 15 lectures to do from last semester still and right now i’m behind by maybe 10 but i’ve got a bunch of labs due so i can imagine that numbers only going to go up.

Last semester i felt so overwhelmed and so unworthy of being on my course that i cried to my tutor over zoom because i just couldn’t hold it in anymore.
This has been a damn hard year to start uni but you’ve gotten this far ! Remember than you only need to pass 1st year and if you’re up to date in most of your other modules try not to see that one module as the be all and end all.

I know how hard it is, i’ve been right there with you, not feeling myself, crying all the time, feeling like i can’t keep up with work and yet knowing i’m procrastinating etc. You will get past it.

Maybe try speaking to well-being or even if you don’t want to try speaking to your tutor again if they’re willing to help you. You could possibly be able to get deadlines moved etc if anything like that has you worrying.

You can get through this even if it seems impossible right now x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending