The Student Room Group

16 girl: Want to drive a moped

Im 16 and really wanna learn how to drive a moped. I've done my research and the CBT training thing cost £150 in my area. However, my mum is seriously opposed to it , saying its dangerous (which i understand). However, i really want to learn, so , would u recommend it or not?? **If my mum doesn't budge then ill have to wait until im 18
My reasons: love biking
Think girls on mopeds/motorbikes look even better :biggrin:
Original post by future_11
Im 16 and really wanna learn how to drive a moped. I've done my research and the CBT training thing cost £150 in my area. However, my mum is seriously opposed to it , saying its dangerous (which i understand). However, i really want to learn, so , would u recommend it or not?

No. It is dangerous - lots of scope to die without it even being your fault. You are less visible to other drivers and more vulnerable, both in an impact and from being able to fall off (ice, gravel, diesel, misjudged cornering). I appreciate the draw of the freedom that it may represent, but wearing full leathers would be a pain, and not doing so too .. skin grafts aren't fun. You can't fall off a car (if you're doing it right).

I was attracted by the performance of larger motorbikes, but I have never had one because I know that I would find their limits in a bad way.

IMO, the UK should not allow mopeds at an earlier age than cars - that's a problem. In California you can have a full(ish) driving license from 16 (14 in some circumstances).
It’s a death trap. Don’t waste your money.
Wouldn’t bother unless you really need transportation and tbh I realised that a 50cc is more dangerous than a 125cc simply because its not fast enough to get yourself out of danger if needed.
If you can learn it and also learn to drive, then why not really.
Reviving a dead thread (whoops) but its clear no one here rides. You're 17 now so can ride a 125cc (this info can work for future people who visit this too) and thats the only thing i would recommend. A 50 CC isnt quick enough to remove you from danger. Thats one area of your space cushion now gone. Big problem when your only option is to blast out of a situation. Other than that, take all the courses you can afford, don't be a **** and enjoy the ride!
(edited 3 years ago)
No

Reply 7
Original post by NightRavne
Reviving a dead thread (whoops) but its clear no one here rides. You're 17 now so can ride a 125cc (this info can work for future people who visit this too) and thats the only thing i would recommend. A 50 CC isnt quick enough to remove you from danger. Thats one area of your space cushion now gone. Big problem when your only option is to blast out of a situation. Other than that, take all the courses you can afford, don't be a **** and enjoy the ride!

aha thank you *one year later* :biggrin:
I get some people love bikes and all but i just don't see the point with amount of risks? i had a friend who defended bikes all day long and always had a bike until one day was knocked off by a van which if he was driving a car would of been fine, mopeds and bikes are just death traps waiting to happen, get a car.
Reply 9
It all depends on why. If it's just to enjoy a ride, then maybe not - I'm 17 now and have been driving a car for 5 months but just after turning 16 I took my CBT and got a moped.

For getting to college and my local football games it was awesome! I wasn't fond of the 30mph speed cap as I did think it made it more dangerous, but nonetheless having the bike made it easier to commute and all around made things cheaper for me. It cost me around £2000 total which covered: CBT, brand new moped, jacket, boots, gloves, helmet, tax & insurance. There are probably some other things in there too, to be honest.

Petrol was dirt cheap, which is definitely what made it worth it. I'd use it for the likes of nipping to the supermarket, going to/from college, sports games, etc. and I didn't regret getting it.

Although, as aforementioned, they're dangerous. Especially 50cc bikes. Cars would overtake me without care, pull out on me, pedestrians would often walk out in front as well. Driving on fast roads was somewhat intimidating when trying to stick to the side and let cars overtake, but I managed to avoid them when I needed to.

I'll be honest and for probably a month or two before I turned 17, I took my dads 125cc out a lot since he wasn't home, and this felt much better to ride in terms of road safety and keeping up with the flow of traffic, but still had its risks, of course.

So to finalise, if its for fun, don't bother, if you'll actually use it for commuting a lot, then go for it.

** awkward moment when I realise this is a year old.... someone may find this useful I guess! lol
Reply 10
I've just bought a 50cc and i'm 16.Besides the safety aspect i'm also concerned about the image tbh - did people make fun of you for having a moped or did they think it was cool at 16?Don't want to look like a **** lol
Original post by Rhys_M
I've just bought a 50cc and i'm 16.Besides the safety aspect i'm also concerned about the image tbh - did people make fun of you for having a moped or did they think it was cool at 16?Don't want to look like a **** lol

L plate mopeds are often driven by 16 year olds with no driving experience and having taken no actual test (the CBT is impossible to fail); I've seen lots of them being driven stupidly with the riders clearly having no clue about the rules of the road (e.g. who has the right of way), not to mention most can only do 30 mph which is potentially very dangerous. My opinion is that there is a certain stereotypical image of moped drivers, yes.
Reply 12
Thanks for your input - At least my helmet will give me anonymity lol
I know I’m reviving a old thread but in terms of looks i personally think getting a lexmoto hunter/ aspire or Yamasaki ym50 is the way to go. Since they’re 50cc engines you can ride at 16 on a cbt and they look amazing in my opinion and not like a usual moped and also quite affordable also Im sure lexmoto said all there bikes made after 2017 can run on e10. But I’m 16 next week and hoping to do the cbt soon as so I’m speaking from an outside point of view not experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending