The Student Room Group

Serious change of circumstance - need help

Hi there,

I am currently in the second year of my course and have recently had a big change in my living situation that has greatly affected the amount of financial support I receive.

In January, my mum and her long-term boyfriend separated and she is now renting alone. In my first year of uni, I gave SFE their financial information and received the minimum loan as he was earning well over the maximum salary to receive any extra. In my second year, I didn't give SFE any of their financial information as I knew that their situation hadn't changed, therefore I received the minimum again. However, I can no longer afford to live at uni and need to change the amount of money I receive from SFE for the remaining payment this month. My mum earns less than £25,000 a year, therefore without her ex-boyfriends financial information included, I am entitled to the maximum loan.

The problem I have is that on the 'Change your application' section of my SFE account, I am unable to request a change in the amount of money I receive as I did not send SFE my mum and her ex-boyfriends financial information at the start of the year. It is showing that the maximum total I can request from them is the minimum loan amount, which is £4,168.

I am writing on here as I am in desperate need of some support with this and can't currently get in contact with SFE. Is it possible for me to receive a change in the amount of maintenance loan I get for this upcoming payment if I send them my mums financial information for the previous year?

Thank you.
Original post by Harrytaylorj
Hi there,

I am currently in the second year of my course and have recently had a big change in my living situation that has greatly affected the amount of financial support I receive.

In January, my mum and her long-term boyfriend separated and she is now renting alone. In my first year of uni, I gave SFE their financial information and received the minimum loan as he was earning well over the maximum salary to receive any extra. In my second year, I didn't give SFE any of their financial information as I knew that their situation hadn't changed, therefore I received the minimum again. However, I can no longer afford to live at uni and need to change the amount of money I receive from SFE for the remaining payment this month. My mum earns less than £25,000 a year, therefore without her ex-boyfriends financial information included, I am entitled to the maximum loan.

The problem I have is that on the 'Change your application' section of my SFE account, I am unable to request a change in the amount of money I receive as I did not send SFE my mum and her ex-boyfriends financial information at the start of the year. It is showing that the maximum total I can request from them is the minimum loan amount, which is £4,168.

I am writing on here as I am in desperate need of some support with this and can't currently get in contact with SFE. Is it possible for me to receive a change in the amount of maintenance loan I get for this upcoming payment if I send them my mums financial information for the previous year?

Thank you.

Good Afternoon Harry,

Your mother would complete the PFF2 form here > https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2021/ft/sfe_pff2_form_2021_o.pdf and you would complete the include household income form here > https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2021/ft/sfe_nmt_to_mt_form_2021_o.pdf and we can reassess the 20/21 application. She should also include a cover letter confirming when they separated and evidence of this, for example a council tax bill showing the single persons discount.

For 21/22 you would apply as normal and have your mother support the application online.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Original post by Shaun SFE
Good Afternoon Harry,

Your mother would complete the PFF2 form here > https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2021/ft/sfe_pff2_form_2021_o.pdf and you would complete the include household income form here > https://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/2021/ft/sfe_nmt_to_mt_form_2021_o.pdf and we can reassess the 20/21 application. She should also include a cover letter confirming when they separated and evidence of this, for example a council tax bill showing the single persons discount.

For 21/22 you would apply as normal and have your mother support the application online.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Where/how do I send these forms? Thanks Shaun, really appreciate the help.
Original post by Harrytaylorj
Where/how do I send these forms? Thanks Shaun, really appreciate the help.

They can be uploaded to the online account or sent to the address on the document itself.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending