The Student Room Group

Bursaries are kinda unfair

I think bursaries are unfair.

The college bus costs £400 a year. I have two close friends which both take this bus with me. One of my friends works at the same place I do.

Both of my friends get bursaries because of their parents income which means the bus for them is free and they get paid £100 every 3 months by the college.

I, on the other hand, am not eligible for a bursary since both my parents work and the household income is over the threshold. But my parents do not pay for my bus. I am the one that has to pay. Because I have a job and work a few hours a week, they do not give me any pocket money and I have to pay for all my expenses myself, school bus included.

I just feel like the whole bursaries business is not fair. Here I am having to pay £400 out of my own pocket while my friends get a free bus and a bonus of £300.

Ik this might sound jealous but I’m legit frustrated that I have to work my ass off while they get free money.

Scroll to see replies

No yeah I completely get you. I thought it was unfair also. My parents both work but my mother is constantly in debt. And we can’t seem so afford a lot these days. She even had to take money off my brother (because he works too) many times just so that she can pay for her own bus tickets or pay a loan. Naturally it meant that I was jealous of my friends who have that sort of stuff. Feels like they are better off than me.
Original post by Anonymous

The college bus costs £400 a year. I have two close friends which both take this bus with me. One of my friends works at the same place I do.

Both of my friends get bursaries because of their parents income which means the bus for them is free and they get paid £100 every 3 months by the college.

I, on the other hand, am not eligible for a bursary since both my parents work and the household income is over the threshold. But my parents do not pay for my bus. I am the one that has to pay. Because I have a job and work a few hours a week, they do not give me any pocket money and I have to pay for all my expenses myself, school bus included.

I just feel like the whole bursaries business is not fair. Here I am having to pay £400 out of my own pocket while my friends get a free bus and a bonus of £300.

Ik this might sound jealous but I’m legit frustrated that I have to work my ass off while they get free money.

This will be an unpopular opinion on TSR but I do understand where you are coming from.

However, this way, you will know the value of money and how to invest and save whereas they probably won’t.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah, I can understand your frustration. I think you should be allowed to get bursaries. What kind of jobs do your parents have? Are there jobs low pay?
Reply 4
No yeah I completely get you. I thought it was unfair also. My parents both work but my mother is constantly in debt. And we can’t seem so afford a lot these days. She even had to take money off my brother (because he works too) many times just so that she can pay for her own bus tickets or pay a loan. Naturally it meant that I was jealous of my friends who have that sort of stuff. Feels like they are better off than me.

Fortunately for me my parents don’t have any debt but that doesn’t change the fact that they won’t even give me a penny. They live strictly by the fact that I have my own money and I should use it. I put every pound in my savings and I do everything I can to avoid spending as I’m scared they won’t help me out in uni at all and my maintenance loan is looking to be only about £4000 at most due to their wages which probably won’t even be enough to cover accommodation never mind anything else. I’ll be turning 18 in a few months and I know they will make me pay rent and I’m honestly happy that they at least pay for food.
Reply 5
Original post by RosesOnRaindrops
Yeah, I can understand your frustration. I think you should be allowed to get bursaries. What kind of jobs do your parents have? Are there jobs low pay?

My dad is a driver and my mum works in a warehouse, looking at about £50,000 a year
more like 60,000 and so u are pretty well off u probably live in a nice house as well
I actually agree with you OP, and it's particularly apparent in the student finance system. Just because someone's parents earn over a particular amount, it doesn't mean they're able to or want to subsidise their child's living expenses at university. Ironically, when my sister was at uni it was her flatmates with the bigger loans who blew their money within a month of receiving it and had to survive on Asda's own brand noodles for the rest of the semester whereas my sister - with the smaller loan - managed to budget properly and always had enough for the essentials.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jack456789
more like 60,000 and so u are pretty well off u probably live in a nice house as well

I live in a 2 bed flat, my parents sleep in the living room and I have the smaller room where as my sister gets the bigger one but it’s not even big
Household income is the best measure for a bursary. Its simple, consistent, universally understood.

Parents attitude to education, willingness to contribute towards their children's expenses, their household expenditure and budgeting skills are far too complicated to measure and process.

You should pat yourself on the back for holding down a job, investing in your own education and wanting to contribute to household expenses.

Unfortunately, sometimes those who are bought up on 'free money', in workless households etc just dont develop a work ethic. They've never witnessed it at home and they absorb attitudes that its not worth putting in any extra effort. Because their income isnt earned, employment gets seen as an activity that wastes the person's freetime and a nuisance.
I live in a 2 bed flat, my parents sleep in the living room and I have the smaller room where as my sister gets the bigger one but it’s not even big

ah sorry to hear dat bro, me and my brother been through that aswell , but it doesnt really add up considering ur parents earn quite a decent amount im guessing then u must live in london
I agree.
Bursaries shouldn't depend upon the parents earnings or household income.
Should be conditional upon personal achievement, attendance or to boost participation in specific subjects/societies/extra-curriculars.
Original post by londonmyst
I agree.
Bursaries shouldn't depend upon the parents earnings or household income.
Should be conditional upon personal achievement, attendance or to boost participation in specific subjects/societies/extra-curriculars.

Parents income is the best measure.

If you base it on a lot of the qualities that you list, then bursaries will be diverted from the poorest and vulnerable to the sharp elbowed middle classes.

Someone who is a caregiver, for example, may struggle with their attendance and performance so should be supported more by the college.
Parents income is the best measure.

If you base it on a lot of the qualities that you list, then bursaries will be diverted from the poorest and vulnerable to the sharp elbowed middle classes.

Someone who is a caregiver, for example, may struggle with their attendance and performance so should be supported more by the college.

I don't agree that parental or household income is the best possible measure.
Not everyone has living parents or reasonably behaved parents.
Nor are all adult relatives/legal guardians willing to provide details of their household income or any financial support for their children.

It is interesting that your focus seems to be upon social class.
Most teenage students from all social backgrounds in the uk have limited income of their own, do not have easy access to alternative accomodation away from parents and are thus very vulnerable to extremely negative reprisals if they get on the wrong side of the adult relative/s who controls household finances.

P.S Why are you posting through the anonymous feature? :confused:
Original post by londonmyst
I don't agree that parental or household income is the best possible measure.
Not everyone has living parents or reasonably behaved parents.
Nor are all adult relatives/legal guardians willing to provide details of their household income or any financial support for their children.

It is interesting that your focus seems to be upon social class.

P.S Why are you posting through the anonymous feature? :confused:

Household income is the best measure. The benefits system is mainly based on means testing (though some benefits are contribution based rather than assessed on income).

Everybody's focus should be on increasing low income students participation in education.

People are primarily self-interested and are incentivised to maximise what they get. Hence, the OPs resentment at their exclusion from a bursary despite having a greater income than some of their peers.

If students or their parents were permitted to influence bursaries by engineering their situations and self declare subjective factors, like their household expenses, level of interest in their childs education etc, then they would - the student finance system would collapse.

For orphaned students, or those estranged from their parents, there are protections in place.

Means testing bursaries is another form of protection to the public purse which offers a simple measure to help the most economically disadvantaged.
bursaries allow those from poorer families to go to a better education to stop the cycle of poverty. they are not unfair- they simply allow for a more equal ground

Hi I get your point here but your parents not giving you money doesn’t mean they can’t but they choose not to. The whole point of bursaries is to make things fairer. Your friends may work with you so earn an income but since their parents cannot give them money they get the bursary as supplements. I understand that it’s frustrating for you but in their case & usually anyone who receives bursaries they wouldn’t be able to go on the bus or even pay for ‘normal’ things like everyone else. Maybe you could ask your parents for some money/ allowance?
I know this is clearly a pretty unpopular opinion here clearly but I think if we gave out bursaries to everyone that would be a pretty hefty cost, thereby if we generally give it out to those who parents have a lower income then its a bit easier to generalise and see who might need it. However, as we can see here it doesn't always work and I think there should be exceptions to this so that if you are able to prove that you are the one paying not your parents or that your parents are unwilling to pay, then you should be entitled to the bursary. I don't think bursaries are inherently unfair though as they do normally somewhat work. Are you able to talk to your school to see if there is anything they can do? I know my college if you have any problems with paying then you are able to discuss it and they see what they can do.

Learn to drive or see if a famliy member could give you a lift
Learn to drive or see if a famliy member could give you a lift

The cost of learning how to drive+ a car+ insurance+ fuel would definitely exceed £400 a year. Plus idk about the OPs school but mine is a nightmare to get a parking permit
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending