The Student Room Group

Previous OU modules and future study

This is hypothetical at this point - but wondering if anyone can clarify ?
Over a few years, (some before 2012, and one or two after....)I did several modules with the OU (some as few as 10 credits); none were funded by loans.
Now I am thinking of applying to University of Sheffield, but have heard (not told officially) that each year of OU study (even if only 10 credits achieved in that year) will count as though it had been funded by a SFE tuition fee loan, and thus reduce eligibility for future loans...... if not, depending on what was achieved with th OU/how long it took, cancelling eligibility altogether?
Does anyone have a definitve answer to this? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by TheOldGrey
This is hypothetical at this point - but wondering if anyone can clarify ?
Over a few years, (some before 2012, and one or two after....)I did several modules with the OU (some as few as 10 credits); none were funded by loans.
Now I am thinking of applying to University of Sheffield, but have heard (not told officially) that each year of OU study (even if only 10 credits achieved in that year) will count as though it had been funded by a SFE tuition fee loan, and thus reduce eligibility for future loans...... if not, depending on what was achieved with th OU/how long it took, cancelling eligibility altogether?
Does anyone have a definitve answer to this? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, previous part time study does not affect eligibility for full time funding unless you received a qualification.

If your course at Sheffield is full time and if you have never had any previous full time study and you never gained a qualification from your part time study with the OU, then you should be eligible as long as you meet the residency criteria.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, previous part time study does not affect eligibility for full time funding unless you received a qualification.

If your course at Sheffield is full time and if you have never had any previous full time study and you never gained a qualification from your part time study with the OU, then you should be eligible as long as you meet the residency criteria.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you Isaac. I wasn't quite sure of the rules, as I know someone who, like me has I think about >100 L1 credits, and maybe one or two L2 30 credit modules, which is apparently equivalent to either Yr1 of a degree, or a Certificate of Higher Education - which again leaves the question of ineligibity, and if PARTLY ineligible, they are left with NO years' funding, as they took quite a few years to do the modules/CertHE and each year of OU study (even say 30 credits) canels out ONE full year of possible funding.
The only difference between us is she has CertHE, and I don't, even though I have enough modules to claim it...... But the difference in possible future steps seem quite alarming.
Is there clarification you could offer about these differences please?
Thank you Isaac. I wasn't quite sure of the rules, as I know someone who, like me has I think about >100 L1 credits, and maybe one or two L2 30 credit modules, which is apparently equivalent to either Yr1 of a degree, or a Certificate of Higher Education - which again leaves the question of ineligibity, and if PARTLY ineligible, they are left with NO years' funding, as they took quite a few years to do the modules/CertHE and each year of OU study (even say 30 credits) canels out ONE full year of possible funding.
The only difference between us is she has CertHE, and I don't, even though I have enough modules to claim it...... But the difference in possible future steps seem quite alarming.
Is there clarification you could offer about these differences please?

If the student gained a CertHE then their part time study will class as previous study in the entitlement calculation.

The entitlement calculation for a full time course is :
Length of course + one additional year - previous study = entitlement.

So if someone is going to study a 4 year level 6 course and they studied 3 years part time and received a CertHE, their calculation for full time funding will be:

4+1-3 =2 years of funding, they will be required to self fund the first 2 years of their new full time course.

If someone is going to study a 4 year level 6 course and they studied 7 years part time and never received a qualification, their calculation for full time funding will be:
4+1-0 = 5 years of funding available.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
If the student gained a CertHE then their part time study will class as previous study in the entitlement calculation.

The entitlement calculation for a full time course is :
Length of course + one additional year - previous study = entitlement.

So if someone is going to study a 4 year level 6 course and they studied 3 years part time and received a CertHE, their calculation for full time funding will be:

4+1-3 =2 years of funding, they will be required to self fund the first 2 years of their new full time course.

If someone is going to study a 4 year level 6 course and they studied 7 years part time and never received a qualification, their calculation for full time funding will be:
4+1-0 = 5 years of funding available.

Thanks, Isaac

Thanks again Isaac, and for this explanation...... This is not something (as far as I know) that the OU tells prospective students (some of whom wish to transfer to a brick university I suppose....); it seems somehow "wrong" that one year of part-time (unlikley to achieve the equivalent of one year of a degree - i.e.120 credits?), even if self-funded, cancels one full year of funding entitlement. Unless I am misunderstanding - AND if it all hinges on that Certificate (or Diploma). I almost can't believe that's true - although I am not doubting your knowledge.
Thanks again Isaac, and for this explanation...... This is not something (as far as I know) that the OU tells prospective students (some of whom wish to transfer to a brick university I suppose....); it seems somehow "wrong" that one year of part-time (unlikley to achieve the equivalent of one year of a degree - i.e.120 credits?), even if self-funded, cancels one full year of funding entitlement. Unless I am misunderstanding - AND if it all hinges on that Certificate (or Diploma). I almost can't believe that's true - although I am not doubting your knowledge.

Previous part time study does not affect eligibility to receive full time funding unless you have received a qualification
I assure you this info is correct.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Previous part time study does not affect eligibility to receive full time funding unless you have received a qualification
I assure you this info is correct.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac - I don't doubt what you are saying - but I guess my "issue" for want of a better word, is that the qualification achieved (effectively rubber-stamping a collection of possibly disparate modules) does not seem to warrant - especially if self-funded - exclusion from possible funding to complete a higher qualification.

It seems that she and I are at the same stage now - one WITH a qualification, and one without; even though I have taken quite a while longer I believe, to accumulate the credits. But to move forward, she has far fewer chance than I do, to continue, and to hopefully compete a degree at a brick university - unless it is also applied within the OU as well, and then that is not an option for her either. In which case, without the income to self-fund, how much further can she go....... and has never had any funding whatsoever. Seems unfair.

This is why I cannot help but wonder why that might be the case, not that I am doubting your information - but I fail to understand the rationale behind it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Isaac - I don't doubt what you are saying - but I guess my "issue" for want of a better word, is that the qualification achieved (effectively rubber-stamping a collection of possibly disparate modules) does not seem to warrant - especially if self-funded - exclusion from possible funding to complete a higher qualification.

It seems that she and I are at the same stage now - one WITH a qualification, and one without; even though I have taken quite a while longer I believe, to accumulate the credits. But to move forward, she has far fewer chnace than I do, to continue, and to hopefully compete a degree at a brick univeristy - unless it is also applied within the OU as well, and then that is not an option for her either. In which case, without the income to self-fund, how much further can she go....... and has never had any funding whatsoever. Seems unfair.

This is why I cannot help but wonder why that might be the case, not that I am doubting your information - but I fail to understand the rationale behind it.

That's fine, if I can help further or if you have more questions please let me know.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending