The Student Room Group

Finished exams and now have 4 months of nothing

Basically got no friends atm, and just want to get ready for uni life?

I want to start hitting the gym and lose weight, start getting to know central a bit better, engage in hobbies more and work on my mental health. I also want to learn to drive and get a licence.

More than anything, I want to go outside.

I only have one issue. I am completely broke, like £0.00 kinda broke. My parents flat out refuse to give me any money because they aren’t that rich, and I’m rejected for every job I apply for.

I have barely gone out the past year because of the pandemic and exams and am scared that if I don’t even have enough cash to make a simple bus ride that my mental health is going to be completely wrecked by the time I go to uni and I’ll fail my first year.

The only thing in walking distance of my area is a park. I literally have no clue what to do. I have zero contact with any of my old friends anymore and they now live in different parts of the country. Talking online just isn’t the same, and feels empty and depressing.

I am trying to plan these four months out so I can do things and work on becoming more social again, but having no money makes it so hard.

I’ve literally cried three times today and begged my mum to allow me to afford travel fees but she said no and started shouting at me for wasting money. I haven’t left the house for an entire month and feel agitated, depressed and constantly like I’m going to cry. My exams only ended last Friday. I wish I lived near nicer places but I don’t.

Going to the park just makes me miserable because the only time I go there is when I literally cannot do anything else and it’s empty and depressing.

I have so many goals and wishes but I feel I can’t meet even a single one of them because of the kind of household I’m stuck in. I feel pathetic and can’t stop spiralling into negativity.

I worked so hard to do well in my exams and my one single hope had been to enjoy this summer after so much struggling and countless failures. It really feels like without money and connections you truly are helpless in this world.

I feel even more pathetic when I see twelve year olds being able to go anywhere they want whatever the time of day and never having to worry about how much they spend. I wish I had such a free life like that, but these days I feel the overwhelming amount of restrictions I have because of my situation makes me feel constricted and hard to breathe.

When I try to explain anything to my parents they take it the wrong way and always put it back on me. I love my parents and I feel bad for them because they haven’t had a great life either but I wish they could sometimes be more understanding and just let me live a little.

I don’t know if I’m making any sense but I’m so distraught and sad I cant tell.
I understand how hard it can be when one feels isolated, defeated and sad. When no one is helping or listening.

I'm not going anonymous on this post so that you can message me privately if you want to. I will be your friend and I can be spread some positivity to you :smile:
Reply 2
Look at why you are being rejected for jobs. See if you can get feedback and have your CV reviewed.

You need to start getting out of the house for fresh air, sunshine and exercise. Try reconnecting with your friends.
Keep on looking for jobs too! You may have been rejected before but new ones will come up and you can get something. Care homes are always looking for people, hospitality too. Something will be possible. Or volunteer in a local charity shop - you will meet people plus you then have shop experience and a reference to help you get a paid job. Also you can follow exercise routines on youtube or do couch to 5k (and use the local park for it) Is there any jobs you could do at home to earn some pocket money too -eg, clean the car, housework - which may give you enough for at least a bus fare!
Original post by Anonymous
Basically got no friends atm, and just want to get ready for uni life?

I want to start hitting the gym and lose weight, start getting to know central a bit better, engage in hobbies more and work on my mental health. I also want to learn to drive and get a licence.

More than anything, I want to go outside.

I only have one issue. I am completely broke, like £0.00 kinda broke. My parents flat out refuse to give me any money because they aren’t that rich, and I’m rejected for every job I apply for.

I have barely gone out the past year because of the pandemic and exams and am scared that if I don’t even have enough cash to make a simple bus ride that my mental health is going to be completely wrecked by the time I go to uni and I’ll fail my first year.

The only thing in walking distance of my area is a park. I literally have no clue what to do. I have zero contact with any of my old friends anymore and they now live in different parts of the country. Talking online just isn’t the same, and feels empty and depressing.

I am trying to plan these four months out so I can do things and work on becoming more social again, but having no money makes it so hard.

I’ve literally cried three times today and begged my mum to allow me to afford travel fees but she said no and started shouting at me for wasting money. I haven’t left the house for an entire month and feel agitated, depressed and constantly like I’m going to cry. My exams only ended last Friday. I wish I lived near nicer places but I don’t.

Going to the park just makes me miserable because the only time I go there is when I literally cannot do anything else and it’s empty and depressing.

I have so many goals and wishes but I feel I can’t meet even a single one of them because of the kind of household I’m stuck in. I feel pathetic and can’t stop spiralling into negativity.

I worked so hard to do well in my exams and my one single hope had been to enjoy this summer after so much struggling and countless failures. It really feels like without money and connections you truly are helpless in this world.

I feel even more pathetic when I see twelve year olds being able to go anywhere they want whatever the time of day and never having to worry about how much they spend. I wish I had such a free life like that, but these days I feel the overwhelming amount of restrictions I have because of my situation makes me feel constricted and hard to breathe.

When I try to explain anything to my parents they take it the wrong way and always put it back on me. I love my parents and I feel bad for them because they haven’t had a great life either but I wish they could sometimes be more understanding and just let me live a little.

I don’t know if I’m making any sense but I’m so distraught and sad I cant tell.

Hey there try and see if you can do a remote job!! There are some jobs like data entry where they will pay quite a bit. Other than that, you could try and do an online marketing porfolio on canva and try and see if u can get a job promoting a company's social media. I have no friends as well in uni but since I've started working its made me feel so much better and I feel like I have purpose.

Good luck!!
Reply 5
Have you looked at any local supermarkets to see whether they are taking on temporary staff?

They really seem to need staff at the moment.

Something you should try is going to the park every morning, there are benefits to getting out in the daylight earlier in the day.

When you think about it, you know, your start date at Uni isn't that far away, four months or so. That's sixteen weeks, which will go in a flash.

Don't slide into a situation where you keep crying. It doesn't make things any better. Go outside for a walk or a run instead.

Which Uni are you going to, by the way?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending