The Student Room Group

Do I still need to meet the standard entry requirements if eligible for a contextual

^ My predicted grades meet the standard entry requirements (except two which include the choice I'm considering placing as firm and my aspirational choice which is harder to get into). If I am eligible for the contextual offer, does this mean that my predicted grades don't have to be the grades for the standard entry? Or do I still have to meet those standard entry grades?
Firstly it isnt predicted grades that count but the actual ones in exam. As far as predicted grades are concerned universities use them in different ways. Some dont use them at all. Some look for predicted grades above their entry requirements whilst others make offers to students whose predicted grades dont meet their entry requirements. This allows for students who do better than their predictions.

Basically if you are entitled to a contextual offer then the university will offer you those grades if they are making an offer. The purpose of contextual offers is to attract students who are disadvantaged through schooling, post code or other social factors. If a university has an offer range of say A*AA-AAB then anyone who is entitled to a contextual offer is given AAB to achieve.
For unis that do use predicted grades in their offer making, they’ll be looking for you to be predicted in line with their contextual offer if you are eligible for it.
Original post by Admit-One
For unis that do use predicted grades in their offer making, they’ll be looking for you to be predicted in line with their contextual offer if you are eligible for it.

Thanks!
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly it isnt predicted grades that count but the actual ones in exam. As far as predicted grades are concerned universities use them in different ways. Some dont use them at all. Some look for predicted grades above their entry requirements whilst others make offers to students whose predicted grades dont meet their entry requirements. This allows for students who do better than their predictions.

Basically if you are entitled to a contextual offer then the university will offer you those grades if they are making an offer. The purpose of contextual offers is to attract students who are disadvantaged through schooling, post code or other social factors. If a university has an offer range of say A*AA-AAB then anyone who is entitled to a contextual offer is given AAB to achieve.

This kinda makes me confused. If Unis actually do this, then it's a bit unfair on the students. Especially if they're looking for grades higher than the entry requirements.
Original post by Mayski
This kinda makes me confused. If Unis actually do this, then it's a bit unfair on the students. Especially if they're looking for grades higher than the entry requirements.

Predicted grades are totally false. In past years 75% of students did not reach theirs and only 9% exceeded them. Schools make predictions differently. Some are strict and others very loose with them. There have been students on here who just get given what they want to meet the university they want to attend's standards. Universities are aware how unreliable they are so dont trust them. People with DDE have claimed they are predicted AAA.

It isnt unfair. Universities making higher offers are exceptions. However if a university is over subscribed they have to ways of differentiation. In top universities the grades shown are minimum grades and say Imperial for CS only makes offers to 1 in 20. Most students appplying there will far exceed the entry requirements so they have to decide who to take or not
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1

what about achieved grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending