The Student Room Group

Why can't Tesco just give me a bloody interview

I've completed at least 3 dozen of the "Online assessment" things for Tesco. It's the same set of questions every time, so my answers are mostly the same, so i have tried eveyr ttime to change, i've even got my parents to help, literally every single time I get rejected. How hard is it to work in tesco ffs, I'm a student whose predicted As and A*s in my a-levels, are you seriously trying to tell me I can't get a job at tesco?
Large high profile companies get bombarded with applications and many will be automatically rejected without an actual person considering the application They will also likely filter out people that reapply, particularly if you are doing it multiple times.

Unless you have a particular desire to wear one of their cheap blue uniforms, apply elsewhere.
Reply 2
Are you passing the online assessments?
Original post by Trilobite.
Large high profile companies get bombarded with applications and many will be automatically rejected without an actual person considering the application They will also likely filter out people that reapply, particularly if you are doing it multiple times.

Unless you have a particular desire to wear one of their cheap blue uniforms, apply elsewhere.

I've applied to loads of other places too. I recently got a job at a local pub, didn't even need an interview for that - but it's mostly weekends, and it pays minimum wage, so it's not really enough to be making thirty odd quid a week
Original post by Max1989
Are you passing the online assessments?

It says i'm not. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I've tried so many times, so many diferent combinations of answers, I've had help from my parents too ocassionally, and I still can't get it.
Reply 5
Original post by Ferrograd
It says i'm not. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I've tried so many times, so many diferent combinations of answers, I've had help from my parents too ocassionally, and I still can't get it.

Hmm, weird as that's arguably the easiest bit of the process, I expect you chose all the answers, but make sure to choose all the options that put the customer first, as that's what working in retail is all about.
I've personally experienced jobs like these that require little to no qualifications often look at people with high grades as being overqualified. They are somehow suspicious of why you want to apply there. Which is ridiculous because a job is a job especially in today's pandemic world.
I would leave out your grades apart from the basics like maths and english.
Do they ask you to upload a cv? If so maybe their problem lies in that. What makes you so keen to work at specifically Tesco anyway?
Reply 8
they've seen your weird threads on here
Original post by fish finger fan
Do they ask you to upload a cv? If so maybe their problem lies in that. What makes you so keen to work at specifically Tesco anyway?

They did, and I sent it, and it's pretty decent tbh. And I'm not keen to work there, it's just the only place that seems to always be hiring. I worked at iceland, i didnt like it, and ive been for a couple of co op interviews, last time i got selected for their "talent pool" but not the actual job which was annoying. Sainsburys are never hiring near me or the other ones, and iv'e failed every aldi and lidl one.
They did, and I sent it, and it's pretty decent tbh. And I'm not keen to work there, it's just the only place that seems to always be hiring. I worked at iceland, i didnt like it, and ive been for a couple of co op interviews, last time i got selected for their "talent pool" but not the actual job which was annoying. Sainsburys are never hiring near me or the other ones, and iv'e failed every aldi and lidl one.

You are not keen on working for Tesco and you didn't enjoy your previous experience in retail?

The thing with retail work is that while the skill requirements are low, you need the right attitude for a customer facing role. You don't have that. So, from Tesco's perspective, you aren't a very good candidate.

Have you looked outside of supermarkets and retail or do you specifically want that industry? There’s lots of hospitality ( e.g pubs) vacancies at the moment so that might be worth checking out.
Original post by fish finger fan
Have you looked outside of supermarkets and retail or do you specifically want that industry? There’s lots of hospitality ( e.g pubs) vacancies at the moment so that might be worth checking out.

I've applied for lots of pubs, had an interview for wetherspoons last week, still not heard back. I got a job in a pub near me but its not many hours and onlky weekends on minimum wage (£6.56)
I had the same problem too, I couldn’t find any job I applied so many times for Lidl and Tesco. The main fault was that on my CV I wrote I have completed my IT qualifications and listed on my cv I worked at the Council. I think this was the problem Lidl and Tesco probably thought I’m applying as temp, so I removed any professional qualifications and any work experience related to office work. I only listed my retail job experience jobs on my cv and for education I only written down my English grade and maths grade for gcse that’s it no college or uni degree mentioned. That’s how I started to get a few interviews incoming later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending